PYRO 1/160 Steamboat NATCHEZ

The Ship GB.
Runs April 16th to June 10th.
GB Leader: jRatz
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

PYRO 1/160 Steamboat NATCHEZ

Post by beany »

Whilst up in the loft yesterday I found this, and immediately thought about this group build. I bought the kit for £15.00 when my local model shop closed down. The lady owner was very reluctant to sell it as it had been her favourite, but I promised that one day it would get built.

From Wikipedia I have deduced that this kit represents the 7th Steamboat to carry the name Natchez, and probably the most famous one after the race with the Robert E Lee.
The seventh Natchez was built in 1869. It was 301 feet (92 m) long, had eight boilers and a 5,500 cotton bale capacity. In its nine and a half year service, it made 401 trips without a single deadly accident. It became famous as the participant against another Mississippi paddle steamer, the Robert E. Lee, in a race from New Orleans to St. Louis in June 1870, immortalized in a lithograph by Currier and Ives. This Natchez had beaten the previous speed record, that of the J. M. White in 1844. Stripped down, carrying no cargo, steaming on through fog and making only one stop, the Robert E. Lee won the race in 3 days, 8 hours and 14 minutes. By contrast, the Natchez carried her normal load and stopped as normal, tying up overnight when fog was encountered. Despite this she berthed only six hours later. One way Leathers tried to speed up his boat was giving all of his workers whiskey. When Leathers finally dismantled the boat in Cincinnati in 1879, this particular Natchez had never flown the American flag

The kit is moulded in several different colours of plastic, has two small reels of rigging thread and paper printed "decals" for flags etc. The instructions are printed on both sides of a sheet roughly A3 and folded in four. The hull of the boat is 20.5 inches long. From another site I have taken them at their word when they say the kit is 1/160 scale.

The instructions:

There are no colour photos of the real ship available obviously, and the famous lithograph shows the two steamships both in similar white liveries so I will basically attempt to reproduce the livery as per the box art, whether it be ficticious or not - lime green and brown will certainly be eye-catching.

The kit parts:

The Airfix Beaufighter body is shown to give an idea of scale of the boat.

I'm looking forward to building this one.
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
fenman
Getting well comfy!

Re: PYRO 1/160 Steamboat NATCHEZ

Post by fenman »

Well, the diversity of this GB was already outstanding but this has really made the grade. I have to say, as a newcomer to this forum, I admire the challenges that you guys take on. This will be a really fascinating project to follow.
Graham

Learn something new every day
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

This is bit of an American classic and has been reboxed several times since Pyro folded. Look like some bizzare marbling on the red parts, would give many a Matchbox kti a run for it's money if built unpainted.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Interesting !!
I have a Revell (1972) river boat Robert E. Lee that looks virtually identical part wise but the claimed length is just 15 inches vice your 20.5 so I guess one is not a rebox of the other. I had strongly considered hauling that out for the GB ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Wow!
What a great looking kit. Good looking instructions as well, with attention to detail. Quite removed from today's efforts.
What're the green bush-like pieces for, in the penultimate picture?

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

jRatz wrote:Interesting !!
I have a Revell (1972) river boat Robert E. Lee that looks virtually identical part wise but the claimed length is just 15 inches vice your 20.5 so I guess one is not a rebox of the other. I had strongly considered hauling that out for the GB ....
Pyro also released the Robert E. Lee. According to my notes (I've been cataloguing Pyro kits for the last year :roll:) both the Pyro kits are around 1/160 and approximately 21" long are probably the same kit with some alt parts for the name. So the Revell kit is probably different - 'Remembering Revell' might have the answer.

http://www.OldModelKits.com; is always very handy for research.

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?d ... &manu=Pyro;
http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?d ... &manu=Pyro;
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany

Post by beany »

MerlinJones wrote: What're the green bush-like pieces for, in the penultimate picture?
Piles :shock:

Wood Piles to be precise Bruce - have a look at the bottom right of the first instruction sheet picture above mate. They sit alongside the boilers. I must admit on first seeing them on the spues I assumed they were some sort of ornamental hedgerow to sit on the deck somewhere!

Cheers
Al.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Aaaah...fuel! Thank you.
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

strange, colourful, old plastic and fiddly, i like it i'll be watching with mother!
does it come with a stand or base or does just take up all the room in the cabinet?
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

VERY interesting.......look forward to seeing this progress 8-)
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
beany

Post by beany »

Hulland Chimneys.

No, not a sleepy, rural village in the Derbyshire Dales, but more a description of what I did last night - stuck the hull together and the two large smoke stacks (but didn't take a photos of those). Also glued the two halves of the 8 furnace boiler assembly, which needed a bit of filler at the back just in case it can be seen later, which I doubt to be honest. It is a shame the whole boiler block is to be painted black because the marbling in the plastic is lovely.

I could always buy another and use them as snow shoes...

The photos don't really reflect the amount of work done cleaning many of the parts up last night. I'm not sure how old this particular issue of this kit is but the plastic is very hard and brittle and difficult to cut and to file.

Cheers
Al.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

What a fantastic subject Beany, and one with such an interesting history. I particularly liked this bit "One way Leathers tried to speed up his boat was giving all of his workers whiskey".

Now that's what I call worker incentives :grin:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
beany

Post by beany »

I've just realised I took some progress pictures last week and then forgot to post them, so here they are.

The tedious job of assembling the paddle wheels - especially when hardly any of it will be seen once the covers are fitted in place!

Matt black for the boilers and the two large smoke stacks - although I think these may be red - very hard to tell from the box art and as clear as mud in the instructions.

Cheers
Al.
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

looking good Al, i have never seen this kit before far less seen one built.
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count

Return to “Down to the Sea in Ships”