Dragon 1:35 Maus

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Dragon 1:35 Maus

Post by Canuck2016 »

Good day all!

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend! Beautiful weather here on the east coast of Canada, and I wish the same for everyone here!

This is a 1:35 scale Dragon Maus which I built some time ago. I was never happy with the camouflage pattern or the weathering on this, so I resolved to try again.

I masked the running gear, then primed the hull and turret with Krylon "Cocoa Bean" paint from a rattle can. This is a very dark brown colour (like unsweetened chocolate) and I think it nicely replicates the look of worn, bare metal.

This was followed by a layer of hairspray, then a base coat of Tamiya Dark Yellow. This was then chipped with a stiff brush dipped in warm water, exposing some of the dark brown underneath.

I added the camouflage pattern using thinned Tamiya NATO Green and NATO Brown. In an effort to suggest the size of the Maus, I tried to make the camouflage similar to the splinter pattern used on German battleships at the time. I chipped the green and brown as before to expose the yellow underneath. Scratches were simulated by dragging a wet toothpick across the surface. I've seen people who can replicate scratches beautifully using paint and a fine brush, but I'm not up to this! :oops:

I gloss-coated the model, then added some decals from the spares box. Then a matte coat, and weathering using different shades of artist's oils. High points were picked out with a graphite pencil, then mud spatters were added by flicking on a mixture of pigment and water with an old brush. Exhaust stains were added by airbrushing very diluted black artist's oil paint. Rust effects on the exhausts and fenders were done with Triangle Crafts "Sophisticated Finishes".

That's it! I'm happier with the overall effect now. I may add some stowage later, but for the moment I'm calling this done!

Cheers!

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Dragon 1:35 Maus

Post by splash »

Wow what an excellent finish.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Phenomenal as always.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by general rocket »

Very good result.