Sign-up and Chat

144th scale kits.
Runs March 17th to April 15th.
GB Leader: MerlinJones
MerlinJones

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by MerlinJones »

MerlinJones wrote:Thinking what to do next, what to do next...
Okay...probably my last AZ Model Fokker VII/3m. I've done 3 of these to date, including a Polish military example. I fancy an Avro 610, with a nice blue fuselage and silver wings...
I've also got a TSR2 and a set of 1/144 617 Sqdn. decals, intended for a Tonka...Mmmmmm...
I also fancy a couple of easy Aeroclub builds, so I'll get my Thunderstreak and Thunderflash done together.
Done the Avro and Thunderstreak. The Thunderflash turns out to have Thunderstreak decals and I really wanted the Belgian scheme, so that one's on hold, wilst I try to elicit a response from 'JohnAero', over at BritModeller.

I still have the TSR2 winking at me, although I'm trying to decide between a Pit Road and a Big Bird...

I think I have 3 more Anigrand Bonus kits to build...

...And EE sent me a Mikro Kit P.37 Los.

What to do, what to do..?
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

It's been my intention throughout this GB, to introduce to those of you relatively unfamiliar with the scale, just what is available.
To this end, whilst I'm obviously enjoying the chance of a shared modelling frenzy, I am trying to be a little more varied in my choice of kits. Please do not take my productivity as a challenge to rise up against, nor feel any pressure to rush to complete whatever model you're working on. There's still lots and lots of time to go. If you finish and fancy another, all well and good...but NO pressure.
This is supposed to be fun, after all.

Regards,
Bruce
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Merlin how many have you done now :ha: going to run out at the rate your going arent you :ha: and if you do the TSR 2 are you still planning on the 617 Sqn idea you mentioned earlier?? this is one scheme ive thought about doing myself in 1/72 :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Brews wrote:I expect you'll have time to do the Dr.1, btw.
Ooooh yes! A metal triplane, in 1/144, will certainly be different.

Regards,
Bruce
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Can I play as a late starter? I got this today just for the GB.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

splash wrote:Can I play as a late starter?
Of course you can...loads of time left.
You could even do a C-17 to carry it and a friend in. ;-)

Regards,
Bruce
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

I have four days? I have very old Revell/Crown Mitchell and I got new compressor one day ago.
Anybody know about decal options in this kit? Which squadrons? Which model, H/J?

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

The boxart illuistration is of the J.
The H has the short nose with the big gun. It should also have a row of machine guns.
This was my build;

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... 19&start=0;

Welcome to the GB.

Regards,
Bruce
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Back on task for me everyone. Had a rough week which was explained in my build thread.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Thanks Jeff. Sorry to hear of your losses.

For the rest of you, still building and painting, it would be marvellous to have some more completions in the Gallery. Now would be the time to ask for an extension, provided there'll be a completion at the end of it. ;-)

Regards,
Bruce
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I think I am good here, Merlin.

He states this boldly.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm good, taking my time so as not to have an Oops with decaling. I have underside, engines, and one side of fuselage done. Next up is the other side, then think about some of the little detail decals.

I have a touch-up to my cataract surgery today, nothing major just a quick laser shot to break up cloudiness in one eye, but I'm assuming I won't be modeling.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Entering Finals on the Build, I've been assured of more completions, without recourse to an extension. This is excellent news and I'm now awaiting the final pieces to view.

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

My hope for this GB was, through participation of others, to illustrate what is on offer within 1/144 and to show that there are a lot of similarities between 1/144 models and their larger brethren.
As with all kits, they can be thrown together or worked on with a passion.
There's older stuff available for accurisation (or not) and brand new stuff, with qualities that outshine bigger models.
All of the usual modelling skills apply and there's even aftermarket stuff, vacform, resin and photo etch to play with.

And, unless you're building a BW Swallow, or a Lockheed Galaxy, the completed model won't take up too much shelf room and a collection of a subject in a variety of markings is not such an unrealistic proposition.

As I type this, 9 of us completed builds and some even managed to complete more than one! Kudos to Ian and Ace.
That some participants now feel inspired to build more and some felt inspired by the GB to have a go, tells me that my objective was achieved.

I'll lock this down at midnight tonight...unless I get a plea for more time, with a definite completion in the offing.

Thank you all for your truly active participation.

Regards,
Bruce
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

Bruce, you have built more than 1/144, than any others participants of GB

Return to “144 scale GB II”