Thinking about 2017

Home of the IPMS Cold War SIG. Hop over the wall and join the party comrade.

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Thinking about 2017

Post by Stuart »

After this years pathetic attempts at helping out I've been thinking about how I can help out for 2017 (or if I should just walk quietly off into the night). I think it's safe to say that that my situation is unlikely to change next year so I doubt I'll be able to attend any shows - However I would still like to make something for the tables even if it's just one kit!

So I've been thinking about the early Cold War Theme, and what I can make that I will able to post without too much damage - and some early Armour builds spring to mind. I should be able to pack the hull and the turret in two parts safely, and have it set up that any breakable parts like antenna can be easily removed.

But some questions before I buy anything.

What scale would be best - 1/72 or shall I keep with Chris's Howitzer and go 1/35?

The ones that spring to mind are the T-55, The M48 (I assume an A2) and a Centurion - any other suggestions? I guess there would also be a fair amount of ex-WWII stuff - I'm sure the North Koreans used ex-soviet T-34s. I'm not suggesting that I build them all but if I can't get one built in 12 months I might as well give up the hobby.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Thinking about 2017

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks for your dedication and enthusiasm Stu. I'm hoping to get us in to a show local to you so you can at least pop in and meet some of us. 8-)

Any scale is acceptable for 2017 although 1:35th seems to offer the best selection of early Cold War subjects. The T-34/85 was indeed used in Korea while the US fielded late model Shermans and M26 Pershings. Post Korea the M48 Patton entered service as did the T-55. The Soviet Union and China also operated IS2 and IS3 tanks throughout this period. The UK mainly operated the Centurion in various marks and I myself am looking at building the AFV Club Mk.5/7 that I have in the stash.

Tamiya offer some suitable subjects in their range and, as many are older but still excellent mouldings, they can be picked up quite reasonably from eBay. The Dragon 1:35th range are also very good and they offer a specific "Korean War Series" like the ISU-152 that Chris is building. Also, try Trumpeter for a range of Soviet armour as I believe they produce a T-55. You might want to consider artillery, trucks and personnel carriers too and, remember, you can go up to the end of 1959.

If you want to post completed models, attaching them securely to a base makes them a lot more secure inside a box by taping or cable-tying the base down and filling with packing beads.

Hope this helps 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Was doing a list for myself to see what was available. Not complete yet as I am still researching

Soviet/Soviet backed

T-34/85; IS-2; IS-3; SU-100; ISU-122; ISU-152; T-10; T-44; T-54; T-55.

UK

Cromwell; Charioteer; Comet; Centurion; Conqueror.

USA

M4A3E8; M26; M46; M47; M48; M103; M24; M41.

France

AMX-13 (as far as I can tell only the 75mm version)

As I said , not complete by any means, but shows you have a wide choice of subjects
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Kitaholic wrote:Was doing a list for myself to see what was available. Not complete yet as I am still researching

Soviet/Soviet backed

T-34/85; IS-2; IS-3; SU-100; ISU-122; ISU-152; T-10; T-44; T-54; T-55.

UK

Cromwell; Charioteer; Comet; Centurion; Conqueror.

USA

M4A3E8; M26; M46; M47; M48; M103; M24; M41.

France

AMX-13 (as far as I can tell only the 75mm version)

As I said , not complete by any means, but shows you have a wide choice of subjects
Good List - just to add a few from my bit of research -

In regards to APC's - the USSR operated the BTR-152 (1/35 made by Skif) and the US had the tracked fore-runners to the M113 - the M59 and M75. However both are unavailable other than in Resin.

I'm not up on UK Armour so I'm not sure what they had in terms of APC.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Dazzled wrote:Thanks for your dedication and enthusiasm Stu. I'm hoping to get us in to a show local to you so you can at least pop in and meet some of us. 8-)

Any scale is acceptable for 2017 although 1:35th seems to offer the best selection of early Cold War subjects. The T-34/85 was indeed used in Korea while the US fielded late model Shermans and M26 Pershings. Post Korea the M48 Patton entered service as did the T-55. The Soviet Union and China also operated IS2 and IS3 tanks throughout this period. The UK mainly operated the Centurion in various marks and I myself am looking at building the AFV Club Mk.5/7 that I have in the stash.

Tamiya offer some suitable subjects in their range and, as many are older but still excellent mouldings, they can be picked up quite reasonably from eBay. The Dragon 1:35th range are also very good and they offer a specific "Korean War Series" like the ISU-152 that Chris is building. Also, try Trumpeter for a range of Soviet armour as I believe they produce a T-55. You might want to consider artillery, trucks and personnel carriers too and, remember, you can go up to the end of 1959.

If you want to post completed models, attaching them securely to a base makes them a lot more secure inside a box by taping or cable-tying the base down and filling with packing beads.

Hope this helps 8-)
Thanks for the tips Darryl.

I'm glad you have the Centurion in the stash - that's not a cheepo kit by any stretch of the imagination. Tamyia also seem to do a T-55A according to ebay - mind you it's pushing £30 so I'm wondering if it's a new tooling - might be worth a look.

I have to say I quite fancy doing an M47/48 Patton for starters - it's always been one of my favourite tanks. The Tamiya kit is an A3 version - which didn't go into service until 1960. I'm not sure if there were any external changes as from what I've read the main upgrade was from a petrol to a Diesel engine. However Revell apparently do a nice M48A2 and an M47 so I might go for one of those.

In terms of aircraft - what scale are most of the builds likely to be with all the big stuff being done 1/72?

Cheers

Stuart

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Tamiya's T-55A dates from 2002. It can be found second hand for under £20 if you look around. There are versions with additional parts thatypush the price up.

The M48A1 is produced by Dragon although it's not cheap at £40 plus. Revell make an A2 as did Monogram many years ago. I don't believe that theyre the same tooling though.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
chrism

Post by chrism »

What variants of Cromwell do you need overall and more especially for Korea.

I've got a few 1/72 / 1/76 Cromwell variants - probably not right Regiments and decals at present, but that can be reviewed as I have decal sheets.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Good list here

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/ar ... 0-1959.asp

Scroll down for links

Didn't realise the Sa-2 was 1957, got a 1/35 in the stash
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:What variants of Cromwell do you need overall and more especially for Korea.

I've got a few 1/72 / 1/76 Cromwell variants - probably not right Regiments and decals at present, but that can be reviewed as I have decal sheets.

It's really anything you fancy building Chris. I'm going to keep the display flexible and make it up during set-up with whatever models show up so as to give everybody as much leeway as possible.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Kitaholic wrote:Good list here

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/ar ... 0-1959.asp

Scroll down for links

Didn't realise the Sa-2 was 1957, got a 1/35 in the stash

That is a handy list 8-)

And I didn't realise the SCUD was a 1950's weapon either!!
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War Chat”