Sign-up and Chat

First generation jets, 1939-1949.
Runs April 1st to 30th, 2012.
GBL: Kruaxi
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by SJPONeill »

I agree with James and John...the theme is early jets and so models/variants and markings should fit the selected period - it's not like there a lack of options within that period...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
kruaxi

Post by kruaxi »

Uhm... what about...
I believe this GB should concern planes whose first prototype has flown by 1949, however those planes must be achivied also in their later releases, with appropriate marks... For example, i could build a Hawker Sea Hawk (flown in 1947) with indian's marks in early '70... What do you think about ?
Salute e Latinum per tutti !
theconfidencestoat
Active Participant

Post by theconfidencestoat »

kruaxi wrote:Uhm... what about...
I believe this GB should concern planes whose first prototype has flown by 1949, however those planes must be achivied also in their later releases, with appropriate marks... For example, i could build a Hawker Sea Hawk (flown in 1947) with indian's marks in early '70... What do you think about ?

I think this makes sense. Personally I like seeing 'early' jets in their latter day guises, I mean how interesting were the Swiss Hunters ? I think they were far more exciting than their subsequent Hornets. I had got out a Classic Airframes Attacker for this, but put it away again as it went into service inthe early 50's, however, the prototype did fly in the 40's, and no one would argue that the Attacker is, in fact, and 'early jet'.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

So, are the latter day guises acceptable? It could be the difference between me building a later Hungarian Mig-15 or a WW2 Meteor-both Airfix.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

kruaxi wrote:...For example, i could build a Hawker Sea Hawk (flown in 1947) with indian's marks in early '70... What do you think about ?
I think that, as Group Build Leader, you lead, we follow! ;-)

Regards,
Bruce
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

One of the questions that comes up perennially on the National Novel-Writing Month site is "Does what I'm writing count as a novel? It's different because blah blah blah". After several attempts to come up with a definition, they decided "never mind - it's not like there's any prizes or anything. If you think you're writing a novel, that's good enough for us."

Worth having that as a GB mantra in general - "Look at the spirit of the GB and if you think it fits, go with it.", maybe?
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
Andypops
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Andypops »

Hi all

I just thought I'd sign up proper like after I'd already erroniously started my own build thread... Duuuhhh!!

Anyway I will defo be doing the 1/72 Italeri Mig 15 which I belive is a Dragon mold originally.

This should be well doable in 30 days (famous last words?? We shall see) as there is only one sprue and a bit(for the wing tanks) plus the canopy.......

Whilst I have your attention does anyone have any suggestions as to which picture hosting site I should use?
I have never used any of these sites before so am completely clueless as what to look out for.

I hope to use this GB to get back into the swing of building kits and with the encouragement and support of all you good folk then hopefully I should acheive this :)
In the event of actually finishing this kit in good time I did find other kits in the stash that may make an appearance in this GB....but I think I'll learn to crawl before I can walk!!

TIA

Andy
Liverpool FC used to be a really good team..HONEST!!
Titan

Post by Titan »

Hi Andy and good luck with your build in this GB.

Picture hosting sites are hit and miss with some but I tend to stick with what I know and that would be Photobucket.com.
I have never had a problem with it in all the years that I have been using it and find it very easy to organise my photos.
Flickr.com is another you might want to try as is Picturetrail.com as for any others I can't help you there as these are the only three that I have used and not had a problem with.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark

Post by MerlinJones »

Andypops wrote:Whilst I have your attention does anyone have any suggestions as to which picture hosting site I should use?
I have never used any of these sites before so am completely clueless as what to look out for.
Hi Andy.
Sorry I missed this question.
I've been posting online for some 5 years and have used PictureTrail from the start. It has never gone down or created any 'technical difficulties'. The only issue I have is that, having posted so many images, you run out of allotted space and have to either buy more, or delete some images.
Now because I don't want to leave a load of those annoying little X's lying about, I choose to either create a new account, or pay the money.
Cutting long story short, I've done both.

In this year of 2012, there are sites offering free 'unlimited' picture storage. These are usually associated with your internet provider. How limited 'unlimited' actually is, only time will tell.

I would be cautious of using a site few others use. There'll be a good reason for this. New sites seem to pop up on a regular basis, only fold on an equally regular basis. No site equals more X's.

What you don't want to end up having to do is to move your images from site to site. Because each image has its own, unique address, changing site changes the address. This would mean that you'd have to either update/edit your Forum post with the image in it, or be content to leave a X.

Regards,
Bruce
kruaxi

Post by kruaxi »

Are you ready gentlemen ?
kruaxi

Post by kruaxi »

Tonight, one minute after Midnight: ghosts' hour
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Do rocket powered aircraft fit the GB crieria?
Andypops
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Andypops »

Thanks Mark and Bruce

Advice much appreciated.

As it happens I already had a yahoo account from a million and one years ago so I decided I would go with Flickr and see what gives.

So I'm gonna snaff the other half's camera and take some pics and upload 'em.

ttfn

Andy

EDIT
TYPICAL!!!!

I have just been informed by SWMBO that she has got a pro account for Flickr!!!
A pity she didn't let me know earlier but it does mean I should not have any probs regarding bandwidth exceeded and all that.

Onward and upward! :)
Liverpool FC used to be a really good team..HONEST!!
kruaxi

Post by kruaxi »

Migrant wrote:Do rocket powered aircraft fit the GB crieria?
Yes !

Start your engines gentlemen, race is start !
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Ah...so it's not an Early Jets GB? That increases my options a little.

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Early Jets”