Two Three Alpha Scorpion, 3 Troop, 'B' Sqn Blues and Royals

For the 30th Anniversary; any subject, air, sea, or land.
Runs May 1st to June 14th.
GB Leaders: bromo, Dazzled
Boldman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Two Three Alpha Scorpion, 3 Troop, 'B' Sqn Blues and Royals

Post by Boldman »

So this is my plan... This is the box:

and here is the sprue shot.

The flash glare is obscuring the Eduard etch set and you can also see the Accurate Armour resin tracks, although I doubt if I'll be using all of them - I might just use enough to reduce the tension in the rubber tracks that come with the kit. I've actually got the Fruimodel metal tracks as well but they are reserved for later this year for the up-armoured Scimitar I'm planning ;) On order from Accurate Armour is a set of crew which ought to have the correct helmets for this period (well at least I think they do from looking a the photos, click here).

Now for the subject... 4 Scorpions, 4 Scimitars and a Samson went to the Falklands from 3 and 4 Troop, 'B' Sqn, The Blues and Royals. I've spent some time trying to identify which particular vehicles they were, which has not been easy considering the paucity of photos from this time! Thankfully the Osprey Scorpion book by Chris Foss and Simon Dunstan has some cracking nuggets of information and a couple of very useful photos such as this one linked to Google Books.

The caption of that photo give the most perfect information, this is Two Three Alpha. here is a larger version of that photo that I found elsewhere

In addition I found another photo which also looks like it is 23A:

You can see from this photo that the front registration numbers have been painted over and the bridging plate also painted over. Now further along in the Osprey book is a drawing taken from the famous photo of a Scimitar concealed with camo nets and tarp:

What is really interesting about the drawling is it identifies the Scimitar as two three charlie and shows that it had the rear registration still visible along with the convoy stripes, plus the 'B' Squadron insignia in red on the turret and the movement information codes CHALK FAW RAW AUP stenciled on the turret. The Blues and Royals regimental insignia has also been painted over.

Interestingly I found another photo of 23C:

which shows the sort of layout at the rear, which matches what you can see on 23A in the previous picture.

So the only piece of information I'm missing is the registration number of the Scorpion 23A... Anyone got any idea where I might find that out?

Apart from that I'm raring to go... well once I've finished the Aliens Dropship, oh and the 1:32 Revell Hawker Hunter that I am painting to look like the Miss Demeanour display bird... Hmm, I hope to be able to START this before the end of May...
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Two Three Alpha Scorpion, 3 Troop, 'B' Sqn Blues and Roy

Post by Dazzled »

Sorry, can't help with the registration number but brilliant looking kit and great research. Looking forward to the build :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

this looks like it will be a cracking subject to build......look forward to following it as well
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Very nice subject choice, looking forward to following your build of it.
BEEN A WHILE
gengriz
Active Participant

Post by gengriz »

I am just completing something similar using the Airfix 1/76 kit -

I used the IWM Phot Archives for most of my research - they are avialable online and have several of the photos you have shown above:

FredT

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/searc ... er_page=10
50+ years of modelling: http://www.gengriz.co.uk
Recently retired after completing the biggest and most amazing construction kits in the whole world, EVER:
http://youtu.be/2syAt3jXq4s[/color]
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great subject choice and it'll make a nice alternative to the aviation builds. I built the Scimitar version of this kit, OOB save for a few added details, in overall white UN colours and enjoyed the build very much. As for track sag, I took a chance on gluing the kit supplied track to the road wheels and it worked very well. I look forward to your efforts on this one.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Excellent choice, and having seen your other armour builds I know this is going to be another cracker. For the VRN have you tried the Alvis site?

http://afvsociety.co.uk/index.html;

They may hold records of the vehicles that served over there.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Any progress to share on this?
BEEN A WHILE
Boldman

Post by Boldman »

No sorry - I won't be starting it until I finish the Miss Demeanour Hunter (see link in sig) which has a deadline of next Monday as I go on holiday for a week after that... Now I've just realised that the GB only goes on until 14th June so looks like I'll have a busy 3 weeks after I come back from holiday...
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Just enjoy your holiday and look forward to the models waiting for you when you come home :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Boldman

Post by Boldman »

So here I am back from holiday and even though the Miss Demanour Hunter isn't finished, I am putting it aside because I can't wait any longer to begin the Falklands Scorpion!

First off, in the photos I took before, you couldn't see the photoetch set very well so lets remedy that straight away:

There is a LOT to this set and I don't think I'll be using all of it, but there are bound to be some very useful bits!

So now onto the build. The instructions start you off with the roadwheels and suspension. Well before that if you take a look at the 4th photo at the top of this thread, namely:

you'll see that the middle front of the "skirt" is much thinner than the rest. Dunno why, this should be where the headlamps go, but they were removed and obviously something else went too. So to replicate that I've cut out a section of the skirt and replaced it with a wide strip of photoetch border that was hanging about:

Then there are lots of roadwheels, drive wheels and return wheels to assemble and I've already painted them

they will get a heavy weathering later. Now, this brings me on to a question for all you CRV(T) experts out there: how heavily worn did the roadwheels get? I know on the Chally, the rubber wheels got very worn - I made an effort on my Chally 1 Mk 3 last year to represent that.

So thats the progress so far, more to come!
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

It always surprises me just how small these vehicles are.
Good progress to date and more, please.

Regards,
Bruce
Boldman

Post by Boldman »

To continue, on close examination of the top deck, you see the engine vents raised up above the surface:

This is for the newer Scimitars and not for the Scorpion, so this needs fixing. First cut out the engine vent

then refit it with a suitable plate from thin plastic card:

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

So is that now flush with the deck?

Regards,
Bruce
Boldman

Post by Boldman »

Yes its flush with the plate which would be bolted to the deck. Next I am scratching up that shroud over the engine air intake.

Return to “The Falklands War”