Polish Armour Colours 1939

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
LarryH57
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Polish Armour Colours 1939

Post by LarryH57 »

I'm looking to build one of these little kits of the TKS from 'First to Fight' (its a 1/72 scale kit from Poland sold via PSC).

http://henk.fox3000.com/firsttofight/01/2/04.jpg;

As I have a stock of Humbrol paints I was wondering what ones from their range would be a good match for the Vallejo colours 'Dark Sand 847', 'Reflective Green 890' and 'Saddle Brown 940'

Incidentally the colours on the box mention 'Flat Earth 983' and its not certain that this is to be used in place of the Saddle Brown. Perhaps the Flat Earth is to dirty the tracks or is the Saddle Brown for the exhaust only?

I have had some uncertain comparisons off the Web for the suggested Humbrol matches to Vallejo and the colour drawings I have found in books etc suggests that I could just as well use the German Army post Feb 1943 colours!

Thanks in advance
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Polish Armour Colours 1939

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm not a Polish camo expert ...

Even the Vallejo cross-refs are questionable, but they recommend:
847 = Hu.071 Oak
890 = Hu.102 Army Green
940 = Hu.133 Brown
but note a couple of these are satin ??

I have seen a good looking Polish tank using:
847 = Hu.93 Desert Yellow
890 = Hu.105 Marine Green
940 = Hu.160 Camo Red Brown

Perhaps some variation on these ? When in doubt put a lot of dust on it ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone to tell you that any particular colour choice is "wrong", Polish armour colours is hardly an extensively-researched topic, I think! So long as you get something that "looks right" (i.e., matches suggested artwork schemes) I think you would be OK.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
Marek
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Marek »

I cannot actually agree with Bruce, the subject is fairly researched, the problem being language of sources until recent times. I have to agree though that as long as you get something that looks right it is going to be OK. The TKS in 72 is such a small adventure that I would not even dare to comment on exact mix that is right at most light angles. Some webpages worth visiting are:
http://derela.republika.pl/armcarpl.htm;
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx ... rt_id=2167;
https://szlachcichobbies.wordpress.com/ ... -tutorial/;
http://www.modelarstwo.org.pl/forum/vie ... php?t=2920;

The last one is in Polish, but if you scroll down there is a list of Humbrols used to paint each of shown types.

TKS and Wz.34
117/156
With the 72 scale this is very good match indeed.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Marek wrote:I cannot actually agree with Bruce, the subject is fairly researched, the problem being language of sources until recent times.
I apologise, I was showing my English-only bias there. I know there have been some recent works published, too, but not necessarily easy/cheap to obtain outside of Poland.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

Surely some mistake with quoting Humbrol 63, 86 and 117, as 63 is much like a dark Africa Korps yellow, and as for 86 and 117 they are both green?
Marek

Post by Marek »

LarryH57 wrote:Surely some mistake with quoting Humbrol 63, 86 and 117, as 63 is much like a dark Africa Korps yellow, and as for 86 and 117 they are both green?
I have not vetted these colors by myself, have to admit that, but the the dark yellow/sand seems probable, the light olive (86), 117 sounds OK too. The TKS done this way looks the part (last website I quoted). One thing though, the light is close proximity and intensity, so colors look slightly differently in these pictures. At the end it comes down to modulation I guess. I used olive green and sand on Vickers and 7Tp so far, until they looked more like what I saw in pictures.

If you get a polish site with colors for camo you want me to translate, let me know. I like to learn since it is part of our modelling hobby!

Bruce, I was not offended in any way! You are splendid modeler and definitely know subjects very well. I was simply trying to point to some places I have used before. You are right though with respect to the availability of anything printed outside Poland. Back in 80ties, there was none in Poland and some in the West, now at least we have few publications and whole lot on internet ( * trust should be limited :))
Przemek
Active Participant

Post by Przemek »

Hi Larry!
If you are looking for a set of acrylic paints to Polish tanks, it makes them AGAMA from Czech. He paints them great. But I don't know, from where they have formers...
On the Polish historical and modeling forums for many years are discussing about our colous and ... we have not 100% certainty : /
Replicas and the originals in museums are painted differently, and preserved the colors .. Well, can see in them the influence of time, weather conditions ..
Here is formers for AGAMA - polish colour.
And it's a part from Mirage Hobby instruction:

I hope this information be useful :)

Regards!
Przemek
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

Przemek,

Thanks for the information. Regarding what you have attached which of the three colours A to P would typically be used on a Polish TKS.
Przemek
Active Participant

Post by Przemek »

Larry!
This image should help you:
And you look at these below - TKS'y of renovation in Poznan. Are similar, but ... different.
http://histmag.org/grafika/articles8/poznan/20.JPG
http://histmag.org/grafika/articles8/poznan/23.JPG
http://histmag.org/grafika/articles8/poznan/22.JPG

Przemek

PS. This "colour table" present all colour used on the Polish tank and cars - from WZ to a 7TP. On all trucks, railway wehicles, and tanks.
In the "Japanese" camuflage was still gray colour, and all camouflage stains were framed thin black border.
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

Many thanks.

But I have one last question!

For the paint scheme did colours H,J and K go together for one scheme and M, L, and N go together for another - or could any of these colours be used randomly together?
Przemek
Active Participant

Post by Przemek »

Why the last question? ;) Ask me, I will help if I knew. And if I do not know, that I'll find out, and then I will help you :)
You can choose the colors as you like. It will definitely be good.
For example, I would have brightened the dark brown, and yellow sand made more gray.
And remember that the scale of 1/72. It is worth all colors brighter at this scale by about 20-30%. Otherwise, the model will be very dark. The more so because TKS is a small litlle baby ;)
You'll be doing more models in this series, "First to Fight - Poland 1939"?
Przemek
Marek

Post by Marek »

Przemek, I also thank you for that support mission. I have boatload of Jadar's first3fight kits on a way and a stash of 1/35 as well. Until now, I have only made 2 TKS (one in Japanese camo, rather a 'what-if') and 7TP that got lost in last move from Poland.
Przemek
Active Participant

Post by Przemek »

Marek!
I am glad that I can help sometimes. Ashamed to admit it, but I have a couple of Polish pre-war vehicles and figures in 1/72 and 1/35 and lie on the shelf .. and wait .. :)
If you want to make yourself a nice collection of Polish vehicles 1/72 from 1939 - I would recommend this page Exclusive Models - you can print and paint, models are in full versions and for free!
Regards!
Przemek

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”