Matchbox Sherman Firefly Colour & Markings

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
LarryH57
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Matchbox Sherman Firefly Colour & Markings

Post by LarryH57 »

Having made a Revell / Matchbox 1/76 Firefly 'out of the box' I followed the kit instructions for the markings but it seems that for the 2nd Bn Coldstream Guards not only should it be the 1st Bn in the Guards Armoured Division but the red triangle marking for A Sqn should be yellow!

Luckily I bought two kits for a few quid when Modelzone was closing down, so the offending turret which is detachable can go on the other kit

A clear description of the markings is shown on this site, which I should have looked at first!

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx ... art_id=590;

As for the camo colour of Sherman Firefly Tanks some references suggest middle bronze green and others say olive drab (as used on Shermans delivered from the factory in the USA).

Any opinions or thoughts on this?
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Re: Matchbox Sherman Firefly Colour & Markings

Post by ntrocket88 »

My guess is that Firefly were either in British SCC2 Service Drab (brown...) if converted prior to April 1944 (conversions started in February 1944, I think?), or British SCC15 Olive Drab after that. The original Sherman used for the conversions must have been either US Olive Drab as shipped, or had already been repainted in SCC2 as some lend-lease equipment was. However, the nature of the conversion suggests that a repaint using British colors would have been required afterwards. Bronze Green would be unlikely I think, as it was only used early in WW2 (before 1941) and post war. Mike Starmer gives a good mix for SCC15, which was not the same as US Olive Drab.

Here's a Matchbox Firefly I finished in SCC15:

...And a Sexton in SCC2 with an SCC1 blue/black disruptive pattern based on original color photos taken in September 1944. There are black& white photos of Sherman in Normandy that seem to have the same kind of finish.

Hope this helps...
Neil

'With every model I learn a little more...and then the next one takes longer!'
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

Many thanks for the info;

This is my own effort from Revell / Matchbox; luckily I picked more or less the right colour though the photo has changed it I think.

I still think the markings are wrong for 1st Bn Coldstreams so watch out if you use the kit markings

LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

ntrocket88,

BTW Your Firefly looks more like a Resicast kit than Revell!
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

LarryH57 wrote:ntrocket88, BTW Your Firefly looks more like a Resicast kit than Revell!
Ha! You are very kind, but it is just the venerable old Matchbox kit. Yours looks good too. Nicely weathered and the dio looks great as well.

I think you are right about the decals that came with the kit not matching. If you can get a copy of The British Soldier: From D-Day to VE-Day by Jean Bouchery, it covers the organization and insignia of all the British Infantry, Armoured and Airborne divisions, Corps, Army, Army Group and independent Brigades. It also does a great job with uniforms, equipment (from small arms to super-heavy artillery) and vehicles. I have the older two-volume hardback, but it looks like it might have been reprinted as a single volume paperback? It doesn't get the paint colors right, though. For that, I would stick with Mr. Starmer.
Neil

'With every model I learn a little more...and then the next one takes longer!'
LarryH57

Post by LarryH57 »

I obtained Mike Starmer's book on British Army Camo in the UK, France & NW Europe 1936-45 and the paint chip in the back of the book for SC15 suggests its much darker than seems to be the case on most models shown in photos on the web and the lighter greens seen in links such as the one I attached above!

I think its time for Humbrol to come up with some EXCACT shades for Greens G3 to G5 and SCC 2 Brown and SCC 15 Olive Drab!
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by celt »

The Firefly is one of my faves,well tidy mun.

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”