BAE Nimrod (Worlds largest fighter at the time)

For the 30th Anniversary; any subject, air, sea, or land.
Runs May 1st to June 14th.
GB Leaders: bromo, Dazzled
bromo
On a long, long journey

BAE Nimrod (Worlds largest fighter at the time)

Post by bromo »

Well after spending the last few days trying desperatly to decide on something to build, cause i had nothing in the stash :oops: i suddenly realised this morning i had the 1/72 Nimrod and it came with a Falklands option :lol: This is XV234, MR.2P of No 201 Squadron based from Ascension Island.All the bit's are still in there bags so i will be having a shufty at the parts later.I will post the box and sprue shots later in the week when i have more time.
BEEN A WHILE
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: BAE Nimrod (Worlds largest fighter at the time)

Post by Dazzled »

Good for you bromo. I know you were disappointed at Airfix's lack of urgency in getting their new kits out but I'm glad you've got something sorted out. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Cheers Dazzled,looking at the parts last night this is going to be one large model when its finished. :shock: :grin:
BEEN A WHILE
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Well having cleared the bench and surrounding area building can began at last, here is some pics of the parts ect,
Let the glueing begin.
BEEN A WHILE
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Looks like a mini-mountain to climb bromo :)

I hope you have plenty of bench space.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Brews wrote:I'm having trouble making the connection between "Nimrod" and "Fighter". :)
The Nimrods were patroling out of Acsension Island down to the Falklands as the fleet sailed south.The Argentines were using converted Boeing 707's to shadow the fleet,the Nimrod's could see the 707's and clearence was given to arm the Nimrods with Sidewinders :lol: four were fitted two on each wing with the intention of downing the 707's.After fitting and clearence though the Nimrod crews never saw the 707's again.So in a way being armed with four Aim 9 sidewinders the Nimrods were the largest fighter aircraft in the world at the time.The British at this time seemed to have a thing for hanging offensive weaponry off of very large aircraft, sidewinders on the Nimrod and anti radiation missles off of Vulcans ;-)
BEEN A WHILE
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Dazzled wrote:Looks like a mini-mountain to climb bromo :)

I hope you have plenty of bench space.
Loads of bench space now :-D its a large kit but hopefuly the main airframe should be together by the end of the week :grin:
BEEN A WHILE
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Converted airliners dogfighting, that would have been a sight to see :grin: There certainly is a lot of plastic in that box Bromo, it looks like an excellent kit.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

ShaunW wrote:Converted airliners dogfighting, that would have been a sight to see :grin: There certainly is a lot of plastic in that box Bromo, it looks like an excellent kit.
It would of been interesting,can you imagine it "Bogey" 707, 6 o'clock low,i have tone,Fox one :shock: There is a lot of plastic and it is a very nice kit especially as i paid just over £15.00 from Airfix for it :-D what i am going to do with it when it's done though,i dont know :???: any tips or advice
BEEN A WHILE
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Well i managed a couple of hours this afternoon,seeing as the sun is shining for once Mrs Bromo has had me in the garden catching up on jobs :cry:
Still Bob,Harry and Fred have been painted,and there office is ready for them,
The fuselage windows have been fitted,most were a snap fit :) although i have run some Micro crystal kleer around them as well.Once the are fully dry i will mask them before joining the two halves together.
The bomb bay and bulkheads has been assembled and given its first coat of H166,so far all parts have fitted very well
I am currently working on the intakes, the two halves fit very well but there is still a seam to deal with.
Oh well its getting near Beer o'clock for me as no work tomorrow, and the forecast is for rain all day(naturally) so more modelling time for me :lol: :lol:
BEEN A WHILE
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Well the weather this afternoon was rubbish :lol: so more progress was made.All the windows were masked with Tamiya tape and the cockpit,bulkheads and bomb bay were fitted to one side.The fit was very good with positive locations for everything,
Then remembering to fit the rudder and 20g of nose weight the fuselage halves were joined using liquid polly a section at a time this way you can get a very good joint.Some filler will be needed in places but not a massive amount,
The intakes are together and are waiting for there second coat of white.Next step is the wing assembly then to fit them to the fuselage.Things will then get a bit awkward i think with wielding such a large model round the bench :grin: Another day off on Friday so my target of having the airframe together by the end of the week should be on.
BEEN A WHILE
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

You're making good progress with this Bromo, it'll be a big beastie once the wings are on!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

ohoooooo that's a big one you have there Bromo.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

ShaunW wrote:You're making good progress with this Bromo, it'll be a big beastie once the wings are on!
Cheers Shaun, i am already scratching my head trying to figure out where to put it when its finished :roll:
BEEN A WHILE
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

splash wrote:ohoooooo that's a big one you have there Bromo.

Regards
Splash
Cheers Splash, i think Mrs Bromo may disagree though :-D
BEEN A WHILE

Return to “The Falklands War”