Chieftain Mk.2

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
gengriz
Active Participant

Chieftain Mk.2

Post by gengriz »

Continuing my current theme of British Tanks, the classic Airfix Chieftain.

For many years, the Chieftain was the best armoured and gunned tank in the world. If only it had been fitted with a reliable engine (the Leyland L60's ability to run on all fuels, from chip fat to paraffin was a nice idea, but left the Chieftain with a rather less than reliable reputation).

In combat (with the Iranians and the Kuwaitis, both against Iraq), when it was actually working, the Chieftain acquited itself very well indeed. But hey, BL built it - like so many British products of that era, a superb design that never reached its real potential.

The Airfix kit represents a very early model, missing many of the turret lumps and bumps of the more familiar later marks. Assembly is relatively trouble free (but watch the turret seam). Decals are decidedly boring, reflecting the fact that this is essentially a model of a prototype. I have given this one a few small additions (stowed cammo nets) to try and liven it up.

FredT :)

50+ years of modelling: http://www.gengriz.co.uk
Recently retired after completing the biggest and most amazing construction kits in the whole world, EVER:
http://youtu.be/2syAt3jXq4s[/color]
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Chieftain Mk.2

Post by PaulBradley »

Looks nice, Fred. I'd read about the multi-fuel engine. I wonder if that would have been an issue in W Germany - the Russians might have recognised that the BAOR was in the way by sniffing out the chip shop smell coming from the West.......
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
daz greenwood
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: Chieftain Mk.2

Post by daz greenwood »

Nice Chieftain Fred as always

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”