It is currently February 22nd, 2018, 6:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 7:33 pm 
Offline
Senior Service Rotorhead
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 11:02 am
Posts: 9462
Location: Somerset England
I was looking a my stash of 1/76 Churchill tanks and noticed that Airfix over the years has changed the type of hatch on the side of the tank sponsons.

I have a blister pack version that has round hatches and a much later kit that has square hatches, today I picked up one of the latest issues and it’s gone back to round.


When did the Churchill’s get the round hatches? I understand it was a mod to reduce stress so I’m assuming it’s the later tanks that had it.

Does anyone know what marks started using the round hatches?

Regards Splash

_________________
Currently sitting on my bench is far too many unfinished kits.


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 1:01 am 
Offline
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Joined: December 4th, 2012, 11:58 pm
Posts: 193
That's strange as I always thought that the Airfix kit was a Churchill Mark VII with round side hatches. Perhaps they have used someone else's mould for the new kits. It would be good to see some photos of the different version in your stash


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 1:08 am 
Offline
Active Participant
User avatar

Joined: July 2nd, 2012, 11:49 pm
Posts: 730
Location: New Jersey, USA
The only version of real life Churchill that had round hatches was the Mk VII (and VIII, the close support version of the Mk VII). To the best of my knowledge, Airfix only produced Mk VII and with round hatches...? My oldest Airfix ones have them and the latest production ones too. Mk VII also had the distinctive slab-sided, one-piece cast turret. All Crocodile were converted from Mk VII and these were the first Mk VII to see action in NW Europe, where initially most Churchill were earlier, less well armored versions. Could your Airfix Churchill with square side hatches be from a different manufacturer? The Matchbox AVRE was based on the Mk IV I believe and I think Hasegawa did a Mk IV (in 1/72) as well? Matador also offer a conversion set to make the Airfix Mk VII into a Mk IV.

Hope this helps!

_________________
Neil

'With every model I learn a little more...and then the next one takes longer!'


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 2:32 am 
Offline
Why is he so confused ?
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2011, 3:42 pm
Posts: 10232
Location: Living on a sandbar - Nags Head, NC.
Hmm, I'd look for manufacturer marks on the runner or on the hull, I think you have a ringer there.

_________________
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
All problems are soluble in stout.


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 4:25 am 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: December 20th, 2012, 1:02 am
Posts: 1173
Location: A Middle School in Gwinnett County, Georgia
ntrocket88 wrote:
The only version of real life Churchill that had round hatches was the Mk VII (and VIII, the close support version of the Mk VII). To the best of my knowledge, Airfix only produced Mk VII and with round hatches...? My oldest Airfix ones have them and the latest production ones too. Mk VII also had the distinctive slab-sided, one-piece cast turret. All Crocodile were converted from Mk VII and these were the first Mk VII to see action in NW Europe, where initially most Churchill were earlier, less well armored versions. Could your Airfix Churchill with square side hatches be from a different manufacturer? The Matchbox AVRE was based on the Mk IV I believe and I think Hasegawa did a Mk IV (in 1/72) as well? Matador also offer a conversion set to make the Airfix Mk VII into a Mk IV.

Hope this helps!



Esci did a Mk.III in 1/72 and the Hasegawa is a Mk.I or Mk.II with a 2pdr in the turret and either a 3" howitzer on the front hull (Mk.I) or a Besa (Mk.II)

_________________
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 7:19 pm 
Offline
Senior Service Rotorhead
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 11:02 am
Posts: 9462
Location: Somerset England
Thanks for your answers, I will drag out my kits again and check I’m not going mad. :roll:

If I haven’t gone mad :shock: I will photograph the different parts and show them on here.

_________________
Currently sitting on my bench is far too many unfinished kits.


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 8:10 pm 
Offline
Senior Service Rotorhead
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 11:02 am
Posts: 9462
Location: Somerset England
It’s official I have gone mad, on checking my stash, I had mistaken the image on the Airfix box as having a square hatch. :oops:

_________________
Currently sitting on my bench is far too many unfinished kits.


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 9:06 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 8:09 pm
Posts: 3155
Location: Florida, USA
splash wrote:
It’s official I have gone mad, on checking my stash, I had mistaken the image on the Airfix box as having a square hatch. :oops:

Well, at least you're not alone here :-)

David


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 9:31 pm 
Offline
Senior Service Rotorhead
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 11:02 am
Posts: 9462
Location: Somerset England
It was this kits box that I confused with the Airfix box. I think it’s a copy or re box of the Hasegawa kit even down to the box art.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Now having looked at the Airfix Kit I can see the round hatch and all the extra plate armour added to the sides and to the inside just in front of the drivers position.

Image

_________________
Currently sitting on my bench is far too many unfinished kits.


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 9:35 pm 
Offline
Senior Service Rotorhead
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 11:02 am
Posts: 9462
Location: Somerset England
dwomby wrote:
splash wrote:
It’s official I have gone mad, on checking my stash, I had mistaken the image on the Airfix box as having a square hatch. :oops:

Well, at least you're not alone here :-)

David


:ha: :ha: :ha:

_________________
Currently sitting on my bench is far too many unfinished kits.


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 5:40 pm 
Offline
Active Participant
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 4:42 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Telford
The "dreadful" thing about the Churchill is that you can use the phrase "You can never have to many Churchill's", just like the spitfire. 11 major marks, and innumerable funnies and special purpose vehicles.
It's enough to give us tank builders a head ache.

_________________
I wish, that I knew what was doing!


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 7:17 pm 
Offline
Senior Service Rotorhead
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 11:02 am
Posts: 9462
Location: Somerset England
general rocket wrote:
The "dreadful" thing about the Churchill is that you can use the phrase "You can never have to many Churchill's", just like the spitfire. 11 major marks, and innumerable funnies and special purpose vehicles.
It's enough to give us tank builders a head ache.

I fully agree it makes a great one subject theme, I’m trying to scratch build one of the more obscure versions the Canel Defence Light (CDL) over on my workbench thread.

Hence the question about the side hatch, I originally wanted to use the Airfix Kit but it’s a MkVII with the round hatch and I needed a MkIII with a square hatch.

_________________
Currently sitting on my bench is far too many unfinished kits.


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 7:44 pm 
Offline
Active Participant
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 4:42 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Telford
I'm currently going through this with the first war rhomboids.
Not helped by contradictory information on different websites.

_________________
I wish, that I knew what was doing!


Top
 Profile   
 
Churchill tank question?
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Churchill tank question?
PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 7:56 pm 
Offline
Senior Service Rotorhead
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 11:02 am
Posts: 9462
Location: Somerset England
general rocket wrote:
I'm currently going through this with the first war rhomboids.
Not helped by contradictory information on different websites.

If you building WWI tanks have you thought about card models here is an excellent link for free kits you just pint them and build as many as you want http://www.landships.info/landships/models.html#

Here is one I built in 1/72 scale

Image

_________________
Currently sitting on my bench is far too many unfinished kits.


Top
 Profile   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Macinscott 3 style by HighDefGeek