Sunk E-25

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
Ernie
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Sunk E-25

Post by Ernie »

This is a project I have been working on for a bit, it is a resin cast German E-25 that has partially sunk. I was very fortunate to attend a seminar featuring Iain Hamilton of AK Products USA, it was a hands on seminar on using AK's weathering products and this was our pratice piece. We did not have time to finish it all at once so I have been working on it off and on since.
The front idlear wheel and track are from the spares box, from a DML Panther II kit. The water effect was made from using a Woodlands Scenics water kit. The kit gives you a very dark grey paint as the base under the water and this was used under the first layer of water. On top of the first layer of water I slathered on a coat of dk. brown in a random manner so areas of the dk. grey still showed through for added depth. AK's dark and light slime were applied with a sponge to repersent algee in the swampy looking water. The leaves are an old Hudson & Allen product that I dropped onto the surface before the last coat of water dried.

I still have a bit of work to do on this before I can call it finished, but it is getting close.
Ernie
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: Sunk E-25

Post by Softscience »

I love it. I have a similar water product from Vallejo. It has the consistency of white glue. Can you give me any advice on how to get a smooth layer like you achieved?
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Dude, that is beyond cool!!! That rocks
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Hi Ralph, thank you,
I *BELEIVE* both products are similar. The best advice I can give is make sure your base is flat, and don't mess with the material after the first 5 or 10 minutes at the most. Add it to your base gradually, use a soft round brush to "push" the material up to objects that might rise above the surface of the water (rocks, bridge pilings etc), then add more material to fill the surrounding areas, I transfered some of the material from its bottle to a small plastic medicine cup. The material skins over on the surface, but you can't really tell it is happening, resist any urges to mess with it at this point. Put the base somewhere dust free to dry for 24 hours.

The water is really not that smooth in some areas as I had to spend too much time working it around the nooks and crannies of the vehicle, and the base was not compleately flat so I had to try to shim it up as the water dried to keep a consistent depth around the base. One other thing to watch for, the material will tend to creep up the edges of protrusions, I think you can see it around the inside edges of the base, one of the finished examples at the seminar was finished with Vallejo's still water and it exibited the same chacteristic. No one had a cure for releaving the surface tension of the product to eliminiate this. You can also increase the shine of the surface and protect it somewhat by brushing on a cote of Future after the water dries.....but it won't fix any major flaws......you can probably guess how I know this ;-) Hope this helps,
Ernie
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:Dude, that is beyond cool!!! That rocks
Thanks Dirk, really appericiate it!
Ernie
Jdubya
Getting well comfy!

Post by Jdubya »

Really impressive Ernie, very atmospheric and the leaves are a great touch.

All the best

James
dknights

Post by dknights »

Nice.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Awesome!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
pilgrim1
Getting well comfy!

Post by pilgrim1 »

you did a very nice implementation of water
I apologize for the incorrect english

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”