Looks great, Andrew.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Andrew Fokker - another E.III

Post by AndrewR »

Thanks chaps, I'm chuffed with the way it's turned out.
So far! :)
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Very nice, now I not only have to make a respectable finish to mine, but also learn to annotate my images :grin:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Not much to report from the weekend - I stuck a photoetch gun sight onto the gun, and put a coat of Pledge on the sides, ready for decalling.

I did play around with my new airbrush, but that's another story... :)

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

So, nothing much has been happeing for a few days, after a delay caused by my birthday and our youngest son having a virus infection :sick: ( long sad saga there... :sad: ), we now have the rest of the decals on the Eindecker. :)

Clumsy old me managed to knock the rudder and both footholds off while I was blundering around decalling. I also realised that I'd forgotten to paint the rudder white. Just after I'd got the decals on. :shock:

The rudder rigging will need a bit of "make and mend", and the rudder mounting pin broke off, so the rudder is pretty weak.

I did leave off a few of the tiny decals, and one or two needed putting on before the rigging :roll: , and it wasn't worth the risk of trying to decal behind all that rigging. No Sir.

The black stripe is a decal. On the sheet it's supplied in two parts, each of which will wrap around three sides of the square - section fuselage - but only if the end of the white diagonal is in exactly the right place.

There were two chances of me getting that right, (a) Fat and (b) Slim. :shock:

So I cut the decal into bits and did each of the 4 sides separately. :-D It seems to have worked. I may need to do a bit more trimming tomorrow

A few paint touch ups will be needed (the photoetch gunsight for one) and then a coat of flat varnish. I'll be trying out Vallejo flat from my new airbrush :clap: I've been doing a bit of practising on an old Spitfire and a Hobbyboss MS-406. The MS-406 did get a reasonable NMF a few days ago, but now has a strange 3 tone camo of USN Intermediate blue, US Interior Green and Light Green. It's all done in the best possible taste... :ha:

I did find that the Vallejo primer went on very nicely, with no thinning. I will definitely be using it in future.

Cheers

Andrew
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I hope your son is now over the worse, viral infections can be very bad news. The little Fokker is looking excellent despite the saga of knocking bits off, decal issues and forgetting to paint the rudder!! I've been there on more than one occasion, including the current build :oops: It's all part of the fun, though it doesn't seem that way at the time!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

This is great modelling work, Andrew...and belated Birthday greetings.
Do you find that your modelling is slower and more considered, now that you're producing those lovely, informative images?

Regards,
Bruce
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MerlinJones wrote:This is great modelling work, Andrew...and belated Birthday greetings.
Do you find that your modelling is slower and more considered, now that you're producing those lovely, informative images?

Regards,
Bruce
Thanks Bruce. I think this is probably my best build for a while. I don't think that the annotated images slow me down while modelling. However, looking at a few images while annotating them does show up things that need fixing, and gives a bit of "contemplation time" on what needs to be done in the next session. That definitely helps keep the work flowing, particularly when real life makes frequent interruptions :)

There will be a WW1 surge coming up: Roden Brisfit and Camel, Revell SE5a and 1 1/2 Strutter and Eduard Dr1 and Nieuport 17 Dual Combos.
Plus a couple of Mustangs. Not a Spitfire on the horizon... :)

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:I hope your son is now over the worse, viral infections can be very bad news. The little Fokker is looking excellent despite the saga of knocking bits off, decal issues and forgetting to paint the rudder!! I've been there on more than one occasion, including the current build :oops: It's all part of the fun, though it doesn't seem that way at the time!
Thanks Shaun, David is recovering now, he's still lacking in energy though. His illness also coincided with me starting to teach evening classes, and that meant no modeling for a few days :shock:

I think everything that fell off can be put on again, I may have to leave the rudder rigging as is. It's not too bad. I'd definitely recommend this kit as a good build. A tiny bit of scratch building in the cockpit would improve things greatly, but it's a nice build OOB. The rigging is actually surprisingly easy because of the monoplane layout.

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I finally got the opportunity to spray some Vallejo matt varnish over the decals and then, the sun was shining on the kitchen table, so I got a few photos without the flash. The foot holds still need to go back on, but other than that, this one is complete. 8-)

The matt varnish sprays well straight out of the little squeezy bottle. No need to thin it :)

cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Finished!

I've stuck the foot holds back on and touched up a few spots with RLM 02. To try to fix the rigging on the tail would be a major job, as I'd have to scrape off the old rigging, repaint and then re-rig.

Graham's Airfix 1/76 Panther came over for a look.

He's a talented lad. :grin: Takes after his mother... :-D

First mosquito bite of the year today :cry:

This is Andrew Fokker signing off from a very entertaining GB.

cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Goodnight, John-boy.
MerlinJones

Re: Andrew Fokker - another E.III *** Finished ***

Post by MerlinJones »

And before Mary-Ellen pipes in, can I ask for some beauty shots? What I can see looks ace.

Regards,
Bruce
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MerlinJones wrote:And before Mary-Ellen pipes in, can I ask for some beauty shots? What I can see looks ace.

Regards,
Bruce
The camera batteries died on me last night. I'll get some photos up a.s.a.p. :)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Very nice. The mottling on the cowling looks good.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Meet the Fokkers Group build.”