X12A's 'The Wrong Trousers, Gromit'

This is where any member can post a themed collection of model images, putting their stuff where they can find it, or showing off a collection they have made.
X12A
Modelling Gent and Scholar

X12A's 'The Wrong Trousers, Gromit'

Post by X12A »

Well I seem to have done enough of these now to give them their own thread. The theme being that they will not be dressed as originaly intended, so they may be a captured aircraft repainted or simply an aircraft (there may be a disproportionate number of Spitfires, I'm afraid!) that has been dressed as if it were flown by a different air force.

Thanks for looking,

J

So, here's the first one - an Airfix 1/72 captured Tomahawk and the rather interesting tale that goes with it!

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19& ... 91#p483591

New background!
X12A

Re: X12A's 'The Wrong Trousers, Gromit'

Post by X12A »

The first Spitfire is a Mk1a, 'White 14' as flown by Hans-Joachim Marseille (the future Star of Africa). This is the one he belly-landed near Calais-Merck on 2 September 1940 following an encounter with Spitfires of 74 Sqn off Sheerness and presently resides in the Heritage Hanger at Biggin Hill.

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19& ... 00#p492400

X12A

Post by X12A »

Next is a Mk1 Hurricane alledgedly captured at Merville, tested at Rechlin and then operated by 1/Jagdflierschule between August 1941 and May 1942, presumably for Luftwaffe pilots to fly against.

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19& ... 49#p476049

PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

They look great, the Spitfire particularly so.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
X12A

Post by X12A »

PTB11 wrote: August 17th, 2021, 7:38 pm They look great, the Spitfire particularly so.
Thanks PTB, yes, my favourite Spitfire too, I think it lends itself quite well to that scheme. Although its probably closely followed by the Mk IXc, just for its simplicity, which will be along before too long!
X12A

Post by X12A »

Next are another couple of Spitfires.

The MkVb is a Revell and is the one flown by Rolf Pingel while commanding 1/JG26 on 22 June 1941, when he made a forced landing at St Margaret’s at Cliffe near Dover. The aircraft was subsequently put into RAF service for a short while before unfortunately crashing and killing the Polish pilot, Marian Salski.

The Airfix Mk IXc is the one flown by Hans Philipp in 1942 while commanding 1/JG54 on the Eastern Front around the time he claimed his 100th victory.

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19& ... 81#p495381

PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Another two great additions to your gallery.
Lovely work.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
X12A

Post by X12A »

PTB11 wrote: August 18th, 2021, 7:44 am Another two great additions to your gallery.
Lovely work.
Thanks PTB - appreciated.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Nicely done X12A. I do enjoy the captured aircraft schemes (I have several in die cast) and you've done a great job with your builds. I do fancy that P-40 btw. :)
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

nice.

Had to double-take on the Hurricane, looked very natural in those colours...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
X12A

Post by X12A »

PropWash wrote: August 20th, 2021, 2:45 am Nicely done X12A. I do enjoy the captured aircraft schemes (I have several in die cast) and you've done a great job with your builds. I do fancy that P-40 btw. :)
Thanks Propwash, yes I quite like the P40 in that scheme - it looks the part! Did you read the story btw?
SJPONeill wrote: August 20th, 2021, 4:02 am nice.

Thanks - I must admit I wasn't over keen on it when I first built it but its been growing on me since!
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

X12A wrote: August 21st, 2021, 10:35 am
PropWash wrote: August 20th, 2021, 2:45 am Nicely done X12A. I do enjoy the captured aircraft schemes (I have several in die cast) and you've done a great job with your builds. I do fancy that P-40 btw. :)
Thanks Propwash, yes I quite like the P40 in that scheme - it looks the part! Did you read the story btw?
SJPONeill wrote: August 20th, 2021, 4:02 am nice.

Thanks - I must admit I wasn't over keen on it when I first built it but its been growing on me since!
I did read the story from the link you provided. Quite interesting. If this scheme was done in die cast, I would certainly consider adding it to my collection. Btw, I have the "captured" die cast Hurricane from Corgi (https://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/product ... ive-eagle/ and you did a splendid job on your build.
X12A

Post by X12A »

Thanks for putting the link up Propwash, I hadn't seen that one before and its a bit different to mine - the yellow underside does seem more plausible!

Unfortunately, I doubt Corgi would do the P40 as its the only one in the world and completely made-up, along with the story, although there are some surprisingly accurate parts to it - if you look at the date I originally posted the pictures and story you'll see why! :lol:
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

You bamboozled me! :ha:

I had to Google the names to find out! Doh!! I am ashamed and will not be back again. :oops:

Nah, who am I kidding. I'm a Die Hard model building so you haven't seen the last of me. :twisted:
X12A

Post by X12A »

PropWash wrote: August 24th, 2021, 11:50 pm You bamboozled me! :ha:

I had to Google the names to find out! Doh!! I am ashamed and will not be back again. :oops:

Nah, who am I kidding. I'm a Die Hard model building so you haven't seen the last of me. :twisted:
:lol: I doubt you were the only one Propwash! :lol:

Return to “Individual Members' Themed galleries”