Splash's Wessex 5 & Sea Harrier

For the 30th Anniversary; any subject, air, sea, or land.
Runs May 1st to June 14th.
GB Leaders: bromo, Dazzled
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Splash's Wessex 5 & Sea Harrier

Post by splash »

MerlinJones wrote:All pictures I have of Falklands SHARs seem to have grey intakes, at least in the openings...

Sorry I'm late to respond. The boxart looks correct.

Regards,
Bruce
:drool2: Dhooooo no problem easily fixed.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The Wessex is now on the bench and started. As I'm closing the back door I have just given the rear cabin a blow over with dark grey and added the seat,s as the seat webbing can be seen throught the windows, one thing to watch out if you build the RN Wessex 5, Italeri would have you put the bubble windowo on the port side at the rear, it should go in the forward port window and the rear is flat.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

novokits wrote:splash, please let me see port and starboard in intake and canopy frame area of your FRS.1
I think go back to complete build my kit
Is this what you wanted?

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Great progress Splash. Love the Wessex particularly :)

Just one question. I don't think that Italeri would make such an elementary error, but how many auxilliary intake doors are there on the sides of the intakes?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Dazzled wrote:Great progress Splash. Love the Wessex particularly :)

Just one question. I don't think that Italeri would make such an elementary error, but how many auxilliary intake doors are there on the sides of the intakes?
Hi Dazzled

Eight each side, the bottom four are closed and the others slightly open, they are OK but not as good as the Airfix new Harriers that have a choice of closed for inflight and open for at rest.

Regards
Splash
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

splash wrote:

Hi Dazzled

Eight each side, the bottom four are closed and the others slightly open, they are OK but not as good as the Airfix new Harriers that have a choice of closed for inflight and open for at rest.

Regards
Splash
I dunno how to tell you this but I did work on Harriers for a few years and all marks of Harrier and Sea Harrier have 7 doors a side, largely down to the fact that the fuselage aft of the cockpit was of one standard design accross the board. I remember them particularly because they were an absolute pig to fit. You basically had to wire-lock the bolts in blind and one-handed. It was only good if we had a particularly obnoxious apprentice and we wanted to make him cry ;-)

The open/closed thing is about right as the doors weren't sprung, they just kind of "flopped about" so the top 3 doors would always be open on a parked aircraft while the bottom three would be closed. The middle door could be in either position.

I'd have thought that Italeri might have got this basic part of the design correct.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Dazzled wrote:
I dunno how to tell you this but I did work on Harriers for a few years and all marks of Harrier and Sea Harrier have 7 doors a side, largely down to the fact that the fuselage aft of the cockpit was of one standard design accross the board. I remember them particularly because they were an absolute pig to fit. You basically had to wire-lock the bolts in blind and one-handed. It was only good if we had a particularly obnoxious apprentice and we wanted to make him cry ;-)

The open/closed thing is about right as the doors weren't sprung, they just kind of "flopped about" so the top 3 doors would always be open on a parked aircraft while the bottom three would be closed. The middle door could be in either position.

I'd have thought that Italeri might have got this basic part of the design correct.
it's close enough for government work. grey with a pointy black nose and wings is close enough for me.

What squadrons were you on. I only worked on Sea Vixens and F4K's before changing over to Helicopter Aircrewman.

Regards
Splash
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Dazzled wrote:
splash wrote:

Hi Dazzled

Regards
Splash
I dunno how to tell you this but I did work on Harriers for a few years and all marks of Harrier and Sea Harrier have 7 doors a side, largely down to the fact that the fuselage aft of the mess* was of one standard design accross the board. I remember them particularly because they were an absolute pig to fit. You basically had to wire-lock the bolts in blind and one-handed. It was only good if we had a particularly obnoxious apprentice and we wanted to make him cry ;-)

I count eight in this photo?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Nav ... 1d47649563

and this

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Nav ... 1177878/L/
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

splash wrote:
Dazzled wrote:

it's close enough for government work. grey with a pointy black nose and wings is close enough for me.

What squadrons were you on. I only worked on Sea Vixens and F4K's before changing over to Helicopter Aircrewman.

Regards
Splash
On the first picture I can only see four clearly (dodgy eyesight!). On the second one I see seven. There's no door on the very bottom as it tends to suck nasty stuff directly into the engine.

I wasn't in the RAF but I worked as a civilian airframe tech at RAF St Athan for a few years in the 1990s, mostly on Harriers but with some time on Jaguars and VC10s, plus some time in structures bays on components including a couple of jobs for the BBMF (a Hurricane canopy and a Spitfire rudder). Our job wasn't line maintenance but deep overhaul. Basically, we ripped 'em apart and stuck 'em back together ;-)

However many, I'm sure it'll turn out as an ace model with you building it. I built an Airfix GR7 a few years ago (the same as the type I worked on) and even I wasn't pedantic enough to open up the top 3 doors on each side.

As you say, even with eight it's good enough for government work. God knows, when I worked for the government we weren't that fussy :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Dazzled wrote: There's no door on the very bottom as it tends to suck nasty stuff directly into the engine.
This might be the issue, I assumed there was a door at the bottom and counted that, although I could not see one. So the answer could be seven and they have got it right. :-D
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Nice progress there Splash, you are getting to be a dab hand at these multi-build GB's. :-D
Dazzled wrote:
Nice nugget of info to tuck away for future builds. Thanks guys.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

Is this what you wanted?
Yes! Thank you! Good result! I'll be back to my SHAR :mrgreen:
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

A bit more progress on the Sea Harrier, I have started to add the decals and they gone on with no problems.

novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

nice..
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Decals :shock: When did that get painted? Absolutely flying along with this Splash. Nice work.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4

Return to “The Falklands War”