SS GB

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

SS GB

Post by Purplethistle »

Dear makers of the recent BBC series SS GB,
regarding the opening scene where the Resistance guy shoots the Luftwaffe pilot and is beaten up by German troops and bundled into the back of a truck. If I were in charge of the occupying forces, I would have also sent in an armoured car or two in case there were more Resistance in the area. So, in that scene, as the truck drives away past the damaged Buck House, I would have had an armoured car drive into shot swivelling its turret threateningly. I have rectified your omission here.....you're welcome. :-D
PT

(ICM 1/48 SdKfz 222)
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: SS GB

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks Mr PT but the only running armoured car that was available to us was apparently something called a "Saladin" which I was jolly keen on as it had six wheels and a big gun but I was out voted. My view was jeez, put some German crosses on it and who would notice? that's what we've always done in the past. Well, it would appear that nowadays some of you would. Next time we'll be sure to consult you. Be warned that you might not get paid though as the licence fee hasn't gone up.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Did you actually work on that? Cool if it is the case 8-)
The reason that I was going on about the 222 being included was because of the closing scene in episode 2 when a 222 is patrolling the back streets at night. I thought, 'Well, they had access to a 222, why not use it in that opening scene where it would have portrayed the occupation more forcefully than a bunch of soldiers in a truck.'

(A wee aside....The day after episode 2 was aired I went to my LMS to order the 1/48 222 and the owner just gave me a look and asked, 'SS GB?' :-D I fear I may be becoming predictable! )

As it turns out, there were restrictions on what could be filmed in open places for fear of offending the publics sensibilities. - Ironic how the makers were hamstrung by Political Correctness whilst making a drama about the consequences of the victory of a regime that oppressed freedom! :roll:

Personally I would have voted against the Saladin. The Daimler scout in German markings was fine, Jerry had form for using captured vehicles.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

I liked the fact that they were using captured vehicles- mind you I noticed some of them had not been repainted.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
PTB11
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by PTB11 »

Lovely work and a great back story.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Purplethistle wrote:Did you actually work on that? Cool if it is the case 8-)
Sorry PT, but I should have made myself clearer. No, I have never worked in television in my life and was just having a bit of a laugh here, taking off from your address to the BBC. I have managed to take early retirement following on from being made redundant last year although I seem to have little time for modelling as the wife has found a million jobs for me to do around the house and garden!

This is a great build and the backdrop sets the model off very well indeed.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”