CBK on a Tray.

First generation jets, 1939-1949.
Runs April 1st to 30th, 2012.
GBL: Kruaxi
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: CBK on a Tray.

Post by Dazzled »

A little bright from the flash maybe, although the green does look a little light to my eye. Saying that though, it is the equivalent to the Airfix M3 colour given in the instructions.

Of course I may have a duff pot of H30 :???:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

OK, so the green paint wasn't that satisfactory so, after a bit of prevaricating around the bush, I decided to remask and repaint.

I recoated the green areas with Humbrol 116 which gave a much more pleasing result. I don't know what the issue was with the H30 but it just wasn't right, nor did it coat well. Perhaps the bin would be the best place for it.

The paint is still wet at the moment so it'll need overnight at least to dry before touching up and prepping to paint the leading edges and theatre band.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

A bit more progress with the Meteor.

I masked and painted the yellow leading edges. This took 3 coats of yellow enamel, Revell this time as my pot of H24 seems to have given up the ghost. Luckily I had the Revell paint handy. I also touched up some of the bits where the paint bled under the masking tape.

This is as it is now. It's just had a coat of Klear which has been encouraged to dry using the wife's hairdryer (she's in work ;-) ), so I'm ready for decals. Speaking of decals, I've got a cunning plan to avoid painting the theatre band on the rear fuselage. A root through the spare decals box netted me two decals that could be useful. One from a Spitfire and another from a Buffalo. If one doesn't fit then the other surely will. And yes, that is a wood screw sticking out of the back of the starboard engine. It provides a good anchor point to grab the model with a surgical clamp so it can be sprayed.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I really like the look of those early Meteors, I think the short engine looks better proportioned than the F4 longer unit and the green/grey is so much better then the bland silver.

Yours should look great once the decals are on, did you find it strange building a jet without an ejections seat?

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

splash wrote:I really like the look of those early Meteors, I think the short engine looks better proportioned than the F4 longer unit and the green/grey is so much better then the bland silver.

Yours should look great once the decals are on, did you find it strange building a jet without an ejections seat?

Regis
Splash
To be honest Splash, the seat and cockpit are so basic and quick to fit together that I didn't even notice ;-) but I have previously built the Tamiya Meteor F.1 and that was a bit odd now you mention it.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

And more progress again. I've made a decisive effort to hurry this one along so, with hairdryer assistance things have progressed apace.

The decals are on. The theatre band plan worked at the second attempt (the spitfire band didn't want to know) thanks to the liberal application of Microsol. Microsol also helped the fuselage decals conform to the rivets that I hadn't sanded down as much as I thought :roll:

A quick blow dry and another coat of Klear followed by more hot air got things moving.

Then it was time to move on to the last little details.

The wing light lens was missing from the kit so this was replaced by a good dollop of Clearfix....which ran into the wing and was topped up with more Clearfix...which ran into the wing and was topped up with more Clearfix.... which ran...you get the picture. Eventually it levelled off but I'm sure the port wing is now full of Clearfix :oops:

After that the exhausts, which had been drilled out to make them look a little more representative and painted in gunmetal, were fitted. After I'd removed the woodscrew of course.

And what do you put a classic Airfix kit on?

A classic Airfix stand of course.

This didn't come in the kit, it was one I've had kicking around for years and, as I don't build many in-flight models, it seemed a good time to use it.

And after letting it dry on the stand...

I'm calling this one finished.

It's been a fun build on the whole and one that has taken me back a few years. Also, given the ridiculous amount of study work I've been commited to this month, I'm pretty pleased to have finished anything :grin:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Sweet
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Well done on a great finish, it looks spot on.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Dazzled,

You've done a great job with that. The repaint looks much better, too.

regards,

Martin
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

The build and painting look spot on.
Those fuselage roundels just don't look right.

Regards,
Bruce
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

MerlinJones wrote:The build and painting look spot on.
Those fuselage roundels just don't look right.

Regards,
Bruce

The joys of old Airfix decals. Not enough white in the roundels or on the tail flash. Such is CBK modelling ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

It looks like the white was left out completely of the underwing and fuselage roundels and the fin flash -- and the yellow surround is off register.
That's a shame, you did good work.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Early Jets”