Andrew Fokker - another E.III *** Finished ***

Dreidekker zweidecker eindecker go.
Runs April 16th to May 13th.
GBL Gregers
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Andrew Fokker - another E.III *** Finished ***

Post by AndrewR »

I found myself between Fokkers on this GB, as I have a Revell DVII partly completed, and a brace of Eduard Dreideckers coming for my birthday (but not here yet). The only thing I have left is another E.III from Revell.

This is the latest issue of the venerable, nay, well worn, kit which John Fokker is also building.

The latest boxart isn't bad, but I wish Revell would stop using side-opening boxes.

There's not much inside apart from the multilingual safety leaflet, which is rather larger than the instructions :) , a single sprue of light tan plastic, with one piece already detached :shock: and a nice sheet of Italian-printed decals, with only one marking option: Vizefeldwebel (roughly Sergeant or Staff Sergeant) Ernst Udet.

I fear that the tooling is wearing out, as there is a considerable amount of flash, and the plastic can hardly be described as "crisply moulded" :roll: The poor Vizefeldwebel has a nasty hole in his stomach, as the most obvious sign.

There are also some ejector pin marks, which are relatively shallow, and to be fair, are on the lower wing. Some cleanup will be needed. The rotary engine will certainly need a little fettling. The ribbing detail is very exaggerated, and might benefit from a little toning down.

As you might expect, as there are few parts in this kit, the instructions are rather short. The painting guide does include a rigging diagram, which makes a nice change from the Revell DVII and the Airfix Albatros. :grin:

The machine gun looks pretty sad :cry: , and will be enhanced with a little photoetch from the Airwaves WWI generic set. Otherwise, it will probably be pretty much out of the box. I'll attempt to rig this (stop sniggering back there) with elastic thread.

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Andrew Fokker - another E.III

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Well, good, a build companion :)

My rigging instructions say cut fuze wire to length shown, then fail to show length or placement (I figured it out).
My pilot, from the earliest days of the mold, appears more like Goering in later days -- perhaps yours had that appetite surgery ? :lol:

Along with the ej-pins underwing, check under stab and one side of rudder.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Andrew Fokker - another E.III *** Finished ***

Post by AndrewR »

jRatz wrote:Well, good, a build companion :)

My rigging instructions say cut fuze wire to length shown, then fail to show length or placement (I figured it out).
My pilot, from the earliest days of the mold, appears more like Goering in later days -- perhaps yours had that appetite surgery ? :lol:

Along with the ej-pins underwing, check under stab and one side of rudder.
He definitely has a pit in the stomach!

If you want a scan of the rigging diagram, let me know; mind, it doesn't have any dimensions on it. Thanks for the tip on the other pin marks, I haven't had a really close look at the kit yet.

Cheers

Andrew
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

No thanks, I've got the rigging figured out ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Pictures when I find the camera... :roll:

I looked at the Eduard instructions for their Profipack of the E.III and decided to leave the cockpit as Revell intended (bare :) ), so I repaired the damage to Udet's stomach and then painted him up.
The seat was painted in Neutral Grey, the sides of the cockpit in Green Ochre (in Vallejospeak this means a medium tan) and the floor in Wood.
I was originally going to use Radome Tan for the fabric, and bought a bottle especially, but it appears to have turned into a distinctly unappetizing cream cheese in the bottle, so Green Ochre has been selected as a darker alternative. I'll also be trying out Vallejo primer for the first time.

Cheers

Andrew
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Hang on this isn't a biplane... next thing you'll be building a Mustang.. Image

This kit has always scared me, I like the look of it and then I figured out how small it is...

Is it Vallejo primer out of the spray can? I never figured out how to apply it so that it wasn't thick, and rough. I ran home crying to mummy Tamiya fine surface primer..

Cheers
Jim

Cheers
Jim
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Jagewa wrote:Hang on this isn't a biplane... next thing you'll be building a Mustang.. https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lRZY ... /tease.gif;

This kit has always scared me, I like the look of it and then I figured out how small it is...

