IL-28 Beagle, by Trumpeter **FINISHED**

First generation jets, 1939-1949.
Runs April 1st to 30th, 2012.
GBL: Kruaxi
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

IL-28 Beagle, by Trumpeter **FINISHED**

Post by carlos »

I'll jump in with the only suitable kit I have.
In fact - other than Revell's 1/32 Hawk - this is the only unbuilt jet I have.

Obligatory Boxart and sprue shots:

All will be out of the box - I'll be leaving the bay doors open, 3 choices of bombload ranging from a single huge bomb, to lots of little ones.
A couple of entry hatches can also be left open - they'll depend on what can be seen through 'em.

Also - I haven't yet decided for definite, which scheme to do - the choices are Russian or Polish in NMF, and Chinese in green over light blue-grey.
I'm open to request/suggestion - currently leaning a little towards the Polish, but could be swayed fairly easily.

Some nice surface detail/panel lines - I'll get some closer pics tomorrow (those above were done when I bought the kit)
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: IL-28 Beagle, by Trumpeter

Post by Old_Tonto »

That looks really nice Carlos - much better than the Italeri offering I am currently struggling with.

Looking forward to some close ups. I won't be doing any open doors as the interior detail is a bit pants.

As for colour scheme I would go with the Chinese option. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm quite a fan of this type so I'll be watching this one with interest. Best of luck with it. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Andypops
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Andypops »

Me too Carlos

I'll be following this build in comparison with the Italeri Beagle build being done by Old Tonto
Should be interesting :)

regards

Andy
Liverpool FC used to be a really good team..HONEST!!
carlos

Post by carlos »

Here's a sample of what the exterior panels and details are like - the whole kit is in a similar vein.

As for interiors:-
Pilot's office doesn't look too bad, there are control panels etc. in there.
Nav/bomb man's compartment is a bit sparse, though there is a bombsight, and aiming seat - I might add a few bits (I noticed a nice illustration in Old Tonto's thread)
Wheel wells and Bomb bay look like they have some good structural detail.
Plus some interior fairings etc (starter) quite deep inside the engine intakes.

No actual work done yet - as I'm in the process of finishing something else - will probably start on the interiors tomorrow.
carlos

Post by carlos »

Not a great deal of progress yet - the cockpit is done though.
I haven't added anything to the navigator's position yet - will do that once the fuselage is closed up, and I can see exactly what space there is in there.

That little bombsight (I'm assuming that's what it is) looks like it's too far back to be usable - The floor of the navigator's area falls about 7mm or 8mm short of the front of the fuselage (it is supposed to - or at least, according to the instructions) So I'll be extending that flooring all the way forwards, and repositioning the sight.
The kit supplies a folding seat up near the front (stbd side) - but that's all. I'll be adding at least the chart table, and the instrument panel on the wall above it (port side) and maybe a few bits'n'bobs just to 'busy' the area up a bit.
Won't be spending heaps of attention on it though - the front glasshouse is fairly thick, and though I'm gonna open the access panel, the opening isn't all that big.

Currently, the bombs and bay interior are drying - The instructions call for a mix of silver and light-blue for bomb and wheel bays, but the walkaround photos I've seen are almost all a pale yellow-green colour - I'm going with the latter.

I've also settled on the Chinese scheme, for a couple of reasons - Old Tonto's request, and the fact that if I do the Russian or Polish, the rear gun section has to be cut out and replaced.
Also, the Chinese version means I don't have to do a NMF :mrgreen:
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

That kit looks lovely Carlos. A step or 3 above the Italeri/Bilek kit I think. Those panel lines look spot on and I bet they join up too :mrgreen:.

I am regretting the idea of doing a NMF scheme too but I want to add this Beagle to my East German collection and they only had a single camouflaged example (that's the one you always see in photos). I will see how mine looks once the silver goes on - it may yet be camouflaged.

The office on yours looks great and definitely worth showing off with an open hatch. :lol:

It's going to be enough of a hassle to get this thing to fit together so mine will be closed up.

Looking forward to seeing yours together.
Current Projects:
carlos

Post by carlos »

Old_Tonto wrote:That kit looks lovely Carlos. A step or 3 above the Italeri/Bilek kit I think. Those panel lines look spot on and I bet they join up too :mrgreen:.
The more I've seen of your kit O_T - the more I'm thinking that Trumpeter may have used the same moulds - just updated and/or re-vamped.
A lot of parts look the same - except for the front of the engines......
Plus - I've closed the fuselage today, and have been working on the engine nacelles - and as you said about your kit - they fit where they touch.
Looks like much sanding and line re-scribing will be needed.
At least the panel lines over the top and bottom of the fuselage do match up - but that's the best I can say about it.

I'll get a pic or two tonight, after I remove the tape that's currently holding it all together.
carlos

Post by carlos »

Got waylaid for a few days there.... but back on the horse with this one now - so to speak...

When the tape and clamps came off the fuselage, there was very little filling required - much less than I thought - you can just about see some traces of green putty there just in front of the tail.
In this pic, the wings are just dry fitted, as are the nacelles, fronts of nacelles aren't even glued on yet, and the canopy parts just resting in place.

^^^That^^^ was where I left it yesterday...
Today I've put the wings and engines together - and again was pleasantly surprised - much less filling and sanding than I originally thought - once everything was clamped together, and the glue set, only needed to use correction fluid to fill some narrow gaps.

I haven't done any extras in the nose yet - apart from extending the flooring all the way to the front- that's next job, hopefully tomorrow

And the cockpit from behind....

And last one for now - the belly. Bomb bay will be open.

The interior colour I mixed myself from Hu226 interior green / Hu24 Trainer Yellow / and Hu147 Light Grey - I just kept adding yellow and grey until it looked like a clean version of the following...
A mucky-looking wash in there, and it should look OK

carlos

Post by carlos »

Also - This will be my first ever attempt at airbrushing a model.
I was given an airbrush a coupla months ago, and have just gotten round to buying a compressor.
I'll be getting plenty of practice on scraps for a few days, before committing any paint to the model though.

Wish me luck! :-D
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Good luck.
My 2pence is to go slow and steady, better to have to make multiple passes than hose the model and have the paint run everywhere.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
carlos

Post by carlos »

Thanks James - I'll certainly be taking it easy at first - I'm chucking together an old Airfix Helldiver that I only bought for some spare bits - Once I can get a reasonable finish on some scraps, then on the Helldiver..... and then I'll do the Beagle's exteriors.
Gives me maybe a week to brush-paint u/c parts etc, and finalise that nose interior.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Looks good, I have just finished the Airfix one. I like the choices of bombload as well.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

That looks like a lovely fit. Me very envious. :mrgreen:
Current Projects:
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Nice work so far. It looks like a nice kit.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15

Return to “Early Jets”