Splash's Wessex 5 & Sea Harrier

For the 30th Anniversary; any subject, air, sea, or land.
Runs May 1st to June 14th.
GB Leaders: bromo, Dazzled
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Splash's Wessex 5 & Sea Harrier

Post by splash »

Hi guys sorry for the lack of updates, I have been playing over in the Gnat GB with three Gnats on the go.

The bulk of the work on the Gnats is now over. so I will get back to working on the Harrier and Wessex.

Does anyone have any scale drawings of the Wessex 5's weapons platform that fits over the wheels? I have several photos but just need a plan view looking down on top of it.

Thanks for any help.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Today I have been out to the Fleet Air Arm Museum to get some photos of the Wessex 5 they have just restored.

This has raised a few issues with the kit that will need sorting. The panels on the nose are all wrong on the Wessex 5 it looks like Italeri have copied the Wessex 3 panels and they are not the same. When I get some time I will publish the images to show what is wrong.

Further updates when I work out what needs changing.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The good news is they have not got it wrong with the nose panels all they have done is add extra engraved line that don't exists, so a dab of filler will sort that out :-D .

But now it time to have a rant :twisted: , I fully appreciate and like the idea that companies produce kits with several options for different marks of a/c :-D , for example Italeri do the wessex 3 and Wessex 5 by including different noses, dog kennels and extras like the radar on the Wessex 3.

My gripe is that some times they mix up the different types on the instructions :twisted: , for example on some Wessex they have hand holds on the tail which you have to drill out four holes, now on the Wessex 5 instructions, the parts list shows the two U shaped parts as not used, but in the instructions later on it shows the two parts fitted? also the location of the HF arial supports nearest to the cockpit, Italeri would have you put them on a panel that in real life is a servicing platform that opens up allowing the ground crew to work on the Rotor Head.

Now I know a lot of this is nit picking and I should have done my research before drilling out the holes :oops: , but how is this for a major blunder that I have only just noticed and now will have to go back and fix my other two Wessex that I built for the Helicopter GB :evil: .

When the Wessex was built in the USA before Westlands got their hands on it, it was called the UH-34A Choctaw and the very early UH-34 rotor blades span clock wise when looking down from above, on later versions they reveresed the dircection of the rotor head. here is the problem, Italeri have built the rotors on the Wessex 5 going the correct Anti Clockwise direction but they have not changed the direction of rotation for the tail rotor. to correct this I will have to cut of all my tail rotor blades and turn them 180 degrees. :shock:
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

How's the builds coming along Splash?
BEEN A WHILE
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

bromo wrote:How's the builds coming along Splash?
Progress is slow on the Wessex, I have now been out to Yeovilton and taken some photos of one of the Wessex 5's I used to fly in, this has spurred me on to add more detail than I initially intended, plus spot all the errors Italeri have made.

The Sea Harrier has just run out of steam whilst I have been playing on the Gnat GB, but will be refueled and flight ready some time over the bank holiday weekend, it only needs decals and all the little bits adding.

I’m looking at a definite one finished on time, with a possible second, subject to me not getting carried away.

Regards
Splash
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Back to work on the Wessex.

I have added the undercarriage and will start to add some of the external plumbing and wires when it sets.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The pipe work on the kit is a bit over scale and missing the wiring to the weapons point so I'm going to remove it and add some new pipes made from lead wire.

I have also decided to build the Wessex with its tail and blades folded as it would have been in the hanger. So the tail has been cut off.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I have now added the weapon hard points and all the electrical cables followed by the larger pipe work.

I'm happy with the way it's turned out, I think the lead wire is more in scale than that of the kit.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

A good day at the bench.

Several things sorted out, I noticed on the doghouse, Itelari had moulded an indent down the centre, that is not there on the real thing, this was easily fixed with a strip of plastic card. I have detailed the tail folds by filling them with miliputty and plastic strips, (I have just tacked it on with blue tack for the photo)

I have also cut out the nose grill and will now have to find a thin net to fit behind it.

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Superb stuff Splash. You're right, that pipework looks so much better than the kit moulded version.

And the tailfold detail....just terrific. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

A bit of luck the wife had a small piece of net that was about right for the Wessex's intake guard, what do you think?

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Looks just the part ;-)

Did you tell your wife or are you blaming moths for the hole in the net curtain? :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Some great improvements there splash as dazzled said the wiring looks miles better,great job.
BEEN A WHILE
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Thanks Dazzeld and Bromo, I'm happy with the way is going, I think the extra time spent on the little things will make a difference in the final finish, but it means I might not have time to finish it on time.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Another good day at the bench, I have added hydraulic pipes to the rescue hoist and given the whole a/c a coat of green.

Now the nose has had a coat of green I'm really happy with the way the net turned out on the intake guard.

Return to “The Falklands War”