IMAI 1/72 Macross Gerwalk Valkyrie **FINISHED**

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

IMAI 1/72 Macross Gerwalk Valkyrie **FINISHED**

Post by JamesPerrin »

This was gratefully received present from Merlin at Huddersfield a couple of weeks ago as he knows I've a Macross thing especially these original IMAI kits.

The VF1 Valkyrie is a space fighter that can transform into a robot from the Macross anime series, a re-editted version of which became Robotech in the US. It also has a half way mode called Gerwalk (Ground Effective Reinforcement of Winged Armament with Locomotive Knee-joint) which it allows it to fight hand to hand but still fly about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VF-1_Valkyrie;

IMAI did produce kits that would transform into all three modes but they also released slightly cheaper kits that represented only one mode. Arms and legs are still pose-able, though this is from the days before polycaps and so joints can become lose and need attention. This kit can be finished in 3 schemes, two of which are for the main characters, the third is for the VF1A which it the cannon fodder variant in the anime. This is a nice hemp and white scheme and have picked it for this kit.

The main problem with these type of kits is that they need painting as you go along as many parts are trapped between others but are still visible and need to articulate. Bandai's modern Gundam kits are cleverly engineered to avoid seam lines but on these older kits they are a bit of pain, especially as the engineering is not as good and they do require cleanup.

Last night I glued all the part halves that don't entrap anything else and have sanded them down today. The other parts I've left on the sprue so that everything can get an initial coat of white primer. Though some will get sanded off later I've found it a useful step.

Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: IMAI 1/72 Macross Gerwalk Valkyrie

Post by JamesPerrin »

The nicely detailed cockpit was quickly painted with acrylics, there is a pilot to go in there later.

Some of the parts dissimilarly coloured from those they entrap, so I've prepainted the edges.

sesquipedalian
Getting well comfy!

Post by sesquipedalian »

Gerwalk mode looks really odd untill seen in context. Can't say I've ever bothered with either Gerwalk or Battroid (Humanoid/Bipedal) kits myself. :)
I like sanding.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

After a bit of sanding and filling of seams I've slapped a first coat of Humbrol Hemp over most of the require parts.

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Seems a lot more complex than I'd imagined, James...thought I'd given you something simple to play with!
Soz. :oops:

Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Don't worry Bruce I'm having a great time and it's all gone together quite quickly! It's just matter of a little planning and not treating it like and a/c kit where you do most of the painting at the end. Since it's too tricky to airbrush it means I can wheel out my hairy stick skills. My tin of Hemp is quite over twenty years old, read good, and is a delight to brush paint. I think these kits are better treated as large figures anyway.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've been patiently painting coats of Hemp on various pieces in between other build. Two coats out of the tin and then a thinned one to even things out. A coat of klear to get to a satin finish. Here's all the parts ready for the next stage...

... which was sitting down for an hour with a fine brush for and lining all the panel lines and detail with a dark wash. I know many of you hold strong opinions on accentuating panel lines and so do I. However with these mecha designs if panel lines are on the kit then they've probably be drawn in the anime at some point and form part of it's 'look'. That said wasn't going to do them in black! A dark brown wash was used which though especially appropriate looks better in general on any base colour.

I couldn't then resist to finally get some parts together. Some careful adjustment and fettling to minimise the seams between painted parts.

Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Very nice James, makes sense with the panel line emphasising, that they'd be drawn lines.

Cheers
Jim
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

And of course, it was the Japanese fascination for animé that created the trend for highlighted panel lines in the first place!
I have to say that I'm preferring your approach to the full-on black line. I believe that you can buy pens specifically for the purpose of Macrosse panel-lining.

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

A long decalling sess last night. Thin good colour depth but large amount of film. I used Klear on them as I remember from my youth they really don't like adhering otherwise. Unfortunately the kit's colour and decal instructions were missing but I managed to find a low res image of them on the net. Required some squinting to determine numbers and placement though.

Just done some painting of details too and now ready for the final assembly.

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I like the contrasting colours and yours looks way better than the boxart, James. Looking forward to seeing this done by a Macross master.

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

In the anime these beige Valkyries looked rather bland compared the the hero vehicles but once you get the all the details and decals on it does look rather cool. I do rather like Humbrol's Hemp colour too.

So all done now. It will happily stand by itself as the legs are reasonably stiff, though to position the arms requires some judicious blue-tack. No poly caps here just plastic on plastic, and I forgot to tighten the joints a I have previously by scoring the surface. I added a gun sling as it's shown in some images and I like the idea of a massive robot using hooking his gun over his shoulder.

Thanks again to you Bruce, this build has been a welcome distraction.

Performing a breaking manoeuvre ( and proves I paint the exhausts ;-) )

MerlinJones

Re: IMAI 1/72 Macross Gerwalk Valkyrie **FINISHED**

Post by MerlinJones »

That's well ace!

Regards,
Bruce
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Great work James, the pilot/driver/operator looks great, and those panel lines turned out super.

Cheers
Jim
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

I like it James, nice and sharp. Don't think I've ever seen one in beige.
No poly caps here just plastic on plastic, and I forgot to tighten the joints a I have previously by scoring the surface
Can you elaborate?

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”