B. S.G. Viper Mark2

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

B. S.G. Viper Mark2

Post by general rocket »

This was built as part of the Sci-Fi group build but was unfortunately a D.N.F. (real life getting in the way of the more important things in life). So here it is now it is finished.
For the progress of the build, and my dissatisfaction with my own part in it, make your way to the now moth balled Sci-Fi group build.
I had been told that there are a lot issues with the kit,but it seemed fine to me. My only complaints are the fit of the fuselage halves, and the front undercarriage leg,I didn't notice the poor molding till too late. Anything else that went wrong was down to me making basic errors. Anyone building this kit should bare in mind that decals should be applied before the wings are attached as the decals wrap should around the wings and the engine housing. All reference pictures that I made use of, showed the wings to be attached in this manner. Butted up, instead of joined. The decals on the vertical stabiliser did not want to apply at all. So I ended up using masking tape and lining up on the decals on the upper engine housing, mixing the paint as described in the instructions, and painting the missing stripe. This worked well until I removed the masking tape on the left hand side, and pulled the "A" off the end of the word "GALACTICA" which I could not remove from the tape without tearing it.
That being said, I am very happy with the finished model.
A short history of the Viper, as in the reboot series.
At the start of the series it is the Mark7 Viper that is in service, but due to treason, a sub routine in the programming of the fly-by-wire systems allows the Cylon's to remotely disable the Vipers turning them into sitting ducks during combat.
The "Galactica" which had by this time been in service for 50 years was due to be discarded and turned into a museum ship, is the only BattleStar to survive the battle. This being the case, one of her hangers is full of stored Mark2 Vipers which by this time have been out of service for more than twenty years.
The Mark2 Vipers are analogue instead of fly-by wire, and are not susceptible to having their systems disabled. They are quickly returned to operational status, and become the fleets primary defence fighter. All surviving Mark7's are immediately removed from active service until they can have the offending routines removed from their programs.
The pictures.
The last remaining decision to make is whether to fit the pilot into the cockpit or not. I Still don't know whether to or not.
I chose Starbuck to be the pilot. I was not happy with her facing forward in the standard model pilot position, so a slight remodeling of the hand and the join at the top of the arm for a gesture of acknowledgement, and reposition the head slightly to the left, and she is a lot more animated and believable.
As you are aware (or more likely your other half is), one of the problems with a build like this is that while you are researching the subject, you find the other Marks, and you start to plan your building of the rest of the series.
Mark1-original series. Kit available.
Mark1 dual cockpit, conversion kit for above available. With addition of under wing stores.
Mark2 as above. Done
Mark3 "B.S.G. Blood and Chrome" In service when Adama received his first posting with the service. Slightly longer than Mark2 with revised back end, 6 small engines instead of 3 standard sized engines for improved battle survivability, with a revised engine housing (more squared off). Easy Scratch build rear/kitbash front end.
Mark4 More like Mark2 but with forward swept wings for improved atmospheric responsiveness. Probably fan fiction, but I like it. Fairly easy conversion of Mark2
Mark5 return to previous shape, much heavier looking than previous Marks. Also probably fan fiction, and I'm not so convinced.
Mark6 much more sleek, a heavy kitbash of Mark7.
Mark7 in service at start of reboot series. Kit available
Lady Rocket has let me Know her thoughts on the subject.

Feel free to comment.
As long as you don't agree with Lady Rocket!
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: B. S.G. Viper Mark2

Post by JamesPerrin »

Looks excellent and thanks for the potted history.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Very sharp GR. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

You should indeed be pleased! That looks very good indeed
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

BRAVO! Well done and executed
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Chris

Post by Chris »

Looks excellent.
Honcho of ASMMF
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Thanks all!
Given all the mistakes I made during the build, I'm almost surprised how pleased I am with it,
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Good work. Also nice to see a version of this craft that isn't weathered and battle damaged to the point of falling apart the next time it's launched. I know what people are trying to portray, but the engineer in me winces at some of the representations of what is supposed to be an operational fighter. YMMV, of course, and mine does with the heavy damage. Poor mechanics...! :roll:

I have one of these in the stash, and it'll be more like this one when I get to it. Now, where can I get a stand to show the Mk I, Mk II and Mk VII in formation...? :mrgreen:
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

A great Viper you built there GR. Nice pictures and an interesting summary of the different marks.

Anyone who spends a significant amount of time with me finds me disagreeable.

A:B 2014 19:04 2013 39:12 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 251:67

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”