HMS Mary Rose -- White Ensign 1/350

The Ship GB.
Runs April 16th to June 10th.
GB Leader: jRatz
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: HMS Mary Rose -- White Ensign 1/350

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Very sorry for sporadic posts, but we have a lot going on and are now off on a care-giving trip until Tuesday. Then I have several other days consumed when we get back.

In my own quirky way of hull painting, the red hull and black boot stripe are done. I'll paint the upper hull when I get back and then I hope to start moving faster than I have been.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Well, life sure got in the way of this one (and Iron Duke). I have had little bench time and progress has been slow.

Nonetheless, here we are. The hull is painted, although I now see a slight seam just below deck level on the port quarter that I'll need to fix and touch up.

In all the handling, I managed to break a few bitts & bollards and have replaced them with wire. The struts are on, the props and propshafts are painted and ready. I carefully drilled out the hawse holes so I can insert the anchor with stock and properly attach same -- a bit risky but I got the alignment right.

I have started to paint some of the deck pieces. As with the hull, I am using WEM RN03, AP507C Admiralty Light Grey, but it is so thin that I first have to give a 1-2 coats of Humbrol 147 as a base, then at least two of the WEM -- all these coats, with drying time, just adds to the build time. BTW, Humbrol 147 is a good match to Admiralty Light Grey, perhaps just a tad bluer.

I really hope to have the hull done by Friday and have a start on the rather complex corticene and steel deck pattern. After that, it'll go much better, he says wishfully.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Yes, the balsa is a temp stand; I build them for every ship model. As to the permanent stand, I don't know, but there are two holes in the underside for the mounting. It was a bit less than straightforward when I encountered a slight warpage/mis-match between the upper & lower hull sections. Other than that, it is a bit odd for a ship in that there are very few resin/white-metal parts because of WW1 destroyer design; once I get the deck painted and the few big pieces mounted, it'll be mostly photo-etch.

Today, I decided to try and get ahead of the model, rather than continue to pursue my usual straight-narrow approach to the hull. While still working it (tape came off today), I also painted all the PE Admiralty Light Grey; attached 8 W/T doors (7 of which will be almost, if not completely, invisible), and started detail work on the bridge structure. There are two opening to be cut in the wings for ladders and that was easy -- WEM cast just a thin piece at those two places. There is a block on the bridge meant to be a chart table; a P/E piece is provided as an alternative, but I don't see the block coming out without making a mess -- I don't know why they did it this way. I think I'll treat it as a chart table/cabinet and move along. I also put a base coat of Adm Lt Grey on the deck structures -- I'll have to do less once I get the deck itself painted; which should start tomorrow.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, but I have what I need -- WEM kits are pretty thorough, and I've done some other research.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Now we start painting the deck. Again the WEM Corticene is too thin so I've put on a base coat of Humbrol 186 Brown, which wouldn't look too bad itself, except a bit dark.

Next get the WEM to cover then on to Dark Grey steel decks. I have also started to clean up the white metal parts, which are tiny and I'm really afraid I'll lose a couple. The intakes are disappointingly solid and I have started to try to drill them out a little but it is not easy as they are so small. Another minor problem with the white metal parts is that there is no "sprue shot" of them -- you have to work through two assembly drawings to figure them out -- it isn't insurmountable.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

This is shaping up into an interesting model (for ship ;-) )
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Looks the same today as it did a couple days ago, except the corticene has reached the proper color. Tomorrow we start the dark steel grey - a bit of tricky masking to get the proper straight lines .....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

All the basic paint is on the deck -- now I'm tidying up. You know how that goes -- a hopefully decreasing spiral of touch-ups until finally there is no more need for any. I'm about half way there in this picture.

Close enough that I can start working other things while touching up the deck. Right now the Adm Sea Gray is OK; I have some brush ooops to get off the corticene and steel, plus neaten up the deck to hull line.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

"A hopefully decreaing spiral of touch-ups".
A most apt phrase.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Lots happening now; bridge, stacks, and 'bandstand' are on, as are some PE parts you probably cannot see.

I'm now working my way through the PE and whitemetal. I'm a bit disorganized because I didn't go lay this out step by step, piece by piece, as I should have. The WEM instructions are good, but need some study.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Continuing to work on photo-etch and white-metal details. It's been a quiet day, so to speak, so I spent a lot of time at the bench. TS Beryl is passing by and we're up to 6 in of rain with several more hours to go. Winds are mild. Interesting that we've gotten two named storms before the official start of season -- it's OK, that's two less for later on when they tend to get nasty ….

The ladders from the foredeck to the bridge didn't fit through the opening, so I had a bunch of work with a small file to open those up. All four ladders required the rails to be bent up, then the steps to be bent also - that's rather tricky if you've not done one before. With the ladder facing you, start at the bottom and using a pair of fine tweezers, bend the step back and down, then move up to the next one. It probably needs photos to demonstrate, maybe later.

The anchors are in; I think I have some chain about ready so that may happen tomorrow also.

Got the vents up, some baskets up, the sirens on the center funnel, some bitts and bollards, binnacles and things on the bridge and aft steering.

Tomorrow should be torpedo tubes and guns, then lots of little photo-etch parts …. I also have lots of paint touchup to do.
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Wow, the etch really adds to it, though it looks sooooooo fiddly, great work John.

Cheers
Jim
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

i love this one, it looks just right :)
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Lots of progress, but not enough to finish on time. We are off for a few days.

Most the fittings are on, only lacking the boats and main guns, and of course the railings and rigging.

And details ….

Here's the guns and boats in progress.

It's going to look great when finished; I'll do that in the Ship forum thread.

Return to “Down to the Sea in Ships”