Grumman X/F29

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Grumman X/F29

Post by general rocket »

Bought from this years Cosford show as a cheap, part started kit, the immediate thought was of a "what if".
Grumman are probably best known for their naval aircraft, so mid-80s carrier borne it is. Due to it's short range, and high maneuverability I imagined it as a close-in defence aircraft.
The paint scheme is taken from is taken from a mid 80s U.S. Marine's Phantom, while the decals are all "naval" and taken from the spares box.
The tailhook is from an Italeri Phantom which has been slimmed and narrowed to match the much lighter aircraft. The weapons pylons are from the same kit, but the Sidewinders and launch rails are from a hasegawa weapons set.
The refueling probe was from an A4 Skyhawk out of the spares box.
The change of front undercarriage was a late thought as most naval aircraft have twin wheel legs, but the original has a single wheel. The replacement was taken from an Airfix Phantom which gives a very slight lift to the stance, but being an after thought the wheel well was not altered to suit, but is not really noticeable or visible.
A nice quick little project. Still to fit is the crew ladder and pilot, which is supplied with the kit, but I want a more appropriate pilot figure than the one supplied.

As usual, comments and criticisms are welcome.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
K5083
Active Participant

Re: Grumman X/F29

Post by K5083 »

Excellent. The twin nose wheels and refueling probe are my favorite touches. The nose up stance is probably "accurate". Like how the FJ-2 had a higher stance than the Sabre.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Great Fleet Defense Fighter version of a lovely little kit...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Nicely realised idea
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Thanks for the kind words lads.
The nose up stance was more or confirmed in my mind when looking at pictures Phantoms of the Royal Navy, but a bit less extreme.
As SJPONeill says, a lovely little kit. I suppose I'd better get another and build it properly.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”