Shaun Fokker - DVII

Dreidekker zweidecker eindecker go.
Runs April 16th to May 13th.
GBL Gregers
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Shaun Fokker - DVII

Post by AndrewR »

Still looking good Shaun, despite the eventful Bank holiday. I wasn't happy with the leading edge on my build either :)

I've just got a copy of the Spad versus Fokker DVII book, and there's a picture taken from behind a DVII looking forward, and you can see the struts are incredibly narrow in cross section. You'd need plastic strip, not rod, to rework them.

Anyhow, I think the decals really make this kit come alive.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

When I did my Roden DVII, I was also unhappy with a relatively untidy leading edge.
To fix it, I painted up some masking tape, cut a fine strip and applied that to the leading edge.
Tidied things up nicely and, for this lazyboy, easily! ;-)

Regards,
Bruce
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks for your replies and suggestions it seems that the leading edge is a bit of an issue on the D7! I'm going to do some more work on this build later on tonight now I've calmed down with myself.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Ok this has been my second GB and, unfortunately, will be my second DNF :oops: I know the finish date is tomorrow but my twin loves of building models and my MG sports car have collided, so to speak, in that I will be out most of the day tomorrow with the car on a MG Car Club run and therefore will have little or no time for modelling. Typical Walker timing I'm afraid. And I'm busy Monday and possibly Tuesday evening as well. Bugger!

Here's where I've got to:

Still to do are fitting the tailplane struts, u/c rigging, control horns and control wires, fitting the seat (which is painted), making and fitting a control column and fitting the prop (which is already painted), dealing with a bit of decal silvering, final matt or semi-matt coat and that's it! At least I got nearer to finishing than the last GB! First chance I get over the coming week and next weekend I'll finish her up and put her in the aviation modelling section. I've really enjoyed this GB and building the first bipe and indeed propeller aircraft, I've done in years.

Thanks for looking.

IPMS#12300
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Quit babbling on here and finish that bipe!

Regards,
Bruce
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I know, I know, it's almost done by your standards Bruce and you would finish it in about half an hour but in comparison I build in slow motion :-D I must find the book of excuses in order to explain why I'm not building tonight in a last minute push now I've got back in. Truth is, I've opened a tinny and disaster will follow if I try to stick bits of placcy together now!!

IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:I know, I know, it's almost done by your standards Bruce and you would finish it in about half an hour but in comparison I build in slow motion :-D I must find the book of excuses in order to explain why I'm not building tonight in a last minute push now I've got back in. Truth is, I've opened a tinny and disaster will follow if I try to stick bits of placcy together now!!
I only had a glass of wine once I finished the Eindecker. :grin: Ran out of champagne... and had to settle for a Niagara Peninsula blended white wine. Pretty good for a cheap bottle. Drinkies + modelling = disaster, at least as far as I'm concerned.

cheers (obviously)

Andrew
Up in the Great White North

Return to “Meet the Fokkers Group build.”