Dazzled's Venerable Victor

For the 30th Anniversary; any subject, air, sea, or land.
Runs May 1st to June 14th.
GB Leaders: bromo, Dazzled
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Dazzled's Venerable Victor

Post by ShaunW »

Interesting stuff Dazzled and I'm digging the cardboard box spray booth :grin: Nice and simple and I'm surprised I've never given it thought before. I usually vent paint fumes to atmosphere via the open window technique, although I hasten to add that I do wear a decent mask! Overspray does, however, tend to land wherever so this might be an idea for nicking, it's certainly cheaper than those spray booths that can be bought out there! Whatever have I been thinking all these years :shock:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

ShaunW wrote:Interesting stuff Dazzled and I'm digging the cardboard box spray booth :grin: Nice and simple and I'm surprised I've never given it thought before. I usually vent paint fumes to atmosphere via the open window technique, although I hasten to add that I do wear a decent mask! Overspray does, however, tend to land wherever so this might be an idea for nicking, it's certainly cheaper than those spray booths that can be bought out there! Whatever have I been thinking all these years :shock:
Check out a benchtop soldering fume extractor. Fitted with a suitable filter they catch all the fumes for you. I wrote a post about this here http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=3765.. Hope this is helpful. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

So after a mammoth rescribing job, a mammoth filling job and a mammoth sanding job, what do you need.

Yes, a mammoth masking job. This is what I've done since getting home from work.

A football pitch worth (it seemed like ;-) ) of a combination of Tamiya tape (for the accurate bits) and standard DIY masking tape as infill (for cost-effectiveness). Any gaps were filled with Maskol. I actually ran out of the paper masking tape and had to finish the last big patch with Maskol.

On with the painting...
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I've been following this for a while and it's looking really good. I look forward to the finished article.

I'm curious though - what's that filter thingie in you cardboard box spray booth? I assume it's to remove fumes? Where did you get it, please?

Never mind, I just read on a page and the answer it there! Thanks

David
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Ohhh a nice quick masking job :shock: not. Glad i am doing the Nimrod via the hairy stick,it would be quicker to spray but all that masking aghhh! cant wait to see it with the camo on though.
BEEN A WHILE
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

And todays learning curve concludes with the fact that Humbrol acrylics are not best thinned with isopropanol. Funny though as I've used it for all other types of acrylic paint for many years with no problems. However, this is the first time I've used Humbrol's new acrylic range and, in all honesty, it'll probably be the last. Firstly, whoever designed the pot it comes in seriously needs slapping. It has two ways to open it, either a screw off cap INSIDE one end, or a flip cap at the other end :???: . Unscrew the one end and try to put it back together? No chance. An airlock forms and you get paint everywhere :evil:

Then there's the thinner issue. It says "water-based" on the container, much like other acrylics, but gives no thinning recommendations apart from "can be thinned for airbrushing". Yep, I do believe it can,provided, of course,that you're good at alchemy. Thinning it with isopropanol resulted in this.

A gloopy, sludgy mess that forms a few minutes after mixing. Guess what this did to the inside of my airbrush :cry: . i'm just glad it wasn't my new Aztek!

Luckily (I think), I bought 3 pots of this stuff so, after an hour of swearing, backflushing and treatment with some unspeakable chemicals, I managed to unclog the airbrush for a second go.

This time I tried thinning with plain ol' water. This worked... to a certain extent. The problem is that, even heavily thinned, the paint tends to thicken very quickly in the paint cup, sending little spits of paint down the brush and, inevitably, causing a blockage. The only way to overcome this was to add more water and play around with the spraying pressure. Not ideal but the only way to get any coverage at all.

Eventually I did manage to get the first thin coat on the Victor.

Trouble is that I got more on me at the same time. Of course, being this thin, more coats will be needed. I had hoped to get the grey on before bed tonight :frown: but this wont be done until tomorrow night soonest.

At the moment my airbrush is having a spin in my ultrasonic cleaner after a thorough chemical scrub. With a bit of luck I'll be able to get one more coat on tonight.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Bad luck with the paint,i tried spraying Humbrol acrylic once,thinned with water,the dam stuff started drying on the tip and clogged the airbrush up good and proper.I know you can use is it "flow enhancer"
i use enamels now with a hairy stick for any large areas,no blockages and a fairly good even finish :grin:
BEEN A WHILE
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks for the info re the spray booth stuff Dazzled, I obviously missed your thread from last month in the finishing techniques part of the forum. For acrylics I've always stuck to Tamiya and often thin them using Halfords budget screen wash (although I also occasionally use Tamiya thinners) and although the screen wash is blue, that has no effect on paint colour and I've never had a problem (touching wood firmly as I typed that statement :grin: ). I wonder if that will work with Humbrol? Other than that issue, the Victor is coming on very well.

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

just when I thought things were going well and I was getting on top of things, life throws me another curve ball. I'd actually made myself some time for the Victor and planned 3-4 hours today but our electric shower had other ideas and went bang yesterday. It actually went BANG very loudly while I was next to it and covered in soap. I damn near jumped over the shower rail. The upshot of this is that I've spent three hours or so, after 8 1/2 hours in work (since 6 AM) installing the "Easy to Fit" (actual quote from the box), "direct replacement" for our old shower. I think all of us who regularly fall subject to DIY know how these things go. Anyhow, after lots of swearing, mess, redrilling of holes and another 14 mile round trip to the shop to get a suitable pipe fitting plus eighteen quids worth of cable that I didn't actually use in the end :evil: I had a shower bolted, plumbed and wired in. Then I found out that, when the original had blown it had taken the fuse with it (we have an old house with a wired fuse box) and I have no 30 amp fuse wire in the workshop.

At that point I gave up and went for a kebab.

Unfortunately this little adventure has totally ruined any chance of progressing the Victor today :cry: and totally worn me out.

I'm off for a bath and an early night.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

I could tell you a way to get round the fuse wire thing,i have used it at work quite a few times to get me out the poo on a major breakdown only as a temporary thing while someone went and got some fuse wire ,but i dont want you getting electrocuted before you finish the Victor :-D enjoy the bath and relax the Victor will be waiting tomorrow. :grin:
BEEN A WHILE
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

What a bum day Dazzled. We have a take-away here in Pontefract which does very large kebabs that I can recommend highly, especially on a day like you've just had, might go cold on a trip to Wales though :grin:

IPMS#12300
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

He could re-heat it,shouldn't hurt as i believe most kebab meat is re-heated at least several times before you finaly stagger in and buy one
BEEN A WHILE
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

If you're lucky it's been cooked through before being warmed up :ha:

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I only go for the shish kebabs. The elephant's leg on a spit doesn't appeal to me at all :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

No further Victor progress to report, I'm afraid. The distraction of the shower incident meant that I didn't pay as much attention to my airbrush as I should have with regards to getting it properly cleaned after my last session. Subsequently, the wonderful Humbrol acrylics, that I thought I'd flushed out, have left some seemingly baked on deposits in my airbrush, which will now be out of action while I soak it in some nasty stuff. :evil: So finishing is looking decidedly unlikely at the moment. :frown:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “The Falklands War”