BTR-80A 1:72

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
Softscience
Staring out the window

BTR-80A 1:72

Post by Softscience »

The last of my recently built Soviet trifecta. This little BTR is the 1:72 kit by ACE. It is a beautiful kit, but a bit tricky to build. Some of the structures (e.g., smoke grenade rack) are multi-piece PE, all grab handles are made from bent wires, parts have to measured and adjusted to ensure proper fit, and the suspension took a very long time. This is essentially a short-run kit, but for once I felt like I was modeling and not just assembling.

I've mentioned it elsehwere, an I'll say it again. I really like ACE's plastic. It reacts quite well to Tamiya Extra Thin, and disolving and then fusing into very strong structures. Great for all the butt-joints of fine tiny pieces.

I finished the model as a Soviet machine serving in Jalalabad, Afghanistan in the late 1980s. Paint is MM Acryl. Weatheirng consists of a few washes, and pigment work. I have ordered some tank riders and crew figures, so stay tuned for more pictures sometime soon.

As I said, this was an extremely rewarding build. I haven't built 1:72 armor in some years, but this relit that fire in me. I enjoyed this project much more than any of my recent 1:35 armor builds, and I think it looks much cooler on my shelf than the bigger tanks. Might be time to sell off that portion of my stash. :)
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: BTR-80A 1:72

Post by Clashcityrocker »

That's three from three :) Well built and weathered.

Nigel
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Another excellent build, the wire grab handles make a big difference to the scale appearance.

Have you tried any of Tamiya's 1/48 armour? It seems to be a nice compromise between the two main scales, and being Tamiya the kits are beautifully engineered.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Migrant wrote: Have you tried any of Tamiya's 1/48 armour? It seems to be a nice compromise between the two main scales, and being Tamiya the kits are beautifully engineered.

Yep. I love 48th scale armor. I've built probably around 20 of the kits. Mostly between 2006 and 2009. Most have been since scrapped, but I still have a few, and a few others in boxes. I'm very excited about Tamiya's Forthcoming M1A2 Abrams in 1:48 scale. It is due out very soon.
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's a cracking little build; the weathering and wear is just right
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a little jewel, excellent work 8-)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy,well tidy indeed.

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”