First generation jets, 1939-1949.
Runs April 1st to 30th, 2012.
GBL: Kruaxi
Andypops
Series 3 and Beyond

My first dabble in a GB!!!

Post by Andypops »

Hello all!!

Long time lurking here and finally decided to get up off my derrier and actually make summat so thought this GB would be the ideal motivation!

Provisionally I'll be doing the Italeri 1:72 Mig 15 OOB although that may change once I have a gander through the stash and see what's available and what I've forgotten I have got there.

Surely 30 days in April is more than enough time to complete a teeny tiny single engined fighter...we shall see.I have been the victim of the procrastination virus many times in the past!

This was supposed to go in the Sign p thread..looks like I made a booboo!! The first of many I'm sure!!
Liverpool FC used to be a really good team..HONEST!!
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Re: My first dabble in a GB!!!

Post by Brickie »

No no, that's fine. You'll need a personal thread for talking about your build...
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
Andypops
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Andypops »

OOOOooooohhhh!! Now I've been and gone and done it! I'll have to build it now I've got me own thread! No pressure there! :shock:

Anyway off to inspect the stash and see what I've got.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Looking forward to seeing how it goes - whatever you choose.

regards,

Martin
Andypops
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Andypops »

OK people

Got me pic account sorted ..thanks to SWMBO! Also thanks to Merlin Jones and Titan for their advice regarding pic accounts...not that it was needed in the end cos SWMBO has got a pro account.... and has had one for some considerable time too but didn't feel like telling me about it when asking her opinion about getting one of these accounts...good job she's a good cook and feeds me well!! ;-)

Pics of box and sprues and decals etc to follow sometime in the next 24 hours :)
Andypops
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Andypops »

Well they do...or did at any rate...A Dragon mold I believe...here's the box art...

Not too bad and looks simple enough for me to get back into the swing of plasticification!

EDIT

I've only just noticed the Dragon emblem at the bottom left of the pic!!! .. Another Ddduuuuhhhh!!! moment for yours truly!! :mrgreen:
Andypops
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Andypops »

Ok Here we go

First the box top

I know there is a pic of the box top previously but this is MY box top and I'm still learning about Flickr and stuff :)

Now the sprue

As you can see I need a better background and also need to learn how to take a better photo too.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

That looks simple enough, not too many pieces.

Will it be straight out of the box?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Andy,

I have had some unhappy experiences with Dragon kits, although I've never built this one. They can be a bit 'fiddly' and hard-of-fitting. I'd recommend lots of dry-fitting before committing glue to plastic.

Apologies if this is an egg-sucking tutorial for elderly matriarchs.

regards,

Martin
Andypops
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Andypops »

Old_Tonto wrote:That looks simple enough, not too many pieces.

Will it be straight out of the box?
Yes it will be pretty much OOB. I am using this GB to get me back into the swing of things so to speak. I mean I can surely get this thing together within the time limit of this group build irrespective of my shift work and digging of allotments for SWMBO!!
Martin R wrote:Andy,

I have had some unhappy experiences with Dragon kits, although I've never built this one. They can be a bit 'fiddly' and hard-of-fitting. I'd recommend lots of dry-fitting before committing glue to plastic.

Apologies if this is an egg-sucking tutorial for elderly matriarchs.

regards,

Martin
I am partially aware of the pitfalls of this kit Martin as I did attempt the Dragon Mig-17 many many moons ago....the remains of which may be found in the cellar!! In fact I might just dig it out and photo it just to prove that I have actually done stuff !!!
Plus as I am returning to the hobby I may need to taught the subtle and yet noble art of the afore mentioned eggsucking :) :) No apologies necessary.
However I do not consider myself an elderly matriarch so you fail on 2 points there...Not old (I am not young either) and I am not female....so now you know this for sure I need you on your knees in penitent pose begging for my forgiveness! Financial donations are graciously accepted by myself in recompense for your misdemeanour ;-) ;-)

I shall be actually doing some plasticity in the next few days (HONEST!) so hopefully I'll have pics of some sort of progress ASAP

regards

Andy
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I am partially aware of the pitfalls of this kit Martin as I did attempt the Dragon Mig-17 many many moons ago....the remains of which may be found in the cellar!! In fact I might just dig it out and photo it just to prove that I have actually done stuff !!!
Plus as I am returning to the hobby I may need to taught the subtle and yet noble art of the afore mentioned eggsucking :) :) No apologies necessary.
However I do not consider myself an elderly matriarch so you fail on 2 points there...Not old (I am not young either) and I am not female....so now you know this for sure I need you on your knees in penitent pose begging for my forgiveness! Financial donations are graciously accepted by myself in recompense for your misdemeanour ;-) ;-)
Andy,

My knees are bleeding appropriately and the cheque's in the post! :-D

regards,

Martin
Andypops
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Andypops »

Hello All

I am here to offer my abject apologies for not even having started yet!!

However I am hopeful that in the next few days I shall be starting and actualy doing some modelling!

On the plus side though I did find out that my old Thayer and Chandler Vega airbrush is actually a Badger airbrush and hence I can get a replacement needle quite easily.......I've had that thing for years and no idea that T and C was basically a Badger and spares were always relatively easy to obtain!!

As for the kit I have actually washed it and it is just ready for actual painting and assembly.

I'm primed and ready to go.......but that doesn't necessarily mean I've primed the kit yet!! :) :)

Soooo hopefully next time I post there will be progress pics etc

Thankyou all for your time and patience

PS Martin I did manage to find my very old Dragon Mig 17....not that bad either ...but I didn't bother finishing cos I somehow contrived to lose the canopy and therefore lost heart.

PPS I am still waiting for the afore mentioned cheque ;-)
Pugz636
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Pugz636 »

Welcome to the group build andy.....can i remind you its the 17th and the build finishes on the 30th??... good luck...

2016 A:6:B:2 c: 1 ,2015 A:7 B:1 C:0 2014 A:2 B:1 C:0 (2013 A:22 B:1 C:0) (2012 A:3 B:2 C:0) (2011 A:4 B:8 C:1)
IPMS #12527
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Andypops wrote:Hello All

PPS I am still waiting for the afore mentioned cheque ;-)
Well, you know what the post is like these days! :ha:
Andypops
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Andypops »

Well!
Life seems to have gotten in the way the past couple of weeks so I haven't been able to get a start on this kit but I've still got nearly 5 days left so there's still hope.
In fact I should be getting the basics done today sometime so hopefully will have a genuine progress report with pics too sometime in the next 24 hours or so.

Return to “Early Jets”