Porsche Tiger

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Porsche Tiger

Post by general rocket »

For more pictures and a full report on the build head over to Group Build "Conversion".

I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Clashcityrocker

Re: Porsche Tiger

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looks like you'd fill the muzzle with dirt if you hit the brakes too hard :grin:

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's a great bit of kit bashing!

It certainly looks forward heavy compared to most other contemporary German designs, but I wonder if the concept was inspired by the success (against the Germans of course!) of the Russian tanks, and the T34 especially?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I can see from the GB thread that a lot of work went into this conversion General and what a great result 8-) I can't remember absolutely for sure, but didn't Porsche try out diesel electric propulsion for this vehicle, which lead to the unreliability? Certainly the Russian T-34 and KV-1 tanks gave the Germans food for thought and IIRC the Tiger and Panther were developed to counter those vehicles. The design of the Panther in particular was very much influenced by that of the T-34 (I read somewhere that it was suggested to the German leadership that the T-34 be simply copied but ultimately national pride prevented that from happening!).
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

ShaunW wrote:I can see from the GB thread that a lot of work went into this conversion General and what a great result 8-) I can't remember absolutely for sure, but didn't Porsche try out diesel electric propulsion for this vehicle, which lead to the unreliability? Certainly the Russian T-34 and KV-1 tanks gave the Germans food for thought and IIRC the Tiger and Panther were developed to counter those vehicles. The design of the Panther in particular was very much influenced by that of the T-34 (I read somewhere that it was suggested to the German leadership that the T-34 be simply copied but ultimately national pride prevented that from happening!).
You are right, albeit Petrol Electric. The problems where various, Cutting edge technology, over complexity and poor materials. The Ferdinand was put into production without these short comings being cured, with disastrous consequences during the battle of Kursk.
It took until the Elefant variant before the problems where largely cured.
The T34 certainly influenced the design of the Panther, but typically German they over engineered it. Once again the complexity led to reliability issues, though by the end of the war of the war these had been addressed and largely eliminated.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
celt

Post by celt »

Very odd looking tank, nice job.

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”