Dazzled's Venerable Victor

For the 30th Anniversary; any subject, air, sea, or land.
Runs May 1st to June 14th.
GB Leaders: bromo, Dazzled
bromo
On a long, long journey

Re: Dazzled's Venerable Victor

Post by bromo »

Ahhh the deadly Humbrol acrylic strikes again, i threw all mine in the bin so i am not tempted to use it ever again.You could always revert to the hairy stick? and have the same fun as i had painting the Nimrod,and various parts of me self as well at the same time.
BEEN A WHILE
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Bad luck if you fall at the last fence, especially when it's down to something like bum paint, very frustrating! :evil:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Hows it going Darryl?
BEEN A WHILE
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

It's generally recognised that Humbrol acrylics can't be thinned for airbrushing. Though I believe Peebeep has some success using Klear. Best getting their (different formula) acrylic rattle cans which conversely are meant to be pretty good it they do the colour you want.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

I tried using Kleer with some interior green,it sprayed okay right up till it dried on the tip of the airbrush and blew out big gobs of paint everywhere.Humbrol are expanding there range of rattle can colours H166 and H168 would of been nice, and an Extra Dark Sea Grey would be nice for the Sea Vixen.I have had good results with the rattle cans i have used.
BEEN A WHILE
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Having done much experimenting I've found that Humbrol acrylic can be made to come out of an airbrush if it's thinned 50/50 with distilled water. It wouldn't come out of my cheapo Chinese airbrush however so I took bravery in both hands and tried it with my new Aztek airbrush. The first results weren't great though, just a mass of patches, some matt, some shiny. Undeterred (ish) I tried again this morning and the results don't look too bad.

Just as well as I'm now totally out of paint (my pre-thinned Tamiya XF-24 having gone bad). I now have to consider whether to go for the green in Humbrol as I have 3 pots of it. Maybe I should brush paint it on or just find a Tamiya alternative.

I'm also still ungunging my other airbrush :cry: . It's been soaked and cleaned out 3 times and has enjoyed two goes in the ultrasonic cleaner. Hopefully, that'll have finally shifted the last of the goo.

Do you know what? I'm not that much of a fan of HUmbrol acrylics.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

There's no doubting that the Victor is a fantastic looking aeroplane though and I prefer its looks to those of the Vulcan. Keep pressing on because it's coming on well. I've never used Humbrol acrylics and I suppose I shouldn't knock 'em until I have, but that won't be anytime soon. I still love their enamel range though, I've never had issues with any of those paints and have used them by hairy stick and airbrush since God were a lad. Ditto Tamiya, whose acrylics I've also used since dinosaurs roamed the Earth, but mostly by airbrush only as I find them difficult to hand paint with due to the quick drying time. No doubt there is a proper technique but the only hand painting I do nowadays is small detail stuff.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Keep going Dazzled,nearly there mate.
BEEN A WHILE

Return to “The Falklands War”