Frog Wyvern

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Frog Wyvern

Post by celt »

This Frog kit was given to me by a fellow club member,unfortunately the decals could not be used,so I made up a colour scheme.
As is my usual all paints are acrylic and slapped on by hairy stick.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Frog Wyvern

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Different .... but well executed !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

You're painting is better than ' slapped on' Celt. It looks very nice.

Nigel
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Very nice work, celt. Hairy stick or otherwise, that paint scheme looks great on the Wyvern.

...which gives me to think: if the USN had bought the Wyvern, what would they have designated it as? With that paint job (and, of course, the era in which the Wyvern was made), they would still be using the pre-1962 scheme. Now, the Wyvern in RN service was either a TF (torpedo fighter) or an S (Strike) type, which in USN parlance of the day would have been... TB or A -- not S, because that's an anti-submarine designation for them.

The manufacturer's code letter could be anything, as there are many examples of duplication, not least because there have been considerably more than 26 manufacturers over the years. That being the case, and since there are none of the major planemakers using the letter, let's say it was W (for Westland). The Wyvern would have been the first aircraft the USN bought from Westland, so no number would have been allocated, hence that rather nice example of whiffery and a CBK may be declared by authorial fiat to be a TBW or an AW Wyvern -- possibly both, as some types (e.g., the Vought Corsair) had more than one designation even when made by the same manufacturer (in the case of the Corsair, Vought-made aircraft were mostly F4Us, but some for the USMC were AUs).

So there you go -- you've added a little alternate history to the Wyvern and the US Navy, and it looks good, too. :mrgreen: :pilot:
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
celt

Post by celt »

jRatz wrote:Different .... but well executed !
Thanks very much.
Clashcityrocker wrote:You're painting is better than ' slapped on' Celt. It looks very nice.

Nigel
Much appreciated.
Tarkas wrote:Very nice work, celt. Hairy stick or otherwise, that paint scheme looks great on the Wyvern.

...which gives me to think: if the USN had bought the Wyvern, what would they have designated it as? With that paint job (and, of course, the era in which the Wyvern was made), they would still be using the pre-1962 scheme. Now, the Wyvern in RN service was either a TF (torpedo fighter) or an S (Strike) type, which in USN parlance of the day would have been... TB or A -- not S, because that's an anti-submarine designation for them.

The manufacturer's code letter could be anything, as there are many examples of duplication, not least because there have been considerably more than 26 manufacturers over the years. That being the case, and since there are none of the major planemakers using the letter, let's say it was W (for Westland). The Wyvern would have been the first aircraft the USN bought from Westland, so no number would have been allocated, hence that rather nice example of whiffery and a CBK may be declared by authorial fiat to be a TBW or an AW Wyvern -- possibly both, as some types (e.g., the Vought Corsair) had more than one designation even when made by the same manufacturer (in the case of the Corsair, Vought-made aircraft were mostly F4Us, but some for the USMC were AUs).

So there you go -- you've added a little alternate history to the Wyvern and the US Navy, and it looks good, too. :mrgreen: :pilot:
Thanks,much appreciated.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Nice work.

The dark blue colour scheme suits the Wyvern.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
celt

Post by celt »

splash wrote:Nice work.

The dark blue colour scheme suits the Wyvern.

Regards Splash
Thanks Splash,much appreciated.

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”