The Great Auk's Auk-ward models

This is where any member can post a themed collection of model images, putting their stuff where they can find it, or showing off a collection they have made.
The Great Auk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

The Great Auk's Auk-ward models

Post by The Great Auk »

Hello, I'm fairly new here, so I hope I'll be forgiven if I'm not doing this quite right.

I suffer from an affliction. While I love building models, I can never get them to come out looking like the nice picture on the box. The closest I ever got was when I built the classic W.W. I Airfix Albatros D.VA.

It's a fairly simple kit, especially when judged by modern standards.

The only big modification I made was adding a 'pit.

While it's not very complex, not much can be seen once the fuselage is together, so it does the job, albeit a bit lazily...

On this one, I was inspired by the The Blue Max. I was especially struck by the differences between the novel by Jack Hunter and the film. You see, in the book, Stachel doesn't get killed and meets Hermann Goering at the end, setting up the sequel.

I've always loved W.W. I German lozenge, but usually the decals give me fits. Since much of my mis-spent youth was spent painting paintings, it's simpler for me to hand-paint the lozenge. Here's a time-lapse of how it all came together:

And now the end result:

Decals were from spares and rigging was accomplished with thin wire, needle-nosed pliers and as steady a touch as this auk could muster. The entire model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics.

I also added a line to the radiator made from part of a paper-clip.

I was always amused by that bit in the movie where they give Stachel one of the few remaining Fokker Triplanes as if they were some kind of wonder-weapon instead of the obsolescent aircraft they were by late in the war. In my fevered imagination, I saw them giving Stachel an even more out-of-date 'plane for his next mission.

In this alternate Blue Max tale, this craft was built for the film, but not used because the scheme was too close to Goering's all-white D.VII. The Blue Max Albatros languished until it was eventually eaten by goats.

While this one's a little silly, I think it shows what can be done with one of the classic Airfix kits even by a modeler of middling skill.

I had a lot of fun building this classic 1/72 Airfix kit and I hope you enjoyed the photos.

The Great Auk
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: The Great Auk's Auk-ward models

Post by nashorn »

Excellent work, and a great tale, well done.

Rich.
Rich.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent!

Hand-painted lozenges :shock: The very thought gives me the jitters :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

A lot of handpainting in that one!

Having seen your work elsewhere, welcome to the UAMF.

David
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

This is one of my favourite biplane kits, having built 4 of them. You've made a great job of it.Well done.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

Thanks for the hearty welcome and kind words!

I just love biplanes. They can be an incredible hassle to build, but with a bit of luck and a steady hand, the result can be worth the effort.

I hope I'll be forgiven for posting a non-Airfix kit. You see, I've always had a thing for the SE-5 and Revell makes a very nice SE-5a in 1/72 scale. Still, despite the best of intentions, mine ended out looking nothing like the nice picture on the box.

This is the upgraded 1930 version, the SE-10 Seaton in raspberry ripple.

The engine is swiped from a Matchbox Boeing P-12 and the canopy is from a Hayabusa. Spats are courtesy of Aeroclub. I deleted the upper wing gun and filled in the holes. Then I added another gun from a Fokker D.VII on the nose decking. I love doing twisted things like that.

The model was brush-painted by hand with acrylics and a fair share of Tamiya tape.

This project gave me a new respect for the Royal Aircraft Establishment, especially after trying to replicate their famous color scheme.

The Great Auk

Return to “Individual Members' Themed galleries”