144th scale kits.
Runs March 17th to April 15th.
GB Leader: MerlinJones
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

*** Martin's Tiny Schwalbe - Finished ***

Post by Martin R »

Oo-er, missus!

Double entendres aside, I'm going to be doing an Eduard Me262A-2 to go in the background of my Airfix Mosquito / Me262 Dogfight Double box art. Pics and sprue shots to follow once I've done some more painting on the Lanc for the 4 or More Engines GB.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Re: Martin's Tiny Schwalbe

Post by Martin R »

Yet to make a start on this due to pressures of work (honest, guv!) but here's some shots of what I'm doing:

Nice box art:

Sprues. You get bits to make 2 aircraft in this box. I think it cost me ~£8 on e-bay. Good value, I thought!

Close up. Fine engraved panel lines and good detail. Nice!

You even get a cockpit tub! As this will be an in flight model, I'll be looking to Merlin for tips on how to scratch build a 'pilot' to go inside. Despite not being an A-2a boxing, this kit also has the main bodies of the bombs and wikingershiffe bomb racks, although I'll have to fashion the bomb fins from plastic sheet. I think the A-2a has the fins included as etched brass.

Decals: look to be good, although I don't know how many of these I will be able to use.

Hope to get started on this tomorrow.

regards,

Martin
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Nice kits, Martin.

Regards,
Bruce
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Wow! That was . . . different :???:

First 1/144th kit for me since Tom Baker was Doctor Who and it feels more like micro-surgery than modelling! Fit of the fuselage and various inserts have been exemplary, but you'd better get everything aligned right (I never get everything aligned right!) or you'll have gaps of a scale foot. Here's the fuselage:

You can see where I filed too much off the front fuselage top section. Smeared liquid glue in to fill the gap and now have to wait and see how it looks when set and smoothed down.

And here's the fuselage behind the FROG Spit IX prop I'm working on . . .

As I'm going to build wheels up, and the parts are for a wheels down option, I didn't go any further with the wings. I think i'll have to back the door openings with card so that I've got something to fit my scratchbuilt gear doors to - and I couldn't face that tonight.

regards,

Martin
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Remember doing bark or brass rubbings at school?
You can get a similar effect with placing paper over the wells and then rubbing a soft pencil over them. This should give a clear outline of what you need and can be transferred to thin plasticard.

Transparent sprue can be stretched to make a clear pole, to sit your bird upon.

Regards,
Bruce
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Ta Bruce,

The issue with the wheel wells is that although the outer doors (that cover the legs) are flat, the inner ones that cover the wheel retract into the aircraft centre section, which is a bulged profile. It would be absolutely no problem to back this area with card, smear filler in and then sand down to the correct profile, but this would kill adjacent recessed surface detail. Leave it with me; I'll sleep on it, and see what I can come up with. I'm sure there'll be a simple solution.

The stretched clear sprue sounds like a good idea, too.

regards.

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I painted the engine components prior to putting them together (hopefully tomorrow). I also started adding the undercarriage doors. Here is some backing for whatever I put in there:

And here are the inner doors added. I will try to separate the two bits of the outer doors (which are moulded as one and overlapped in the wheels down position) and add them next.

More soon.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Latest status on the Schwalbe! Main construction complete: small, but perfectly formed.

I have added the undercarriage doors in the closed position. I used the kit pieces where possible, plus some thin sheet cut to shape. Doors are sitting on strut shims, but I'll need some form of filler to smooth out the levels. I'll maybe try correction fluid.

regards,

Martin
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Martin R wrote:small, but perfectly formed.
You're right there. Nice work so far.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

OK, filling (with tipp-ex) and sanding, leaves us here.

I've put the under fuselage bomb racks on. The '262 in the background of the DD artwork has them, although they're empty.

Next, some RLM76.

regards,

Martin
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Tippex "liquid paper" is usually more than an adequate filler at this scale.
You going to drill out the guns and/or ejection chutes? Obviously, a tiny, tiny drill bit is needed, but it is worth the effort.

Regards,
Bruce
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

MerlinJones wrote:Tippex "liquid paper" is usually more than an adequate filler at this scale.
You going to drill out the guns and/or ejection chutes? Obviously, a tiny, tiny drill bit is needed, but it is worth the effort.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce,

In this case, I'm not going to. Maybe for my next 144 build :)

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

And with ~6 coats of Xtracrylix RLM76 and 3 coats of RLM75, it looks like this:

RLM74 tomorrow (I'm going for the earlier all-grey scheme), then some mottling. :shock: Wish me luck!

Once I've decalled, I'm planning on doing a very light pale grey filter to lighten the colours and simulate distance - although whether I can achieve a uniform filter coat with a hairy stick is unknown at the moment.

regards,

Martin
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Luck is duly wished upon thee!

Regards,
Bruce
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

MerlinJones wrote:Luck is duly wished upon thee!

Regards,
Bruce
Ha! Now I cannot fail! Muah hah hah hah hah! :twisted:

Return to “144 scale GB II”