Folland Gnat target drone

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
TheRat
Series 3 and Beyond

Folland Gnat target drone

Post by TheRat »

As the venerable Gnat neared the end of its service life a decision was made that they should, for the most part, go out in a blaze of glory rather than suffer the ignominy of being melted down. Ejection seats were removed in order to lessen any danger to civilians should a drone crash in a recoverable area, and ballast installed. The wing tanks were also saved for scrap value, as they would not be necessary on a short one-way flight.

There were a few teary eyes in the aircraft which shot them down, as most of the pilots had trained on some of these. But all agreed that it was a better end than becoming pots and pans.

This was the old Airfix kit, picked up at a show for a couple of bucks. The only piece missing was the nose glazing, and after messing about with this kit I almost wish that all the rest of the bits had gone missing too. But I persevered perversely, and finally won the battle. The nose glazing was replaced with a piece of clear sprue which was filed, sanded, and polished to shape, and the cockpit was blanked off with sheet styrene, as were the intake ducts. A cheap imitation of a Sidewinder was located in the spares box, it was painted the standard gloss white with the distinctive 'rollerons' picked out in silver. A hole was drilled in the Gnat for the nose of the missile, and a hole was drilled in the missile's tail for the 'flame'. This was a toothpick which was painted yellow for the hot flame at the immediate end, red for the cooler flame further back, and cotton wool was used to imitate smoke. I honestly can't recall if the Sidewinder has a smokeless flame or not, and I don't really care, because first, smoke looks cool, second it's a 'what if', and third, MFM! The decals were extremely fragile, and applying them was 'touch and go' for a while, but I finally got them mostly in place without them turning to dust. The ejection seat decals were left off as I may want to use them on something else some day. Rather than try to replicate buckled metal at the impact point I decided that this soon after impact there wouldn't be any, so there. Any JMNs who disagree will be summarily ignored.

Thanks for looking!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Folland Gnat target drone

Post by JamesPerrin »

Great fun looking model (even if it was pig to build). The exhaust looks very effective.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Marek
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Marek »

That is a really inspired duo. Very attractive work.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

You don't see something like that every day. I like it.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Nice one Rat's, it looks great in red and yellow and the smoke looks spot on, is it the Royal Naval Swift next?

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
TheRat
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by TheRat »

splash wrote:... is it the Royal Naval Swift next?

Regards
Splash
Oh, I wish! A lot of agonizing over that one, every time I go near it the fear kicks in. Slowly but surely...
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Great! Nice idea.
Stu
Old fashioned paint brush user.
Mary64
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by Mary64 »

Hi,