HMS Hood with E Class Destroyer Tamiya 1:700

The Ship GB.
Runs April 16th to June 10th.
GB Leader: jRatz
MerlinJones

Re: HMS Hood with E Class Destroyer Tamiya 1:700

Post by MerlinJones »

Agreed.
I have to admit to some bemusement re the metal bar in the hull.

I'll be watching and may, one day, finally get around to finishing Fearless.

Regards,
Bruce
fenman
Getting well comfy!

Post by fenman »

Decided to have a look at the 'E' Class Destroyer that came with the Hood. First of all, an apology..... I said in my preamble that I would be using some spare railings to brighten up the Destroyer. While looking through my PE sets, I found I had the full set from White Ensign for the Tamiya 'E' and 'F' class. I honestly cannot remember ordering these, must be my age. Will have to have a look what else I have without knowing it. :oops:

Anyway, this is the first time I have really looked at this kit and I was pleasantly surprised, it is a very nice little kit! Hull consists of two sides, a base plate and deck which all fits together beautifully. Not very big though...

The only down side is the way the bow is sort of keyed together, this will need a bit of filling but it is only on one side.

The funnels are very nicely done with the moulded on pipes actually covering any seams, no sanding needed. The caps are quite nice so this time I decided not to drill them out and replace with PE, a tad too small. The Aztec stairs will be replaced with PE.

This is the underside of the blast shield above the forward guns protecting the main bridge. To brighten it up a bit, the two outer supports are cut off and replaced with PE, probably not be noticed when it is finished.

The stern depth charge 'dispenser' does not look to authentic but there is a four part PE replacement

I set out just to have a look at it but I could not help starting it. I know this is available as a stand alone kit and I would highly recommend it. Have to say, I am really enjoying this GB :grin:

Graham

Learn something new every day
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Looking good and way ahead of me !!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

that PE for the rack on the stern is mint. nice work with the PE.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Nice work with the PE
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

love this ship (hood) it's going to look good with the details on. are you going to put it on a sea base?
fenman
Getting well comfy!

Post by fenman »

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I try to put all my waterlines on a sea base but I am never happy with them. I tend to use acrylic gel for the texture but it tends to be a bit flat and boring. Not sure if it will be on this build but I want to try a thicker plaster base that will allow a bit more '3D' on the waves, especially given the history of these two. An Atlantic swell would be far more appropriate.

This is my Bismarck, again 1:700 from Revell with WEM PE. You can see what I mean about the sea base being flat.
Graham

omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

i'm going to give this ago fenman, its in two parts and the affect looks good and best of all cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOpc8Q6a7M;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtWCKsx ... ure=relmfu;.
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Great start Fenman, and the Bismark looks stunning.
BEEN A WHILE
fenman
Getting well comfy!

Post by fenman »

Sorry if this messes up but I posted a reply some time ago and it has not worked.... I love technology lol.

Anyway, thanks for the links Omi, I like that idea as it is cheap, looks effective and is cheap (which I like). May be time consuming creating each wave but if it looks good, what is Time? I also note that the demo is done on a piece of cardboard but no warpage is evident, very nice.

Thanks for you comment re the Bismarck Bromo, it really is a great kit in both 1:350 and 1:700 which I did. Probably the best Revell ships in those scales.

Right, the 'E' Class destroyer is up to priming stage so it will go to one side while I return to the Hood. The little brass replacement gun shields are worth getting the PE for, they are gorgeous.

Graham

fenman
Getting well comfy!

Post by fenman »

Back onto the Hood.

First of all, something I have been dreading but it turned out not too bad. This is the mainmast spotting 'Starfish' platform from above and below made from 15 little pieces of brass.

Next the choice of Tamiya or Trumpeter 8 barrel Pom Pom guns. There is only three of these, one on the stern superstructure and one each side about level with the forward funnel. The Trumpeter are much better detailed but are a bit bigger than the Tamiya. Not sure which is correct but the Trumpeter ones do look better so I will probably go with them.
Graham

bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

That is one nice bit of tiny brass assembly work, and i agree the Trumpeter pom pom looks way better.
BEEN A WHILE
Molly-new
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Molly-new »

Excellent build so far Graham, and an interesting thread to boot. I have never used PE but having seen how much it improves your ship I am tempted to give it a go in the future.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
fenman
Getting well comfy!

Post by fenman »

PE is a love hate thing. Much as I love it, I never use all of it. Sometimes you find bits that appear to be just for the sake of it and as for pe chain, well, I will say no more.

Thanks for your comments : -)
Graham

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

For the starfish, did you use a CA or acrylic glue, or soldering ? I can solder waterpipes & electronics just fine, but not CA, for some reason.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Down to the Sea in Ships”