Airfix Saturn V Apollo

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix Saturn V Apollo

Post by Dazzled »

Terrific job on updating the old kit. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Airfix re-issued both the Saturn V and the Ib in 2009/10 - to more or less coincide with the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.
They took the opportunity to correct the dimension inaccuracies at the top end of both rockets. On the original kits (which dated from 1970/71) the problem was that the Service Module diameter was too small, which meant that the Command Module boost cover was too small as was the Lunar Module fairing section.

The new kits have these areas corrected so the dimensions are now far more realistic.

The panelling on the old Service Module was also not representative of the actual Service Modules used on manned Apollo missions and these details were also corrected.

I built the new Saturn Ib not long after it was issued -

Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I will get on with the Saturn Vs in my collection someday.

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”