Dazzled's Venerable Victor

For the 30th Anniversary; any subject, air, sea, or land.
Runs May 1st to June 14th.
GB Leaders: bromo, Dazzled
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dazzled's Venerable Victor

Post by Dazzled »

Here's my initial entry for this GB.

Matchbox's classic 1980's Handley Page Victor in it's original boxing with markings for three RAF K Mk.2s, including XL192, the tanker that set a new RAF endurance record in support of the Black Buck bombing mission. As I've owned this kit for nearly 30 years it seems a very appropriate time to build it.

Sprue shots to follow. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Dazzled's Venerable Victor

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Really nifty box art !!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Look at the price on that. It really is a Falklands War Vetran. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I got mine in '87 and it was a whole £7!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Yes indeed a proper veteran of the campaign kit, that should look a proper dazzler when it's done, er, Dazzled :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

And here's what's in the box.

A typically Matchbox multi-coloured kit with no painting required :roll:

Although there aren't that many parts for such a large aircraft, the box certainly doesn't have a lot of spare space in it. Some of the larger bits are separated from the sprues due to a taped fit together somewhere back in the mists of time. As I would have still been living with my parents then it would probably have been the reason that it didn't get built i.e. I realised how big it would be.

A closer look shows...

...firstly, that, in my youthful enthusiasm, I failed to remove the tape residue properly :frown: and, secondly, that, despite modellers having a dig at Matchbox for their "trench line" detailing, this kit actually has raised panel detail. Most, if not all, of this will be rescribed during the build depending on the amount of fettling the fit needs. Otherwise the mouldings are in excellent shape which is, I suppose, something you'd expect from a kit that was out of almost new moulds.

Now the decals.

I'm quite pleased with the state of the decals. Ther's no yellowing or cracking present and I had to peel the protective paper layer off to take the picture. Of course only application will tell what state they are truly in but, fingers crossed, they look pretty good considering that they, themselves are approaching 30 years old.

And finally, the instructions.

The instruction sheet is typical Matchbox with separate detail pictures and a list of recommended paints. This is the best part though...

A full size painting guide, so making mask templates should be pretty easy with no awkward resizing required. I wonder if Revell do the same with their boxing of this kit?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Ooooooh, a three colour kit, those pictures bring back some memories, she looks to be in excellent nick.Thanks for posting these pictures,regards the decals is there an aftermarket option( ie including all stencils,hi-viz panels ect) available if they turn out to be unuseable?
BEEN A WHILE
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

bromo wrote:Ooooooh, a three colour kit, those pictures bring back some memories, she looks to be in excellent nick.Thanks for posting these pictures,regards the decals is there an aftermarket option( ie including all stencils,hi-viz panels ect) available if they turn out to be unuseable?
I've found some Victor decals on Hannants site but, unfortunately, none for a Falklands aircraft. I do have faith that the originals will work however.

If they don't, I can always burst into tears :cry:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Having to rely on 30 year old decals? no pressure there then Dazzled! Hope that they're OK, I'd hate to see a grown man cry :grin: This is a mighty looking kit though and I agree that the inclusion of a full-size painting guide is a definite plus point.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Pugz636
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Pugz636 »

I have the revell boxing , so will be watching with interest..you doing the grey and green colour scheme?

2016 A:6:B:2 c: 1 ,2015 A:7 B:1 C:0 2014 A:2 B:1 C:0 (2013 A:22 B:1 C:0) (2012 A:3 B:2 C:0) (2011 A:4 B:8 C:1)
IPMS #12527
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Absolutely. 57 sqn aircraft. I believe that all Victors were grey/green in 1982. The hemp scheme didn't come in until a year or two after the Falklands.

Anyhow....

to dispel my doubts about the decals, I decided to carry out an experiment. I figured that I wouldn't be using all the decals on the sheet so it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a couple out.

First of all I cut out a little of the "common to all versions" label on the decal sheet.

This didn't go well and disintegrated as soon as it got wet (Pucara, Chinook, Canberra on standby!!)

Hoping that this was an anomaly to do with the labelling (after all these parts are never all that cohesive when they're new) I tried a different tack and cut out one of the spare a/c id numbers, a 55 sqn aircraft.

And it held together :grin:

Then I tried applying it to one of the spare wrecks I keep around for test purposes. An old Airfix Herc, as it happens.

And it went on quite nicely despite the matt surface, although it did leave a yellowy adhesive residue. I reckon that with a nice shiny surface and a bit of Microset/sol these will work out OK.

Phew!!
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Or rinse all the adhesive off the decal, dip it in Klear and apply it.

Be enjoying this build Dazzled.

Cheers
Jim
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Timely reminder, Jim, to make sure that my last bottle of Klear has safely migrated from the cleaning cupboard to the modelling bunker...not sure what to do when it is all gone...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
malepo
Active Participant

Post by malepo »

oh one to follow with interest
Cheers
Martin
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Watching with interest as I have the Revell kit in the stash waiting to turn into a White V-bomber.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.

Return to “The Falklands War”