Iraq 1941 - wargames models

This is where any member can post a themed collection of model images, putting their stuff where they can find it, or showing off a collection they have made.
dadlamassu
Series 3 and Beyond

Iraq 1941 - wargames models

Post by dadlamassu »

The First ground action of the campaign was fought at an old fort at Rutbah.

Here we see Squadron Leader Casano's Fordson armoured cars of No2 Armoured Car Company RAF and the Ford trucks of the Arab legion trundling into action. All these vehicles are scratch builds from balsa wood, plastic sheet, pins and card with wheels taken from various kits.

Close up

The Arab Legion in action
dadlamassu
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: Iraq 1941 - wargames models

Post by dadlamassu »

A major action took place after the relief of RAF Habbaniya at Fallujah where the RAF Levies (mainly Assyrians) in blue shirts supported by the WW1 vintage Rolls Royce armoured cars of No1 Armoured Car Company RAF attack the bridge. Certain liberties have been taken with the terrain as the real bridge is acout 120 feet long.

The plan was a complex one involving a frontal assault by the RAF Levies, a flank march by Gurkhas and an air landed rear assault from Vickers Valentia aircraft transporting the Kings Own Royal Regiment. Here a Vimy Commercial (by Maqette) is acting as a substitute.

The main battle - RAF levy in foreground, Gurkhas at let and KORR coming from the rear all supported by Oxford and Audax (converted Airfix Demons)

The Iraqi commander surrenders
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

That is a an impressive wargaming set up ou have there! So how many figures and models have you actually got? The scratchbuilt RAF Armoured Cars look great!

I wish I was allowed to have thatuch room in he house to oneself! :ha:

The Iraqi commander surrenders indeed! Wouldnt you? :shock:

Regards

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
dadlamassu
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by dadlamassu »

Justin1980 wrote:That is a an impressive wargaming set up ou have there! So how many figures and models have you actually got?
Many thanks for the kind words.

Honestly, I have no idea how many figures or models I have. The collection is quite vast and shows how my interests and how models have changed over the years since the 1950's and 60's. From way back I have the original Airfix Infantry Combat Group and German infantry that still take the field though the are suffering from brittleness and I'm replacing casualties as I find the soldiers cheap enough on e-bay or at shows. Many of the models are conversions.

The plastic collections -
WW2 in 1/72 - North West Europe 1944-45, Iraq 1941, East Africa 1940-41, Somaliland 1906-20 (Mad Mullah) and 1940, Far East (early)
WW2 in 1/1200 - Mediterranean and early pacific (mostly balsa)
Ancients - Romans, Ancient Britons, American War of Independence, Egyptians, Greeks
Modern - African Warlord

Metal:
Byzantines, Sassanids, English Civil War, Maximilian Adventure, Warlord China, Pulp, Doctor Who, Stargate,

And more probably.
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Wow,

That is an impressive amount! I would like to see more! :lol:

Regards

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

Great looking wargame, I love the armoured cars
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17

Return to “Individual Members' Themed galleries”