Jeff Fokker

Dreidekker zweidecker eindecker go.
Runs April 16th to May 13th.
GBL Gregers
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Jeff Fokker

Post by jssel »

My entry into the fray is the Monogram (ex-Aurora) Fokker D VII. Monogram re-worked the original Aurora kit by added fresher detail to the moulds. A real American Classic kit and a real Fokker icon from WWI to the point of being banned at the time of surrender.

Box art. Not as nice as the Aurora

the Innards

the References not showing the InAction book

The Kagero book is really nice with a decal sheet included. Good stuff. I also have a few sheets of lozenge for uppers and lowers. Look closely at the Micro Scale sheet. The wood grain prop decals are spooky.

Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Jeff Fokker

Post by Gregers »

I built one of these many years ago when I was still at school and painted it (Rather badly) as Rudolph Berthold's aircraft. I remember it being a nice build. Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
jssel

Post by jssel »

I am slanting towards Udet's red one as the decals come with the Kagero book. Two different versions of his D VII
jssel

Post by jssel »

Some early work done. Cleaning of the parts etc. It seems to me that the D VII was covered in lozenge fabric at the factory so the pigments would have bled through to the inside. To simulate this I used the lower surface lozenge (the lighter of the colors) on the inside of the cockpit. The decals are from TechMod.

Parts layout at the moment.

Here is the engine. Nicely detailed for the age. Metalizer Anodized Grey with aluminum dry brushing . The exhaust header and pipes were painted Testors Rubber 1183 which is a very dark brown and a dry brushing of Testors Rust 1185.

TimJ
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TimJ »

Nice work so far.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
jssel

Post by jssel »

Things are progressing nicely. I am amazed with the fit of everything. For the age and lineage of the moulds it is a nice kit overall. The biggest hurdle so far is the very pronounced ejection tab marks but at least they are in easy to fix locations.

The lower wing uppers are decaled.

Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Looks great Jeff, I've the Revell boxing of this, I remember building the Monogram Albatross as a lad, I wonder if that was Aurora too?

Cheers
Jim
jssel

Post by jssel »

I believe the Alby was an Aurora mould also but there was this thing about whether it was a DIII or D V. Can't remember which it really was right now. I have the Aurora boxing with the Edelweiss markings. Seems the markings where for the wrong version.
jssel

Post by jssel »

More Lozenge applied. Touchy but enjoyable work. Save all of your scraps as they can be used to patch torn spots or small gaps.

Now the contrast to all of this is a bright red fuselage.

My pilot figure has a big hole in the front. That will take some work to repair.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thought it was time to check out the other D7 and very good it looks too. I'm interested in your speculation as to the interior colours as I can't find much in the way of references and to me your argument make sense. I've left mine in an approximation of non-coloured canvas on the sidewalls, now I'm not sure but I need to get on with building it. Decisions...decisions.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
jssel

Post by jssel »

I know what you mean on the interior. Between the Kagero book and the Squadron InAction book it shows the D VII both in the streaked fabric and lozenge from the factory. Due to the fact that the wings stayed lozenge, I felt the fuselage was also and painted red once assigned to Udet. The colors bled through on lozenge so I just picked the lighter color to simulate this. My logic may be a ways off but it looks OK so far.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Sorry, no pictures tonight. The fuselage is primed a light grey so the red will look brighter when applied. The upper wing is completely "lozenged" now.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

jssel wrote:I know what you mean on the interior. Between the Kagero book and the Squadron InAction book it shows the D VII both in the streaked fabric and lozenge from the factory. Due to the fact that the wings stayed lozenge, I felt the fuselage was also and painted red once assigned to Udet. The colors bled through on lozenge so I just picked the lighter color to simulate this. My logic may be a ways off but it looks OK so far.
That's the way I would read the interior colour too Jeff, unless the red bled through the fabric too... :shock:

Nice going on this. :)

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
jssel

Post by jssel »

Putting on the red. In this case Testors Flat Red 1150.

Above the port wing is the machine gun package. For solid pieces, the detail is fairly nice and dry brushing should give the appearance of cooling jackets around the barrels.

The prop has received a coat of wood to start with.

The vertical stab only has the forward part in red. The remainder will be white.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Nice tidy work on the lozenge...be sure it's protected before you proceed.

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Meet the Fokkers Group build.”