brrrr it's a Cold War.

Home of the IPMS Cold War SIG. Hop over the wall and join the party comrade.

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

brrrr it's a Cold War.

Post by Stuart »

So just out of nosey-ness - what is it about the Cold War that interests you and makes want to recreate it in plastic form?

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: brrrr it's a Cold War.

Post by DavidWomby »

Stuart

For me I think it's a combination of: that's when I grew up and first got interested in military planes: and, as I started modelling, everybody else seemed more interested in WW2 RAF or Luftwaffe; and, as I realised I cannot build all that I have, the end of Cold War was a great cut off point.

Plus, of course, there's so many fantastic British planes in that period - Javelin, Canberra, Lightning, Harrier, Hunter, Meteor, Comet, Britannia, VC-10, etc plus post WW2 schemes for WW2 aircraft!

David
fredk

Post by fredk »

RAF, early 1970s. I had to learn aircraft recognition of Soviet and NATO types - easy peasy for a modeller. Watched news footage of Vietnam war and the smaller African wars. Just built then and more so now what I saw and learnt and was common place to me.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm a child of the Cold war. Born in '68, more or less slap bang in the middle of it, and schooled with ideas of four-minute warnings. I also find the technological advances made during this period fascinating.

And I like Migs :-D
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I'm also a child of the Cold War having been born in 1961 (the same year the Berlin Wall went up IIRC). In my early modelling days I tended to build World War II subjects, as did most of my modelling mates (back in the pre-computer game world of the early 1970's, quite a lot of young lads build models). In my adult years as a modeller I became more attracted to the aircraft types that dominated the skies in my youth - i.e. Cold War jets and I've largely stuck to them since.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TomW

Post by TomW »

Well I only existed for the last 5 years of the Cold War but grew up with the post-war conflicts fought with Cold War equipment. So I guess my interest started there and worked backwards.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Ghostrider
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Ghostrider »

The period of the cold war covered such an extremely social, political and technological change. With really overt flashpoints such as Korea, Vietnam and of course Cuba. Of course so many parts we will probably never know about. Fascinating!
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

For me it's the Cold War era's designs.
Look through any other era and there's nothing like them!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Another cold war brat. Born a year to the day after TSR2 first flew. My grandad on Mums side worked on it and other cold war types. Grew up with the four minute warning bit too though they stopped banging on about it at school around the time I was twelve. The film 'Threads' both facinated me and scared the bejesus out of me at the same time. I joined the ATC at thirteen. Aced aircraft recognition. Even proved an RAF instructor wrong on one, fancy not knowing the difference between a Lightning T4 and a T5. built any latest model I could get my paws on though admittedly preferred WW2 types. That's it in a nutshell for me.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Cold War Chat”