Jssels Galaxy quest***Finished***

144th scale kits.
Runs March 17th to April 15th.
GB Leader: MerlinJones
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Jssels Galaxy quest***Finished***

Post by jssel »

This will be the build of the Otaki/Revell C-5A Galaxy.

I obtained this kit years ago at a home sale for $1.00USD. Problem was that it was started and the person building it pre-painted many parts with a thick gloss grey paint (I suspect Testors 1138) with a hairy stick. This is a rescue mission.

So..........there is no box art. Here is a photo of the poly bag full of parts.

My contribution so far was the sand down the offending paint work and dismantle all the parts. Kind of making it a complete build. The kit is missing the a nose gear door but that is "scratchable"

The decals are toast but they were in the markings of the C-5A rollout scheme. I will be using DRAW decals new sheet for the Patriot Wing C-5's.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
MerlinJones

Re: Jssels Galaxy quest

Post by MerlinJones »

I'm gaping at the size of it! :shock:
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Very cool. I know they made these but have yet to see one get build. As a former USAF mechanic I look forward to seeing this get built. I've never flew on them but have been on quite a few. They are enormous
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
jssel

Post by jssel »

Hey Dirk, in 1972 when I was finishing up my hitch in the US Army, Fort Dix Aviation Section was adjacent to a taxiway at McGuire AFB. There was a C-5 checking out 141 pilots and shooting touch and go's all the time. It really sounded strange with those huge compressor blades and what not. It was huge compared to the 141's normally seen.
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

That thing is huge, i thought my C-17 was big, good luck with the rescue mission :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
jssel

Post by jssel »

:oops:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Wow ! Let's see a scale (ruler) next to that beast.
I flew on this once, and being Army I was "cargo", but after being cargo on several C-141's, I was at least awe-struck cargo.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Brews wrote:
jssel wrote:This will be the build of the Otaki/Revell C-5A Galaxy.
How did that pass your spell-checker - or is a joke going over my head?
Okay...I'm man enough to admit it...I'm lost with this one. I can't see any spelling errors, or is it the reference to 'the' build, 'cos this most certainly will be THE build in this GB. Although I'm lacking the room, this remains my sole Grail kit and I'm keen to see it built.

Regards,
Bruce
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is a monster and I would guess size wise it rivals the Heller 747 that I've been tussling with for the last 6 weeks or so. Best of luck, I look forward to seeing this one!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
jssel

Post by jssel »

Ok. Scale effect. Here is a photo of the fuselage pieces with the Eduard 1/144 Me262B fuselage halves laying on top. About 19 inches in overall length.

The engine nacelles are rebuilt now. The rear view shows that the pieces are solid. I will attempt top run a strip of stock around the cowling to represent a little depth and with black paint, should look convincing enough.

The bottom two show that the original pieces have recessed panel lines but the thickness of the paint applied may just bury them.

The fuselage halves are so large that I will add small pieces of sheet stock to the edges to help re-inforce the gluing.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

MerlinJones wrote:
Brews wrote:
jssel wrote:This will be the build of the Otaki/Revell C-5A Galaxy.
How did that pass your spell-checker - or is a joke going over my head?
Okay...I'm man enough to admit it...I'm lost with this one. I can't see any spelling errors, or is it the reference to 'the' build, 'cos this most certainly will be THE build in this GB. Although I'm lacking the room, this remains my sole Grail kit and I'm keen to see it built.

Regards,
Bruce
It was originally referred to as a "Galazy" in both the thread title and the originally-quoted sentence above. Now corrected, which is why you can't see it...
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
jssel

Post by jssel »

Thanks Brickie. That is why I used the :oops: smilie. On my keyboard the Z and X are next to each other and since I am a H and P typist, well you know the rest. :lol:

I will crawl back to the bench now. I have a meetin' with my local band of pirates this evening in which I will share my latest Airfix and Heller creations.
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by philp »

Had this kit years ago with intentions of opening the front and rear doors and doing a little interior and a full load of F-5s being delivered somewhere but as it isn't my scale I finally sold it off to someone to do.

My Dad currently lives just south of Dover, DE and I got a chance to get up and sit in the cockpit with my boys. Pretty inspiring when you are looking down from that height and are still on the ground.

Also got to see one coming in to land when we were heading up to the base museum.

Too big to get in the viewfinder and he was pretty far away from us.

This one was doing touch and goes while we were at the museum.

and also a pic of the flightline taken from the museum.

jssel

Post by jssel »

Thanks for the pictures. What a brute. Shows off the AMC Grey very well.
jssel

Post by jssel »

The horizontal stabilizers are assembled and rubbed down. Test fit into the fuselage halves show no fit issues.

The fuselage halves are cut away so clear windows can be attached. The DRAW decal sheet has a windscreen decal that seems a better option in this scale. So the side windows were glued in and sheet stock fills the windscreen. Filler is added to blend it all in.

Back to the engine nacelles for a moment. The tail ends have cone shaped pieces that go in each piece. They are not surprisingly present. So........over to a Craft Shop that specializes in knitting supplies to obtain small gauge knitting needles. The tips will be cut off for use. Of course the rest of the rod will be used for many other applications so it will not go to waste.

A little C5 trivia. The current paint scheme which is commonly called AMC Grey. It is actually refered to as "Equipment Excellence" scheme. This comes from the C-5 Galaxy in Action by Squadron Pubs.

Return to “144 scale GB II”