Is it Vallejo primer out of the spray can? I never figured out how to apply it so that it wasn't thick, and rough. I ran home crying to mummy Tamiya fine surface primer..

Cheers
Jim

Cheers
Jim
It's the primer in the plastic bottle Jim. It can be brushed or sprayed. I'm brushing it this time, but I hope to airbrush it soon. I like Tamiya Primers too, but they're too smelly by half. There's a review of the stuff here

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2012 ... rimer.html;

Funny you should mention Mustangs... I'll be building one soon, when DirkPitt289 finds his Spitfire kit l, we're going to do a dual build. Mind, he's probably still masking up the Razzle Dazzle camo on HMT Olympic :)

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I found the camera!

Here's the woprk so far. Udet is looking better, having had a stomach transplant

The top side is not to bad, not much filler will be needed.

The underneath is not such a good fit, but nothing that can't be fixed.

cheers

Andrew
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Coming along fine Andrew, Ernst looks good.

The primer sounds great stuff, I'll be interested to hear you opinion of it.

Cheers
Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is very interesting and informative, I like the way you put comments onto the photos, but I haven't got a clue how you do it!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:This is very interesting and informative, I like the way you put comments onto the photos, but I haven't got a clue how you do it!
Thanks Shaun, I use a nice piece of freeware called Paint.net to put the text on the pictures, and also reduce them in size to speed the upload times to photobucket. I like paint.net because you don't need to read a manual to get it to do most of what you want! My tolerance for software which needs an instruction manual has pretty much disappeared over the years :)
Most image processing programs on the PC or Mac can do something similar.

I'm part way through building one of the Revell D.VII kits too, the build thread is here:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/RevellAtion ... =288&st=75;

I'm at the decal stage of Berthold's plane. The pictures are annotated! :grin:

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Jagewa wrote:Coming along fine Andrew, Ernst looks good.

The primer sounds great stuff, I'll be interested to hear you opinion of it.

Cheers
Jim

Jim, the Vallejo primer certainly brushes on nicely straight out of the pot. The texture is more like Tamiya medium than fine. I will definitely be using it for hairy stick work - Vallejo on an unprimed surface is a bit fragile. I hope that it airbrushes well too - I don't really like using rattle can primers - too smelly for inside work and the weather isn't that great for outside work yet.

One nice thing is that they do a range of colours (mostly intended for AFVs to judge by the names). I've only got the Panzer grey. I painted the engine in it, dry brushed some silver on top and it's finished. I also did the same with the inside of the cowling - a very dark primer is all that's needed! :grin:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks for the info Andrew. Your D7 build is also interesting especially the interior colour. I'm now wondering if I should have opted for blue, given the possibility of bleed through effect. Oh well, too late now as I've joined up the fuselage so I'm sticking to my interpretation!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Brews wrote:Not sure what you've intended for your pilot, Andrew, but if those are seat belts down his jacket then he's very unusual. Just a lap belt for these boys, I'm pretty sure. The last time I made one of these, the wings tended to sag. Good luck with your alignments. The rigging will make this "pop".
Well, I was following the Eduard Profipack instructions, which do show shoulder harnesses as well as the lap belt :)
Also the shoulder straps are molded on the figure, although that doesn't necessarily mean anything!

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:Thanks for the info Andrew. Your D7 build is also interesting especially the interior colour. I'm now wondering if I should have opted for blue, given the possibility of bleed through effect. Oh well, too late now as I've joined up the fuselage so I'm sticking to my interpretation!
Well, the interior colour is wide open to speculation. In some profiles, the sides of the fuselage are in the green streaky camouflage (over CDL). That would have been the "original" paint scheme, so you might well see a paler version bleed through the sides. Then they may, or may not have slapped another coat over that, leaving a mess :)

Having thought more about, I thing blue is probably not right, I suspect a streaky brown might be better :shock:

Cheers

Andrew

Return to “Meet the Fokkers Group build.”