*** Finished *** - Martin's Not So Tiny Schwalbe

First generation jets, 1939-1949.
Runs April 1st to 30th, 2012.
GBL: Kruaxi
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

*** Finished *** - Martin's Not So Tiny Schwalbe

Post by Martin R »

OK, currently finishing off an Eduard '262 in 144th for the background of my SMW2012 Dogfight Double artwork project, so I'll continue by doing a FROG 1/72nd '262 in this GB.

Pics to follow, but of the 'classic' '262s in this scale, I'm currently of the opinion that this one looks the most accurate. Happy to be corrected if someone knows better, but the Airfix one - apart from being basic - looks as if the fuselage has been inflated; the Matchbox looks quite nice, but that canopy! Looks like a racer rather than a fighter; Revell (old school) - never built this one, but I'm not convinced of the pics I've seen.

Whatever. The point is, I'll be making the FROG Schwalbe.

regards,

Martin
Jagewa

Re: Martin's Not So Tiny Schwalbe

Post by Jagewa »

Oh cool, I've not seen the Frog one, looking forward to this.

Cheers
Jim
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Jim,

Some photos for you.

Box art:

Typical FROG instruction sheet:

Sprues. A bit simplified and clunky in places, but the shapes look good at this stage. No flash, but a good few sink marks that will need to be dealt with:

Nice chunky intake 'bullets' and exhaust 'onions'. As this is going to be mounted for a box art display, I've got a plan for the latter.

I really like the FROG painting plans even if the detail on the kit is sometimes less than hinted at on the plans themselves. I'm also not sure the experten would agree with the camouflage colour call-outs:

Decals. They look usable:

regards,

Martin
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Ahh, that's the box art, I was racking my brain trying to recall the artwork, now I see why I couldn't, not one of the most memorable ones...
I like the Frog painting guides as well, I also like their instructions sheets as well, I think it's the big friendly symbols.

Cheers
Jim
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Well, work has officially started on the FROG Schwalbe. Here's the progress I made this afternoon while the kids were out bonding with their mum.

I had managed to lose the kit floor piece, so I cut another out of placcy card. The seat is from a sprue of Heller Bf109K bits I found in the spares box. I will add a back bulkhead behind the seat, tops to the side consoles and an IP of sorts in due course. However, unlike most of my builds, this is being built wheels up, so it will have Johnny Pilot inside, and I won't be adding more detail.

You may notice some tomfoolery in the engine nacelles. Well, as I'm building wheels up, I need some way to mount the damn thing. While in my LHS this morning, I noticed some Aluminium tubing, which looked sturdy enough to mount the aircraft on. I also bought some plastic tube a couple of sizes up that the Al tube could fit inside. My thought was to provide mounting points of plastic tube within each engine nacelle and insert the Al tube up the exhaust pipe. When I got home, I drilled out the mounting point for the exhaust cone, cut the plastic tube to length and duly glued it inside, ending up with:

Once the nacelles are painted and glued together, I should be able to insert the mountings like so:

We'll see how well the theory works as we proceed. Thanks for looking.

regards,

Martin
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

That's a well thought out solution, Martin.
I was going to build mine wheels down but now I have a quandary.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Nice work on the pit and mount Martin.
Martin R wrote:... Here's the progress I made this afternoon while the kids were out bonding with their mum...
I could do with the wife having more bonding time with the kids, would help the modelling no end :lol:
Ian wrote:That's a well thought out solution, Martin.
I was going to build mine wheels down but now I have a quandary.
Oh yes please wheels up Ian, they are such a cool shape.

Cheers
Jim
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Chaps,

There will now be a short hiatus while I try to source another FROG Me262A . . . :oops:

"What happened?", I hear you cry. Well, suffice to say, make sure you don't glue two outer nacelle halves together and, if you do, don't wait until the glue has hardened to notice . . .

Shame really, as I was happy with the interior (did a bit more work tonight before disaster struck) and the support bracing inside each cowling.

Hey ho!

regards,

Martin
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Do you mean to imply that a modeller of your calibre does not own a razor saw?
Tsk tsk! :mrgreen:
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

MerlinJones wrote:Do you mean to imply that a modeller of your calibre does not own a razor saw?
Tsk tsk! :mrgreen:
Let me see how I feel in the morning. My current view is that, if I butcher the nacelle apart like that, I'll do irreversible damage to some of the internal mountings. Then I'll never get them square again.

However, it's quite liberating not having to finish a build. I've just practised cutting out the 4 vague dimples that are meant to be cannon blast tubes on the fuse and managed to get them all nearly lined up and the same shape!

There's always the Vampire to be getting on with in the meantime :-D

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Well, whadaya know? A knife blade run along the top joint of the engine nacelle (which will be hidden under the wing) a couple of times and the nacelle came apart sweet as a nut. One nacelle has now been reglued correctly, and the fit is a lot better when you try to join bits that are meant to join :-D

I've lost all the panel lines on that nacelle, but there you go. Onwards and upwards.

regards,

Martin
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Yay, glad to hear it came apart ok for you.

Cheers
Jim
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Martin R wrote:Chaps,

There will now be a short hiatus while I try to source another FROG Me262A . . . :oops:

"What happened?", I hear you cry. Well, suffice to say, make sure you don't glue two outer nacelle halves together and, if you do, don't wait until the glue has hardened to notice . . .

Shame really, as I was happy with the interior (did a bit more work tonight before disaster struck) and the support bracing inside each cowling.

Hey ho!

regards,

Martin
I made that same mistake with the Airfix Mosquito way back when we were doing the SKGB. Glad to see you were able to over come and adapt. ;-)
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Sorted.
This is real modelling, after all.

Regards,l
Bruce
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by carlos »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:I made that same mistake with the Airfix Mosquito way back when we were doing the SKGB. Glad to see you were able to over come and adapt. ;-)
Co-incidentally, while researching for a GB last year - I came across a review of the Airfix Mossie on 'SMAKR', where the reviewer made that exact same mistake - but didn't realise it was a mistake, forced the nacelles to fit with much filling and sanding - then heavily criticised the kit for terrible fit.

Nice to hear it was recoverable Martin - an easy mistake to make - and I bet you won't make the same mistake again for a long time :-D
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2

Return to “Early Jets”