Yet another -262 *Complete*

First generation jets, 1939-1949.
Runs April 1st to 30th, 2012.
GBL: Kruaxi
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Yet another -262 *Complete*

Post by Ian »

I seem to be following the trend by building an Me-262. This is the Revell -A1a version.
T'will be as you see in the box art - less the rockets on the nose. I do feel those (or the bombs) spoil the lines of this aircraft.

Sprues

And decals

The kit goes together nicely. And I can honestly say that there is no filler on here so far. I do have a couple of sink marks that need sorting out, though.
While I was waiting for the wings to dry I realised I had created a piece of modern art!

And after only a couple of hours, I am here.

As you can see, I am glueing lead shot onto and into whatever I can to prevent this from tail sitting.

What do people think of the blue for RLM76? I'm not overly happy but if people think it's OK, then I am happy to continue.
Either way, with 2 weeks off work coming up from 19:15 tomorrow evening, I should have this finished shortly.

Famous last words.......
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Yet another -262

Post by Martin R »

Ian,

The blue might be a tad blue, but who knows what paint they were using at that stage of the war. I guess this isn't very helpful but basically it's up to you whether it worries you. ;-)

The Revell is, in general, a lovely little kit and it's my fave 262. One thing I will say to you, though: time spent dry-fitting the canopy will NOT be wasted. It's not the greatest fit in the world.

regards,

Martin
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Thanks for the tip, Martin. I'll make sure I remember to do that.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

That's coming together nice and quickly for you. nice kit, eh? ;-)
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Nice one Ian, a swarm of swallows, in the GB.

I agree with you about the nose bombs and rockets, though I like the look of tanks on the two seat night fighter.

Cheers
Jim
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

So it now has a different colour on the underside.......

And to my (poorly trained eye) it's better than it was. Can't wait for the new Humbrol RLMs to hit the shelves. I dropped them an email a while ago and they said last quarter of this year, so still a few months to wait :(

I have used some filler - in exactly 5 places, to fill nothing larger than a pin head. Lovely.

It's now ready for some RLM 81/82 equivalents. I'm going to be using H98 and H2. But not until I've gotten the canopy on. And this is going to be a pain in the derrier. Thanks for the warning Martin. The canopy narrows towards the front, so although it's a reasonable fit at the rear (albeit still in need of some work) the front leaves me with 3/4 mm lip on both sides. I've also managed to crack the canopy slightly :(
Anyone got a spare one they can donate to the cause?
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Progress is good.

Had a rethink on the H2 (gloss emerald green) and decided on H101 (matt mid green) instead. It's pretty much the same colour, but as it's matt it dries an awful lot faster!

And here is my problem! One cracked canopy.

And if you line it up one side

You get this on the other

Or if you line it up centrally, you you get this

Any ideas on how to get around this problem gratefully recieved.......
MerlinJones

Re: Yet another -262 *** HELP ***

Post by MerlinJones »

Whilst it might be tempting to save work and line it up on the one side, you canopy will then be asymmetrical forever and it will bug you.
I'd definitely go for the centred option.

I'd build up the sills with plastic and then sand/file 'em down to fit the canopy.

A potentially quicker fix would be to fill the gaps with Serious Glue. When cured, this can be hard enough to cut off any excess and will take paint.

Regards,
Bruce
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I think I'll glue some plasticard along the inside edge of the cockpit opening and then force the canopy down over that. Pity I can't use a spreader on it.
Anyway - first coat of RLM81 on to go with the nice RLM82
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Ian,

I don't want to mop up your creative juices (so to speak :???: ), but I did a quick search on Hannants for replacement canopies (see below). If you believe the blurb, a number are 'designed' for the Revell kit. Whether this means they used the kit bit as a master, or whether the pieces actually fit are unknown.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index. ... ve_search=

I don't know if you are comfortable with vacform canopies, but if you can't think of anything better, then maybe worth a try?

regards,

Martin
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

I'd use one of the vac canopies, they are flexible enough to allow a little bit of adjustment, although you wouldn't be able to bank on a perfect fit and you might need to bodge in with a bit of glue/filler. I believe the Squadron canopies are supplied by Falcon, expensive but very good quality.

peebeep
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Don't worry guys - and thanks for the ideas.
I have resolved the problem with my second solution.
My first idea was to add something to the lip of the pit, to be used as a guide and a 'widener' for the canopy.
I went with soft wood as it's easier to work with than plastic. One side went OK but when I started carving the other side, it just pinged off. Superglue my ****!
So, option number 2 was a little more risky and involved major surgery. I have cut the kit canopy into three parts.
No drama. I just had to be careful not to break it by using too much pressure holding it steady while I sawed through it. Twice!
Luckily a -262 canopy opens to the side, so I can now attach the front and rear sections in place and have the canopy open.
I will still need a widener on the windscreen section but as I will have access to remove it once the glue is dry it shouldn't be a problem.

Famous last words.......
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

A good solution and a problem solved.

Regards,
Bruce
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Fortune has certainly favoured the brave! Good result.

regards,

Martin
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Nice problem solving. Good work
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0

Return to “Early Jets”