29(F) Sqn RAF from BE2c to Typhoon - TeeELLs tribute.

This is where any member can post a themed collection of model images, putting their stuff where they can find it, or showing off a collection they have made.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

29(F) Sqn RAF from BE2c to Typhoon - TeeELLs tribute.

Post by TeeELL »

The aircraft of No 29(F) Sqn form one of my modelling themes. Why 29(F) Sqn, well I flew the F4 Phantom FGR2 (F4M) on that Sqn in the early ‘80’s.

First raised in 1915 As part of the Royal Flying Corps, 29(F) Sqn is one of the worlds oldest fighter squadrons. Early in 1916 the Sqn received the DH2, ending the ‘Fokker Scourge’ of late 1915/early 1916. Subsequently flying various Nieuports it was finally equipped with the SE5a in April 1918. Captain James McCudden was awarded the VC whilst a member of ‘29.

Interwar, 29(F) Sqn was equipped with a variety of ‘Silver Wings’ fighter aircraft converting, in 1938, to the Blenheim fighter. Not recorded on the Sqn Operational Record Form (F540) or any of the reported histories (official or otherwise) is the fact that ‘29 entered WW2 as a Hurricane sqn re equipping in the last week of August ‘39. The Hurricanes were brand new and the very latest version of the Mk1 with 3-bladed variable pitch propellors (also based at RAF Debden were 85 and 87 Sqns, equipped with 2-bladed prop Hurricanes). Life as a Hurricane Sqn was short lived, one month in fact; at the end of September ‘39 29 Sqn was reassigned as a night fighter sqn and back came the Blenheims with the 4-gun belly pack - to be fitted by the Sqn personnel! (The Hurricanes went to 17 Sqn).
As the war progressed ‘29 was subsequently re-equipped with Beaufighters and then Mosquitoes. During 1940 the Sqn aircraft were supplemented with Hurricanes and TT Battles, these latter aircraft were provided to act as targets for practice intercepts although 29 employed the Hurricanes as day time ‘point defence’ to protect the airfield from attack. In fact, the Battles were used in an experiment to illuminate enemy aircraft, using towed flares, so that the Blenheim could shoot down that aircraft. Unsurprisingly, the trials proved unsuccessful even when the ‘simulated enemy aircraft’ maintained a steady course whilst illuminated!

Post War, it was August 1951 when the Mosquitos were replaced by the Meteor NF11, followed by the Javelin and then another ‘Silver Wings’ aircraft, the EE Lightning F3. 1974 saw the Sqn re-equip with the F4M in the Air Defence role. The Tornado F3 followed and, currently, the Sqn is equipped with the Typhoon.

This then is my tribute.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
TeeELL

Re: 29(F) Sqn RAF - TeeELLs tribute.

Post by TeeELL »

Matchbox Siskin IIIa with scratch built undercarriage and other minor improvements. 29(F) Sqn, based at RAF North Weald, received these aircraft in March 1928.

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Airfix Bristol Bulldog home made XXX decals. The Bulldog replaced the Siskin in June 1932, the Sqn still based at RAF North Weald.

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Airfix Hawker Demon. Home made XXXX decals. The Sqn received Demons in March 1935 and prior to re-equipment in ‘38 flew the ‘turret Demon’. The Sqn was based at RAF North Weald until 31 Oct 35 when it was sent overseas to Al-Amiriya, returning to North Weald on 12 Sep 1936.

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

There is a lot of discussion about the origin of the 3X’s found on the post war jet aircraft. However, the X’s varied in number during the ‘Silver Wings’ era - when the X’s were first used. So the Boss saying ‘go and paint XX and One X’ on the aircraft ie XXIX (=29) is complete nonsense, but it is a good story. :-)
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

We go post War now with the Xtrakit (ex Matchbox) Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF 11. 29(F) Sqn received these aircraft in August 1951. 29(F) Sqn operated this mark until replaced with the Javelin although there are references suggesting the Sqn operated NF12 aircraft briefly - there is no photographic evidence to support that.

**Update** - During a period of operation of the Javelin FAW 6 the was a few months when the aircraft was unserviceable. During that period the Sqn received Meteor NF12 aircraft so that the navs could maintain their currency as the NF12 was equipped with the American radar, similar to that found in the FAW 6. I don’t think I will build a NF12 though.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Airfix 1/72 Javelin FAW9 - well sort of! After market decals. ‘29 received the first Javelins in November 1957.

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Going back in time: the new Airfix Beaufighter backdated to a Mk1 Night fighter. Home made decals and etched metal aerials.
29(F) Sqn received the first aircraft in October 1940.

Tony

Current build:
wokka

Re: 29(F) Sqn RAF from BE2c to Typhoon - TeeELLs tribute.

Post by wokka »

A nice collection Tony and nicely presented. Will you be adding the Typhoon F2 this year?
It's only pain, work through it.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

wokka wrote:A nice collection Tony and nicely presented. Will you be adding the Typhoon F2 this year?
I have pretty much every aircraft flown by 29(F) Sqn quite what will get built this coming year I don’t know for sure, but the Typhoon is sitting in my stash (in fact I have 2, bought one in Hobbycraft when on offer, having completely forgotten I already had one).
Tony

Current build:
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice collection, Tony!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Thanks Paul. I’ve no idea how quickly I will populate the thread with ‘new’ aircraft! Lol.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

The Hurricane 1. 29(F) Sqn is not officially recorded as flying the Hurricane (other than a reference or 2 to receive a few to supplement their night fighters). However, using information researched from the memoirs of 2 pilots on the Sqn during the period, ‘29 was informed in early August 1939 that it was to replace its Blenheim ‘heavy fighters’ with Hurricanes. In the latter part of August the Sqn pilots went to Brooklands to collect their new aircraft direct from the factory. Thus, as Britain entered WW2, ‘29 Sqn was flying the Hurricane and one pilot records that they were the first squadron to receive the version with 3-bladed, variable pitch propellors. The aircraft was also fitted with the reflector gun-sight.
Here then, is my representation of a 29(F) Sqn Hurricane 1, factory fresh and in pre-war markings of YB ( those Sqn ID letters would be transferred to 17 Sqn a week later at the start of the war.

Airfix ‘rag wing’ Hurricane with resin ‘tin wing’ conversion.

Unfortunately for these budding single seat fighter pilots in the last week of September 1939, 29(F) Sqn was reassigned as a night fighter squadron and over the next few weeks relinquished their Hurricanes and received back their Blenheims. As you can imagine, moral went through the floor.
Tony

Current build:
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

A fine addition to the collection, Tony. Do you know what will be next yet?

David
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Not at all sure David. I am inclined towards a bi-plane, the Grebe (silver wings) or the ‘turret’ Demon (in ‘Munich crisis’ cammo).
Tony

Current build:

Return to “Individual Members' Themed galleries”