A Yank in the RAF -- *DNF*

First generation jets, 1939-1949.
Runs April 1st to 30th, 2012.
GBL: Kruaxi
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: A Yank in the RAF

Post by Martin R »

jRatz wrote: However, one thing is sure -- time to stop whining and get to work.
John,

Well done sah! Spoken (written) like the modelling trouper we know you are. We have every confidence and can't wait to see more.

regards,

Martin
freedomfighter
starter kit

Post by freedomfighter »

Not in the group but dipped in to have a look round, as the early jets are an interest of mine. I do have "Flame Powered" by John Carpenter, which states that the span of the XP-59A was 49ft. Did Paul Bradleys info fulfil your requirements?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

freedomfighter wrote:Not in the group but dipped in to have a look round, as the early jets are an interest of mine. I do have "Flame Powered" by John Carpenter, which states that the span of the XP-59A was 49ft. Did Paul Bradleys info fulfil your requirements?
Yes, thanks, Paul helped quite a bit -- and I also got (today) the Ginter book, "Air Force Legends 208 P-59 Airacomet" by Steve Pace, which has everything I need.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

We are at a cross-roads here.

As mentioned just above, I found this book ...

Which has all sorts of information, photos, and drawings. Everything I needed a couple weeks ago, really. And the drawings are in proper scale and so confirm my effort of a couple days ago to figure out just how far off scale this kit is -- and it is quite a bit.

The red is the kit and thie drawing above shows what I would have to do to the kit to make it scale -- it isn't just the tail, enough in itself, but also the cockpit mis-located.

Now, my fault for picking a bad kit; I didn't put the research into the project that I should have. But with 1/3 the GB time now gone, I need to figure out what to do.

I could proceed with a major hack job, but am uninterested in that for many reasons.
I could build it as a P-59B, that is as released, but am uninterested in that for several reasons.
I could just punt the whole thing and move on to other things either on or awaiting the workbench.
Or I could do what I should have done earlier, find the right kit.

Which happens to be this one, which magically showed up with the Ginter book ....

I'll have to think about this. Meanwhile I have some minor corrective cataract surgery (very soon, I must get up and leave) so I doubt I will do any modeling today ....
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

If you are interested in building the Rarejets kits just build it as a learning experience. If you just want the RAF Airacomet build the Special Hobby kit. Personally I don't think the errors in the vac are significant enough to detract from the final model.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

After screwing around for a few more days, the decision pretty well got made for me -- do a quickie on the SH kit. After all, I've not got 3 ships and a squad of figures to be working on. The vac kit can go back in the stash for a while ....

So, here we are -- quick internal paint slopped on and I'll start cleaning and assembling.

fearless frankie
Active Participant

Post by fearless frankie »

The Rareplane jet does take a certain amount of fettling, and to get the intakes to match up will take some cursing, the yellowing of the canopy is a curse of old vacs, but when you finally get it looking something like, you get that feelgood feeling that can only be got by a vacform.
Looking forward to the S/H build as I have always liked the Airacomet
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I have had a lot of interruptions -- progress has been made, but I have no pix -- maybe Sunday.

It has not been problem free. There is no locator for the nose gear ceiling -- the drawing and the plastic don't match -- then I had to do a bit of corner-sanding to get it in between the two fuselage halves. Similar comments can be made about cockpit parts.

The instructions say 30 gr nose weight!!! I am still trying on that -- nose is as full as I'll get it and now rest is going to lay in the engine compartment, forward of the main gear -- I hope.

For the rounded wing tips a new tip is included, except they don't show exactly where to cut. Hint, along the panel line. But then some carving work is needed to get the aileron to fit in the extended tip.

I should be closing up the fuselage Sunday.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Sorry, I'll be a DNF. We decided to take a long weekend elsewhere and I won't be back until the 1st -- and I won't be able to crash-and-burn to finish in a few days.
Entirely my fault, after screwing about on my 1st choice, I let time get away from me.
I'll get around to finishing it and post in the Aviation forum at some time ...
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: A Yank in the RAF -- *DNF*

Post by Old_Tonto »

No worries mate, a good effort. Enjoy your weekend.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)

Return to “Early Jets”