Gallery of Zen

This is where any member can post a themed collection of model images, putting their stuff where they can find it, or showing off a collection they have made.
Zen
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Gallery of Zen

Post by Zen »

So this is the space on which i'll be posting the models i've built so far and future completions.
These were built before i joined the forum, the individual build threads are where available so i'll just put them all in here.
All in order of completion:

ZTS Plastyk 1/72 Mig-21MF

"What-if" F-16PM - Italeri 1/72
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php ... #msg662858;

Next were WWII birds, Italeri 1/72 F4U-5 Corsair and the old Airfix 1/72 F6F-3/5 but i don't have pics of those at the moment.

"What-if" F-5PM TigerIII - Hobbyboss 1/72
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php ... 042.0.html;

"What-if" P-51D Mustang in PoAF service during WWII in Italy - Airfix 1/72
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php ... #msg693698;

F-16AM/MLU PoAF Tigermeet 2011 Cambrai, France - Revell 1/72
http://forum.modelismo-na.net/viewtopic ... 33&t=25566;

"What-if" F-16W USAF 422nd TES, 2010 - Revell 1/72
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php ... 268.0.html;

"What-if" Saab J29F in PoAF service, 1964 - Matchbox 1/72
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php ... #msg721224;

"What-if" Eurofighter Typhoon in PoAF Service
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php ... #msg722717;

I know they're not much but i hope you like them, thanks for looking!

Cheers! :grin:
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Gallery of Zen

Post by philp »

Nice stuff Zen.
Zen

Post by Zen »

philp wrote:Nice stuff Zen.
Thanks, Philp! :) I'm a slow builder but i hope i can throw a few more in here before the summer. :mrgreen:

Cheers! 8-)

Zen
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

A nice collection of builds Zen.

Nigel
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Nice work.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Zen

Post by Zen »

Clashcityrocker wrote:A nice collection of builds Zen.

Nigel
TobyC wrote:Nice work.
Thanks, guys! Glad to know you like them! :grin:
I think my best work so far was the F-16W and the PoAF Tigermeet F-16. The F-16W is my favorite cause it was my first design turned into "reality". I do have plans to build a Twin seat with the same layout, but there're so many ideas... :roll:

Cheers!

Zen
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Very impressive work Zen. I notice you have a leaning towards jets. If you're interested in joining the Cold War SIG just let me know. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Zen

Post by Zen »

Dazzled wrote:Very impressive work Zen. I notice you have a leaning towards jets. If you're interested in joining the Cold War SIG just let me know. :)
Thank you! :grin:
Yes, although i do like all aircraft, i must admit i am more interested in jets. I am most humbled with your offer, but i must warn you that i've never been in a SIG so i really don't have a clue of how it works... :oops:

Cheers!

Zen
Zen

Post by Zen »

Ok, another one off the bench!! :grin:

The old Monogram 1/48 P-40B, finished as the Flying Tigers Tigershark, my 5th real world build, not perfect but i like the result, it was good to practice some new techniques and get my first 1/48 model finished.

So, that's my 13th finished model, the 5th this year, which beats my total production run of 4 models in 2015. :party

:beer:
philp

Post by philp »

Looks great.
Clashcityrocker

Nicely done. Monogram have some nice 48th scale kits.

Nigel
Zen

Post by Zen »

Thank you, gentleman! :)

I've become a fan of Monogram kits, starting the 1/72 F-16XL in a couple of days! :mrgreen:

Zen

Post by Zen »

"January, 1976. In the meetings held at Lajes AB in the Azores, the U.S. government and Navy representatives and their recently elected Portuguese counterparts reached an agreement, which stated that the U.S. would maintain it's occupation of the base for at least another 20 years. As part of the payment for the this renewed period, the Portuguese Navy Admirals were finally granted the full cooperation of U.S. nuclear carrier design teams to start working on the first Portuguese supercarrier.
The PoN had been operating the first 2 carriers built by the Portuguese naval industry(INP) since 1963. These were the conventional-powered Vasco da Gama class carriers, displacing around 33.000 tons each, with angled deck and CATOBAR design, similar to the French Clemenceau.
The PoN wanted a nuclear powered aircraft carrier for the XXI century to help maintain the role it had of watching the middle section of the Atlantic Ocean since the Nato conference held in Lisbon, in 1952. Also looking to the future in terms of newer aircraft, the Vasco da Gama class vessels were already starting to show their age and would soon need to be modernized with some up-to-date electronic systems and newer hydraulic catapult systems, and besides that, they should probably be retired around the year 2000.
The new carrier would be called "Infante D. Henrique", the one and only of it's class to be built. It would be very similar to the new USS Nimitz class carriers, and would operate a variety of new aircraft, which, obviously, also had to be acquired.
There wasn't much to worry about in making decisions as the American ships would be a very obvious example to follow by the Portuguese carrier.
After several budget cuts, delays with US tech teams being available to train and supervise the installation process of the main nuclear components and systems, the suspension of the program during 2 years and much debate about Portugal needing such a vessel, funding and technicians finally started coming through, and the keel of the "Infante D.Henrique" was laid down on the 15th of September, 1979. 3 years later, it was christened and launched at the Alcântara INP Docks on the Tejo estuary, in Lisbon.
After several delays in construction due to worker strikes and more budget cuts, after another 6 years for completion, the ship was ready for it's final acceptance trials with it's new air wing.
The new F-18C/D were among the chosen aircraft and, the also new Naval Fleet Squadron 300 "The Barbarians", were chosen to be the first to call the "Infante" their home at sea.

This is the 1/72 F-18B/D hobby boss kit that was started around 2 years ago...? :roll:
Shamelessly stole the kit's decals for the VMFA(AW)-225 Vikings, and the fin flash and serial number from a Santa Cruz F-16A sheet, mixed and transformed into the fictitious NFS300, The Barbarians. :twisted:
The crew is from a Revell U.S./Nato pilots set, drop tanks from the kit, aim-9s from Revell F-16 kit, aim-7s from Hasegawa air to air U.S. missile set, Mk.20 Rockeyes from Italeri F-16 kit and all the antennas were made out of styrene bits cut to shape. Paints and varnish are Tamiya acrylics, main color XF-24 don't know what's the name grey... :-D Nose cone is XF-19 sky grey, nozzles are X-10 gun metal and X-11 silver.
I know, it's not much but, i managed to mess up what was actually a nice paint job, while gluing on the antennas and handling the model with painted fingers... Also managed to put too much glue when i closed up the canopy, but as it was masked, i only saw the excess glue on the inside today after unmasking... :evil:

Oh, well... at least it's another one off the stalled builds pile and bench, and on to my display shelf... The 5th whif finished this year, out of 6 models. :grin:
It's one from a bunch of builds i still want to include in my alternative history for the Portuguese military forces.
Hope you guys like it and thanks for looking!

Zen
Clashcityrocker

I like that. Great colours and scheme.

Nigel
Zen

Post by Zen »

Clashcityrocker wrote:I like that. Great colours and scheme.

Nigel
Glad you like it, Nigel! Thanks!:)

Return to “Individual Members' Themed galleries”