USS Buchanan or hms campletown

The Ship GB.
Runs April 16th to June 10th.
GB Leader: jRatz
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: USS Buchanan or hms campletown

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Well, if it comes out Mountbatten Pink, then you're back to doing Campbeltown :lol:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

camp town , pink ahh yes i got it! stupid geordie you'll have to be more clear next time i read the posts twice before i got it.

any how a little done, drilled the port holes and sprayed the decks 3 times each on a different shade untill i got one that looked like a wwii uss deck, thats a hard colour to mix.
also sorted the centre seam on the hull.
I cut off the kit's attempt at railing posts as i'm going to attempt my first railings from scratch. Now help is needed here so dive in guys as i have looked at a few solutions and PE is not an option the add on for this kit is £££££££££'s so i'm going to try strech spru which i've been practicing or some EZ line and some cut telephone wire for the posts.?
fenman
Getting well comfy!

Post by fenman »

The fine EZ Line is very fine and easy to use as it is fine enough to wrap once around each post before moving on to the next. Wouldn't fancy doing it myself though...... be prepared to go mad is all I can say :shock:
Graham

Learn something new every day
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

omi wrote:I cut off the kit's attempt at railing posts as i'm going to attempt my first railings from scratch. Now help is needed here so dive in guys as i have looked at a few solutions and PE is not an option the add on for this kit is £££££££££'s so i'm going to try strech spru which i've been practicing or some EZ line and some cut telephone wire for the posts.?
got to agree with fenman here; if you choose to do railings like this you are very, ah, courageous :) i think getting the spacing of the uprights constant will be a real challenge, but good luck if you choose to try.

one point to consider is that for railings, you dont need to buy the exact p/e set for the kit, sometimes you can get generic railings in an appropriate scale which can be used for many ships (unless you demand absolute accuracy) and just give the impression of busyness. The railings i am using on Duqusne are generic.
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I wouldn't have cut off the posts (stanchions), just cut the rails from them.
Don't try to wrap each post -- wrap the first one, then run the line along the outside of the rails to an end point, tie it off then go back & put a tiny dab of CA on each pole to hold the line. The reason to run along the outside is the curve will hold the line taut against the rail.
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

well i tried with the making of railings and failed, big time. so i took the advise given and ordered some generic pe railings but at 1/350 so i hope they look ok.
deck colour.
anti foul paint.
some wood work.

and yes i have already cut of the kits railings (because i know what im doing NOT!) but to be fair thay did look out of scale.
question:---- anchor chains for said ship where do i get them because i also sanded off the molded ones like i saw fenman do on his hms hood, without sourcing the replacements first.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

For chain, try a search for online model ship shops -- White Ensign, Model Dockyard, I'm sure you have many over there. I get mine, in the US, from Model Expo.

You want a small "links per inch" brass or copper chain -- I have about 10 feet each of 42 LPI and 27 LPI. PE chain is flat unless you try to twist every other link part way & it still isn't quite right. Problem with "real" chain, such as I have, is the links are still more round-ish than oblong-ish, but if I lay it neatly it looks OK.
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

thanks again jratz your a mine of info which is most welcome sir.
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

alreet all,
got some modeling timein today after a busy week touring our fair country (wet).
sourced some chain for the anchor (impetuous) of me when i was sanding the decks down, ah! just call me a radical without a pause.
did some scratch on the deck fittings, ill take some pics later, enjoying this build as it's not quite straight foreward.
the PE railings have come out ok very fiddily but stand out very well.

later peeps
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

well all done and it was a stuggle. due to work commitments and swmbo i have had little time with this model but i'm ok with the result. i tried some scratch detailing and i had to create a propeller shaft as it was missing from the kit, new railings all around and the decks had the deck planking sanded off.

enjoyed the group build guys and it was great talking to you all.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Good ! The weathering seems just right.
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

thanks you two, i'm still tring to perfect the use of oils for the stains on the side.
Molly-new
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Molly-new »

They look great to me. Any chance of a "how to" guide?
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4

Return to “Down to the Sea in Ships”