Masterbox 1/72 Mk.1 Male Tank

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
madmike
Getting well comfy!

Masterbox 1/72 Mk.1 Male Tank

Post by madmike »

After completing the Masterbox Mk.1 "female" build a month or so ago, I made a start on the Mk.1 "male".

As per usual the kit parts are easy to work with though needed a little more clean up than the Mk.1 "female" version.

The plastic is brittle and parts need careful removal from sprues. I was prepared for parts that had broken building the "female" version and this again occurred, even after I took more care.

There is a little distortion of the vinyl tracks which appears to be slight mis-mould. Once painted however, it is not as noticeable.

I chose to use Vallejo English Uniform as recommended in many discussion groups in preference to the much darker chocolate brown colour in the Mig WW1 armour set.

In contrast to my earlier rather muddy Mk1 Female build, this build will be a dusty one.

I have also purchased Eureka Miniatures very nice 20mm WW1 British tank crew to add to the build.

The two images taken with my iPhone show my build halfway through weathering.

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Masterbox 1/72 Mk.1 Male Tank

Post by JamesPerrin »

The weathering looks very effective already.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'll second that !

A discussion of your techniques would be helpful; I am using Vallejo more and could stand tolearn something about color selection, mixing, thinning, etc ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TobyC »

That's an astonishingly good build. Interesting re the colour as I have the same kit and would've gone for the Mig Ammo variety.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
iggie

Post by iggie »

That looks good enough already! I'm sure it's going to look excellent when you have completed the weathering :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
malepo
Active Participant

Post by malepo »

Looks good
Cheers
Martin
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

Looking very good already. Looking forward to more mud (or dust if you must...)!!!
Neil

'With every model I learn a little more...and then the next one takes longer!'
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one, the weathering has got off to a promising start. What are you using? modern proprietary washes or diluted oils? bit of dry brushing as well? Do tell us your weathering secrets Mike - they're safe with us :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
madmike
Getting well comfy!

Post by madmike »

Thanks every one :)

I thinned Vallejo Model Colour English Uniform with distilled water and a drop of retarder and base coated with an airbrush. Several thin passes was all that was needed.

Once dry, I used Mig's excellent dark wash thinned with lighter fluid. Multiple passes were used and then blending with clean lighter fluid to streak and soften the shading.

I then went over the raised details with a lightened shade of the base colour, followed by pin washes of dark wash in selected areas.

Tracks were repainted in Vallejo flat black, dry brushed with chocolate brown and washed with burnt ochre oils. A further wash of water and Mig dark mud blended the tracks with the rest of the kit. I also highlighted wear areas using a very old tinlet of Humbrol polished steel.

I then used Mig dark mud building up dusty areas as shown. Flat areas of the tank were lightened using a careful application of Mig Europe dust to "streak the finish and fade paintwork.

Well that is it to date. Will be getting back to weathering tonight as well as start the tank crew. :)
Titan

Post by Titan »

That's looking very good Mike, looking forward to seeing the crew now.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark

Post by Dazzled »

Terrific model and great paint effects. I might give your method a go myself. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
madmike
Getting well comfy!

Post by madmike »

Below is an in-progress iPhone image of three of the set of six AB Miniatures 20mm WW1 tank crew sold by Eureka Miniatures here in Australia. These are finely sculpted white metal figures that have recently been released.

These have been painted using Vallejo paints using blending methods to highlight the very nice detail in each figure.

The iPhone camera really shows up the most minute flaws but to the Mk.1 eyeball, they look really nice and I am quite happy so far. Bit more work on each and then it is on to the base and final work on the Mk.1 Male.

Sorry they are not as in focus as they should be, but 20mm is pretty small to take pics of with an iPhone :)

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent work Mike, I can't get much larger 1/35th figures to look anything like as good as those!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I really like those figures they buzz with character and your painting of them is superb.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
madmike
Getting well comfy!

Post by madmike »

More progress leading up to Christmas.

Started work on the base and you can see in one of the images, a quick arrangement to see if everything all fits. The figures are designed to display in a semi circle around the officer. All is needed is to ensure proper placement.

The base was done using celluclay and painted with a variety of earth colours in an effort to achieve shades of the dark soil on the Somme. I mixed some Mig Russian Earth pigment into the base paintwork to darken to an appropriate shade. Some patchy grass and grass tufts were added to busy up the base. There is still more to do, but it is looking quite good now.

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”