Hindenburg Light Interceptors , based on a revell mini kit

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
IvanV22
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Hindenburg Light Interceptors , based on a revell mini kit

Post by IvanV22 »

It was the year 2142, UMC (The United Martian Colonies ) had imposed a tax on import from Earth, this led to “ pirates” and earth craft trying to break through with smuggler goods. UMC was forced to defend themselves (even if they didn’t want war against EMC (Earth Mining Corp.).
UMC`s first craft where the Lightweight Interceptors Class Hindenburg, These where small 2 man craft, armed with a singe laser cannon , the wings would be swept back went entering the Martine atmosphere and then extended before landing.
The name Hindenburg was first made as a joke between the German cities of Mars because the ship looked like a small copy of the old airship Hindenburg.
The model shows the LI Hindenburg 611 after a skirmish with a pirate vessel, the 611 had taken a hit from a laser photon torpedo and is badly damaged, the second pilot is out on a life line trying to make necessary repairs so that the ship can bring the crew back to Mars. The photo shows the damage to the engine pipe lines , that are twisted after the torpedo impact.

This is my first attempt at scrats building. I started with a Revell Mini Kit, the wings are made of plastic card , the crew member is made of clay with a life line of thin garden wire. I had first thought of making tis a 1/72 scale model , but soon realized that it was too small , so I had to hake a new crew member about 1/144 … The base is just a clump of clay..
My biggest difficulty was the UMC ensign the orange globe… I masked and painted it several times, alkyd and emerald paints don’t always cooperate..

What I learned… next time I must plan in advance! I’m not entirely satisfied with the wings, must plan better next time! But It was my first attempt! Hope you liked it!
Best from Ivan
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: Hindenburg Light Interceptors , based on a revell mini k

Post by Ian »

That's a clever use of a zeppelin. Good job!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

That's just cool! Love the concept and execution.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Benja190
starter kit

Post by Benja190 »

I really like your fantasy on that zeppelin. Where did you buy the extra kits? :grin:
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

Thanks everybody!
I forgot to say that I picked it up at a major toy store, I got the idea at once of making it into a spacecraft , but it is a pity that toy stores only sell easy kits now a days…
Best from Ivan

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”