HMS Hood with E Class Destroyer Tamiya 1:700

The Ship GB.
Runs April 16th to June 10th.
GB Leader: jRatz
fenman
Getting well comfy!

HMS Hood with E Class Destroyer Tamiya 1:700

Post by fenman »

Hi guys, really looking forward to this as my first GB on this forum so I gather this is a great way to get to know people :-)

I have the Tamiya 1:700 HMS Hood that includes a great little E Class destroyer so I hope to base them up together even though they would not get that close in real life. Hope this is OK, please feel free to put me right if I stray out of the guidelines.

Graham

Learn something new every day
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: HMS Hood with E Class Destroyer Tamiya 1:700

Post by PaulBradley »

I think this will be great, and perfectly acceptable.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Hi Graham, glad to have you with us, and great choice !

The purpose of this is to build ships -- I that kit/combo is what you want then all we're here to do is help you. It's OK if you want to have either Electra or Echo close by the Hood, we assume you don't have the whole Denmark Strait on your display table :grin:

The way a UAMF GB works best is with frequent posting of progress, with pix, and discussion amongst all. Posing of questions, problems, and solutions is the key for all of us to learn from each other.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Nice choice for this build. I look forward to seeing your progress.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
fenman
Getting well comfy!

Post by fenman »

Thanks guys, looking forward to the 'kick off' tomorrow.

John, I was going to display the whole Denmark Straights scenario but felt it would take far too much plaster for the sea base so I am scaling it down a tad.
Maritime is my favoured subject with armour/soft skins coming a close second so it looks like I have joined this forum at a great time.

Looking forward to seeing all the builds come together.
Graham

fenman
Getting well comfy!

Post by fenman »

Thought I would add the sprue shot. I will be adding the White Ensign PE to the hood, I should have enough PE railings knocking about to brighten up the destroyer a bit. I also have an incomplete Trumpeter kit that I may cannibalise the smaller weapons from as they appear to look much better than the Tamiya AA stuff.

I do feel that I am taking a relatively easy option with this kit, some of the other builds look as though they will be far more challenging maybe I should have gone with the Airfix Belfast to be more fitting. Anyway, plenty of oppertunity to build that somewhere else :)

By the way, am I correct in thinking 800x600 is the largest picture size on here?

So here are the parts:

Graham

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Hey, Graham - if some of us wish to torture ourselves, you really don't need to follow suit....! ;-) I for one am looking forward to seeing how a modern kit goes together!

BTW, pic size is OK.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Photo-etch railings are, IMO, the single best thing one add to a ship model kit to make it snap !!
fenman
Getting well comfy!

Post by fenman »

Totally agree, if nothing else then railings really work. Total pain putting them on though. My 1:700 Revell Bismarck took as long to add railings as it did to build. :shock:
Graham

fenman
Getting well comfy!

Post by fenman »

OK, the keel is laid and the sound of riveting hammers fills the room......

Off to a decent start, already dipping into the incomplete Trumpeter kit for a little extra detail here and there.

As usual with the Tamiya Waterline, you get a steel bar to add some weight. Love them or hate them? I actually quite like them, gives a bit of grunt to the small kits. Make sure they are really well glued in though, you don't want that thing rattling around in the hull when the ba plate has been glued on!

Next stage that has to be done prior to baseplate is the little grommet things for the swivelling main guns. Again, it's a love hate thing but they do make it easy for placing them to see how they look during the build. The grommets are sealed under the grey plastic caps

All the deck comes as one piece except for the for deck section which actually joins at the breakwaters so a very good place to hide the join. As usual at this scale, the anchor chains are moulded on so a bit of work with a micro chisel and they are gone. Inevitably at 1:700, even the finest chain will be out of scale but I do think real chain looks better.

The central raised deck fits OK, there is a slight gap at the front edge but this will be easy to deal with, probably a drop of PVA will do. I will not be glueing this in place until after painting to enable me to paint under the overhanging sections.

These are the components for the lower section of the main bridge, they go together very nicely once I worked out that I was trying to build it upside down :roll:

This is not the sort of place you want (or should expect) pin marks.... out with the micro chisel again. I could not really fill them as there is no room to sand so I just scraped away until they were gone.

Out with the 'Hold & Fold' already to bend and fit the brass intake grills around the funnel bases. Although very little of this is glued up, she is starting to take shape.

I decided to go with the Trumpeter funnels as they are better detailed. Even so, I still cut out the grill on the cap to use the Photo Etch.

On the right is the Trumpeter cap, centre modified with PE, still a bit of cleaning up to do, and left, the slightly better Tamiya cap.

And here it is as we stand. The Trumpeter funnels are much better, a bit fatter too. Again, I build in layers to facilitate painting so a lot of this is just dry fitted, I will cement it all up when painted.

Not too bad for the first day, things will slow down now as I have to go to work tomorrow lol
Graham

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Wow that is coming along nicely and quite quick. Looking good.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
smethwick
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by smethwick »

I like the PE extras.....wish i could get them for my kit...adds so much
An ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness.
Elbert Hubbard
fenman
Getting well comfy!

Post by fenman »

Gold Medal Models do a 1:500 PE Navel Ships set which can be used on the Long Beach. read the bottom of the page on this link. This would at least give you the railings, ladders etc as well as a few other bits.

http://goldmm.com/ships/gms500-5.htm;
Graham

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Wow, that's a fast start ! And thanks for the detailed build explanations ... good tips there.
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

nice job there
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count

Return to “Down to the Sea in Ships”